Which one.

Huntkook

I want to do a poll with opinions. No bashing someone's opinion unless they say 6.5 as an option. Which of these four calibers would you choose and why? Looking at what you feel is the best all-around. .270, 30-06, 7mm or 300 win mag. Say nothing about accubonds, mystery ranch metcalf or leupold. I know there has been similar threads comparing one against the other.

.270 the quintessential western cartridge. Flatter shooting with less recoil than 30-06. Plenty for pronghorn, deer and elk. No need to go magnum.
Recoil between the two is hardly noticeable. New bullets and powder for the old girl .06 make it shoot plenty flat. I have both. Load and shoot them both. Toss up at best. mtmuley

If you are taking ammo availability, cost, options then it’s the 30-06. It’s not the best all around, just what you have listed. I don’t prescribe the the one gun. Too many good choices and now better choices for specific animals. It’s like what the best truck? For what, driving, pulling, hauling, pavement, off pavement. Otherwise let’s all drive an F350

If I get a once in a lifetime bison tag (which will never happen) I will buy a 45-70 lever action and go old school.
I made a gun store visit last Saturday and they had one in an 1895 somebody had just traded on an A/R 🤦🏻‍♂️ that’d also make my list to chase a bison. Almost made my list for the safe anyways lol

Recoil between the two is hardly noticeable. New bullets and powder for the old girl .06 make it shoot plenty flat. I have both. Load and shoot them both. Toss up at best. mtmuley
I've only ever owned one .270, but I actually felt like there was something sharper about its recoil than my .30-06. Maybe it was just the rifle...

Mtmuley is right. I grew up with an inherited 270 from my dad shooting 130gr Core Lokt's because that's what dad did. I've killed more animals with that gun than I can count. However, I now own many guns, larger and smaller. My 30-06 shoots 150-180gr exceptionally well. I can load it with 150gr GameKings and be happy killing whitetails all day long. I can load 180gr Accubonds or Interbonds and kill elk, bear, moose, etc. Matter of fact, my favorite all around load is 165gr AccuBond and would be confident shooting anything with it.

Just gonna continue the 30-06 vote, can’t be beat for a one and done rifle, although I do have a soft spot for the 25-06!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back