Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Which one.

I’m a big fan of the ‘06, but I also love the .270.

Depends on what is meant by “all-purpose,” and who is shooting it. I notice a pretty big difference in recoil between a 165/180 30-06 load and a 130/140 270 load. That may make a big difference for a new, young, smaller, or timid shooter.

Why stick to just one caliber though?

If you could only own three guns to hunt and shoot with in North America for the rest of your life, you could cover just about all species and all situations with a .22lr, a 30-06 and a 12 gauge shotgun. So my vote is the 30-06 for the all-purpose rifle caliber. You'll be undergunned for some and over-gunned for others, but with the right bullet and good shot placement you can go from coyote to brown bear. Or so I've read.

I'm probably not much help - I have both a .300 Win Mag and a .270 Win. I have taken deer, elk, and caribou with both. Lately, it is the .300 I grab for my big game hunting.

I love my .270 and it's really all I need for everything from Pronghorn to Elk, but the '06 is hard to beat when it comes to availability in the bullet weight department. Really any .30 caliber is hard to beat when it comes to that, actually.

I have both the 06 and 7mag in a number of rifles. They both have good choices in bullets and similar performance. I prefer the 7 because of the rifles I have. The only one I really don't like is the 270. That's because of poor performance I have witnessed in heavy tree cover. Most likely from the lighter bullet choices. I hate chasing cripples in the jungles.

I'll add that one option for best all around not mentioned is a .308. I actually just bought one last week and can't wait to start messing around with loads as low as 100 and as high as 200. I'm going to use it for coyote and also taking it moose hunting with me this fall.

Boy there is a number of right answer's to this. I think first consideration has to be reloader or not. Being a reloader make's ammo with different bullet's ready avaliable. As for cartridge shoot, anyone of a number and if you reload brings in a few more. I'm not sure what bullet weight's are avaliable in factory form and how easy to find for say even the 30-06. I think the best all around bullet for it is a 180gr but were I going somewhere looking for trouble in the form of a grizzly I'd prefer a 200gr bullet. Just a bit of confidence building, shot's are best close for bad bear I believe. The 7mm have several different cartridges that could fill in here. 7x57, 7mm-08 and 280 with good bullet's I could go with for everything. But already having a 30-06 I'd set it aside for dangerous game. One of my pet loads from years past as a 7x57 with 160gr Speer hot cores. It just killed things. If the 7mm was all you had, any more of them, I would hunt dangerous bears with one and 175gr bullet's. With dangerous game like grizzly I do not think anyone should concern themselves with a long shot and the need for trajectory. Reason being the possibility of a stray shot wounding an animal you might have to go into thick stuff to finish off. Get close and make a great shot!

Guess I should add, if I were to take my only rifle coyote hunting or maybe sage rt hunting, I'd use the same bullet wt I'd use for most everything else.

I’m a vote for the 7mm. Not for any technical reasons, I just like it. My Savage 116 in 7mm is my equivalent of Ol’ Betsy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kgentry
Back