Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

30-06 vs 308 Handloading

I ended up catching a 300 WSM on sale so naturally I bought it.. really excited to start shooting it anybody got any 300 wsm stories and tips?

I ended up catching a 300 WSM on sale so naturally I bought it.. really excited to start shooting it anybody got any 300 wsm stories and tips?
Bullet selection is key - in other words, match the bullet to the size game you're hunting. It doesn't do much good punching a .30 caliber hole in a deer with zero expansion. Seen that happen a few times. Obviously shot placement is still the number one killer. That being said, great & versatile round. The modern bullets we have are just awesome compared to what our grandpas were shooting.

I've always favored the .308 over .30-06, especially if you handload. Short action, efficient, and just inherently accurate. My .02...

Bullet selection is key - in other words, match the bullet to the size game you're hunting. It doesn't do much good punching a .30 caliber hole in a deer with zero expansion. Seen that happen a few times. Obviously shot placement is still the number one killer. That being said, great & versatile round. The modern bullets we have are just awesome compared to what our grandpas were shooting.
Definitely i bought a box of American whitetail hornady interlock its cheap and good practice and seems decent bullet ive killed multiple deer with that in 270 win... but wanting to use the barnes ttsx in the 300 wsm

Next year I am buying a more premium rifle and will be starting to get into reloading currently have a 6.5 Creed and a 270 win. I am looking into getting a 30-06 or 308 for handloaders which is a better option. All I can find is they are identical so it boils down too rifle weight with the 308s shorter action and the slightly more case capacity in 06 allowing heavier bullets. Would like opinions and reasons on either of these 2 proven calibers.

What really makes one a better option over the other is all in the buyer's head. I use a 30-06 for elk these days but years ago the rifle I carried in Alaska was a 308. I used 200 gr bullet's in the 308 and in my 30-06 I use 180gr bullet's. For everything other than giving me a warm fuzzy feeling in bear country in my 308 I use 165gr bullet's. never carried the 308 elk hunting!

I own and handload for multiple 30-06s, 308s, and one 270 Win. If I were to go with just one it would be the 30-06 with a 22” barrel in stainless.

No flies on either of the other two, but the 30-06 does have a little more velocity on 165gr and up. If you are recoil averse then one of the others may be better for you, and would be plenty adequate.

Edit: I just saw your post about purchase. 300 Wizzum is a great cartridge, but buy up ammo and/or brass since it can be somewhat scarce compared to some more mainline cartridges

I own and handload for multiple 30-06s, 308s, and one 270 Win. If I were to go with just one it would be the 30-06 with a 22” barrel in stainless.

No flies on either of the other two, but the 30-06 does have a little more velocity on 165gr and up. If you are recoil averse then one of the others may be better for you, and would be plenty adequate.

Edit: I just saw your post about purchase. 300 Wizzum is a great cartridge, but buy up ammo and/or brass since it can be somewhat scarce compared to some more mainline cartridges
I have noticed that already when trying to find 300wsm but next year im going to start my reloading journey, i am saving all my brass.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back