Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Whisky has no e, for peat's sake!

My liquor drawer has kind of a theme, High West double rye, Buffalo Trace, & Cowboy Whiskey with a friend from the old country Jamieson black label cask! 🥃😉

If you like the Rye, try the High West Distillery ryes out of Salt Lake City. They used to have a pour house (bar) in one of the hole in the wall Delta terminals at SLC.
Maybe they still do, but I avoid both Delta and SLC.

I tried one there years ago that sent me into an OCD deep dive on ryes.

No Eagles Rare fans here?
I've had one High West.... I think it was the double rye. Unfortunately it was in a very poorly made sazerac. So.... double whammy: bad sazerac made with a whiskey that shouldn't have been in a sazerac (imo).

I know it's popular...maybe I'll get a bottle once I work through my current supply...

If anyone likes cocktails, I have a really good one that works with cheap blended scotch:

Blood and Sand
1pt blended scotch
1pt sweet vermouth
1pt Heering cherry liqueur
1pt blood orange juice (regular OJ is fine as long as you juice it yourself)

Shake with ice for 60 seconds. Serve up with a garnish of orange peel (I'm lazy and usually skip the garnish).

This is pretty damn good.....

Attachments

• 0BA08C16-37FD-410F-BB05-2A4D9EA75839.jpeg
    0BA08C16-37FD-410F-BB05-2A4D9EA75839.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Bourbon and whiskey are basically the same. The term bourbon comes from where it was made. I believe bourbon county Kentucky.
That's apocryphal.

Bourbon is stylistically defined, but it's made(and has been made) in various places in the US. A number of bourbon makers out of Detroit for instance.

Kentucky bourbon for me. Buffalo Trace or Elijah Craig are excellent for $30 ish a bottle. If I feel like spending $40-$50, I'll pick up Four Roses single barrel or Woodford Reserve.

I am not drinker but have been known to tip a few back around camp and special occasions so I gotta go with Pendleton first then Angels Envy but only if someone is willing to split the cost. Not sure about some of the brands mentioned here but Angels Envy is NOT cheap stuff. Given the tax on liquor here in Washington and the price I don't think I could actually afford to pick up a "regular" drinking habit even if I wanted to.

Bourbon and whiskey are basically the same. The term bourbon comes from where it was made. I believe bourbon county Kentucky.
Nope,

Bourbon has to be made in new barrels and its made US. It is the only regulated "whiskey" in the US.

Whiskey can be made in anything and not regulated.

Nope,

Bourbon has to be made in new barrels and its made US. It is the only regulated "whiskey" in the US.

Whiskey can be made in anything and not regulated.
Correct. My brother and I were just discussing this. Also, to be a bourbon, it must be distilled from at least 51% corn. Most bourbon is distilled in Kentucky.

My go to scotch has always been Macallan, but for Whisky it is Pappy Van Winkle's either Rye or Bourbon, a little pricey; my favorite rye at the lower price (but very high quality) is either Redemption or Rittenhouse both pre prohibition style. Great for you heathens like Saskhunter who mix !8 YEAR OLD WITH COKE! I think Rittenhouse can be had around $25 a fifth and is good straight (a little hot), smooths out on the rocks, and this style rye is the foundation of most roaring 20's cocktails, even can be mixed with coke! The Woodinville and Atticus Jones rye's in the back row are also excellent as is a German rye, Eiffel that scored 95 for what that's worth in Whisky world competition, a malted rye that is very smooth as a result.IMG_0119.JPG

Michters and long branch are my go to’s... can’t seem to find Buffalo trace here ever.... not impressed with eagle rare considering the hype it gets from some

Colonel Taylor and Wyoming Whiskey are my staples! Que Simple Man-Lynard Skynard!!
Has Wyoming Whiskey gotten better with time? I had some when it first came out and it was awful. I may try it again if it's improved.

Edit: Obviously you like it. I guess I should ask if you had it when it first came out, and if so, has there been a significant change as it has had time to age?

My go to scotch has always been Macallan, but for Whisky it is Pappy Van Winkle's either Rye or Bourbon, a little pricey; my favorite rye at the lower price (but very high quality) is either Redemption or Rittenhouse both pre prohibition style. Great for you heathens like Saskhunter who mix !8 YEAR OLD WITH COKE! I think Rittenhouse can be had around $25 a fifth and is good straight (a little hot), smooths out on the rocks, and this style rye is the foundation of most roaring 20's cocktails, even can be mixed with coke! The Woodinville and Atticus Jones rye's in the back row are also excellent as is a German rye, Eiffel that scored 95 for what that's worth in Whisky world competition, a malted rye that is very smooth as a result.View attachment 169527

I've had Pappy once and it was amazing.

There's a really good bar here in SF that uses Rittenhouse. I used to live a few blocks away. Though I typically order their mai tai!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back