Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Which is the better glass?

WesNVA

Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42

or

Vortex Razor HD 12x50

Considering both are in the same price range.

Thanks.

I've looked through both in the last year as I'm thinking about new binos too. I prefer Zeiss glass. My dad likes his Vortex Razors which he uses for birdwatching. That said, he's had them warrantied for fogging up. I personally don't have good experience with Vortex optics in general.

Since it's your purchase, I'd go with which one looks best and feels the best to you.

That being said, the Vortex warranty would weigh heavily in my decision.

Since it's your purchase, I'd go with which one looks best and feels the best to you.

That being said, the Vortex warranty would weigh heavily in my decision.

I agree, however I have not been able to find the Zeiss Conquest anywhere to be able to look through them.

I've never owned "Euro Glass", and I think Vortex makes a good product. if you like the way the Vortex feel and you will have them up to your eyes because of that, you will be happy. I wouldn't worry about FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) on the Zeiss. I think the 2x more power and larger objective will be more important than the name on the body.

I can’t possibly imagine Vortex equaling Zeiss. I have not looked through either of the optics you’re asking about, AND I use a lot of Japanese glass, however, I’ve looked through European glass, and for what I’ve looked through, it’s always better. Leupold has offerings that are quite competitive. Top end($1k+) Sightron and NightForce have some offerings that are very close as well, but both are geared toward the tactical market.

The Conquest line is the budget line of Zeiss, so it’s possible that there are some Japanese binos that can hang in there with it. Japanese glass is as clear as Euro glass, the issue is primarily in the coatings, and being geared more toward hunting than other Japanese optics companies, they MAY compete better with Euros.

Take them both outside in the evening and look through them. Don’t just examine the “brightness”, but also compare how well you can actually resolve shapes in the shadows. Leupold, and pretty much all European companies, use lens coatings that really enhance contrast, and which render colors in a way that makes browns and grays pop. That is a SERIOUS advantage when hunting. It’s possible that Vortex has employed such coatings on some high end Japanese glass, but if they did, I’d be surprised to see them offering more power and larger objectives at the same price. The bets Japanese glass is only slightly cheaper than the Euro stuff, and Japanese labor is likely no cheaper than American labor. A Vortex assembled in Taiwan, the Philippines, or China is not an optic that I want, and they usually don’t send the best glass they have to those countries anyway. An optic using top Japanese glass, and made in Japan, does not typically sell for a significantly lower price than a scope using Euro glass and made in USA(Conquest and Meopro), or a similar grade Leupold which could use Japanese or Euro glass, and get assembled in the USA.

If you were comparing 10x50’s in both brands it would be a slam dunk, get the Zeiss. Because you standardized for price it becomes really hard to say. As a guy that uses 8X Japanese binos, I can’t give a good answer on the power vs quality battle. I can however say that if you use binos to find game and something more powerful to judge it, you gotta be looking over some really vast territory to need more than 10X. I’ve found myself wanting more than 8X a few times, but I’ve found myself wanted LESS than 8X a lot of times. For the majority of MY hunting, I think 12X just too much anyway.

I had both of those shipped to me for a demo in X8. The Zeiss had a little play in the adjustment wheel that I didn’t like, but I thought it transferred color better. I ended up getting the Vortex They just felt to be built better plus the warranty.

So I’ve been reading through other posts on binos and it sounds like for close to the same price I can get the Meopta Meostars. Are they significantly better? I am trying to go with the 12x50’s because I can’t afford a spotter and new binos right now so I’m trying to hit a middle ground between binos that I can handhold and mount on a tripod, while still getting the extra magnification. I currently have a pair of Nikon 10x42’s purchased on the late 1990’s and they’re falling apart on me. That being said anything is going to be better than what I have now but I don’t want to have buyers remorse either.

If there's anything that catches your attention in one over the other, get that one. I can't imagine being disappointed in either of those. In my limited experience with Meopta and Maven, I wouldn't be afraid of those either. BTW, I've had quite a few Vortex optics (spotter, binos, rifle scopes, rangefinders) and so far I've never used their warranty. Also, I think optics can be more personal than some people think.

Too close to call between those 2. I've had them in the field side by side on a tripod in big country. Personal preference.

I still lean towards used Swaro.

I have 10x42's & 50's (HD Alpens) & I would opt for the 10x42 Zeiss. The 42's are much more versitle.I need a rest for the 50's most of the time if it's long glassing anyway.
I switched to a Zeiss Conquest on riflescope 3 yrs ago and never a regret. Tempted to find some 10x42 Zeiss or Swaro's, a deal included....lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YakCountry
Back