Which knife?

KRasmussen

I am looking at getting a new skinning, gutting knife set/combo. What are the other hunttalkers using? I prefer a folding type with a locking blade, one that will easily fit in pants pocket. I am not looking to be Daniel Boone with the 16" Bowie knife strapped to the leg with the mullet. I just need a good all around knife for hunting that will hold up and more importantly hold an edge.

Camofire.com has a SOG Field Pup up for the next three hours for $26. SOG make quality knives. I bought one, just because.

Leatherman Charge. My dad and I dulled 3 knives just trying to gut a moose before I pulled out the leatherman. The next year when I shot a moose, I used the leatherman from start to finish.
The Charge has a gut hook, smooth and serrated blades, and a saw. Use the serrated blade for cutting through the stuff that quickly dulls a smooth blade - skin, cartilage, and separating bones. When you need to get a grip on something there are pliers.
I bought a belt clip to keep the tool hanging from the top of my pocket (tool on the inside) and I don't even notice it there.

Havalon.......I used Bucklite folders for years. I probably won't go back after trying the Havalon this year.

I like a standard boning knife for field. They sharpen easily and will hold an edge for a long time. I think I'll pick up a Havalon to leave in camp for cape prep, but doubt I'll use it for breaking down an animal. Seems like the blades are somewhat easy to break, no matter how careful you are, if you break one off while working on a critter in the dark... what happens if you can't find it? Seems like about half the animals I kill are butchered in the dark.

I prefer this one.

http://www.swissarmy.com/us/product.../Knives/Black-Fibrox-Pro/5-Boning-knife/40514

Havalon or Swingblade, have them both. Use the Havalon when the father and I are skinning for mounts. Use the Swingblade out in the field.

Havalon for me.
I have a couple Havalon Tracer-22 left I can give you a good deal on. Shoot me a PM if interested.

i carry a havalon and a swingblade...can't imagine ever using anything else. i broke the tip off my swingblade once and they sent a new one in the mail, no questions asked.

AFter seeing a havalon in action a couple of times, I'm thinking of picking one up. That said, I'm also a big fan of knives with S30V steel. The one I have is branded by Cabelas, but made by Buck and is a copy of their 110 locking folder. It was scary sharp and stayed that way through a lot of critters. I'll be sending it back to Buck this summer for a resharpening as I'm too cheap to buy diamond hones to sharpen it myself.

Schmaltz- PM coming...

I'm a big Gerber knife fan. I have several with zero complaints. I'm going to look up the one you guys have mentioned though, sounds like its a good one too.

Take a look at the lighted knife from Real Avid, great steel,lights on both sides of the blade and the blade will stand up tough against elk hide, did a couple of elk in the same day and never had to touch up the blade till after I was done.

Buck fan, have several, to include the Buck Zipper, never have used the 'zipper'. The one I carry in the pack holds a great edge. Like hornart, can get through an elk with one touch up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back