MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

White Sulphur Springs Area???

MTMNHunter

We are hoping to draw elk tags for this coming archery season. Our plans are to hunt 20 miles north of W.S.S. We'll be on a little private ground and then also US Forest service ground. Our expectations are not high. As I use to live in Missoula and it was tough around there. Now I live in Minnesota. So getting back out west is going to be very enjoyable.

What is like in the W.S.S area? We'll be hunting lower elevations, on some private ground that has one pivot. But then have some higher public ground adjacent.
This area is new to us.

Is there a good number of elk in the area? We are going to hunting first week of season if drawn. Should we add B tags if drawn? We are not expecting monster bulls, just some action here and there.

Can't wait. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

We are planning on camping.

Lots of pressure on the public. Lots of elk. Almost have to have onx maps in that part of the country. It can be frustrating but also very rewarding. Once the shooting starts most of the game will be on private. But if you put in your time and get a little luck on your side it could be a great hunt. Having a private piece to hunt will greatly help your chances as well.

Lots of pressure on the public. Lots of elk. Almost have to have onx maps in that part of the country. It can be frustrating but also very rewarding. Once the shooting starts most of the game will be on private. But if you put in your time and get a little luck on your side it could be a great hunt. Having a private piece to hunt will greatly help your chances as well.

Thanks,
Even if we are on the lower out skirts of the public lands? That's my only worry is that we don't have enough land for 2 groups of 2 hunters. Archery hunters will push the elk that much? It's been 15 years since I've moved from Missoula, and over in that area the elk just always seemed to move to higher ground and deeper in the back country.

You should be on a lower private piece. No guarantees. The bowhunters will push the elk but after opening day will probly be the best for private land. And I know that some of those elk live on private year round

Tons of elk, I seen more elk in one day there hunting opening day than two rifle seasons in Region 3. Since I’m working closer I plan to hunt the Crazy’s again. Should be some good white tails in there also. Good luck.

Tons of elk, I seen more elk in one day there hunting opening day than two rifle seasons in Region 3. Since I’m working closer I plan to hunt the Crazy’s again. Should be some good white tails in there also. Good luck.
My buddy is works for the department of transportation in that county and I hear everyday about the hundreds of elk he has seen.

I guessing the person who owns the pivot will have the best answers for you. Might want one of those haybale blinds to put up on the pivot. Having B tags too? To fill multiple tags on a bow hunt sounds tough. I'd look at possibly 2 short trips if you can swing the time. Go back later for rifle.

Ya, the B tags were just a thought.
Thanks for all the info. We can't wait to see if we get drawn (group). I sure hope the elk get pushed around.
We can't hunt the deer. Land owner won't let us. It sounds like there are a lot of big ones on the property and he only hunts them during gun season.
Thanks again. September can't come soon enough.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back