Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Which is the better glass?

I've been slowly switching everything over to Zeiss the last couple years. My only complaint with the Conquest HD 10x42 binos is not getting them sooner.

The question about the glass is quite simple: Zeiss. But if the scope overall is better or not and if it suits your purpose that’s hard to say. There are only 3-4 companies in the world that make scope-type glass, and not many can do the fit and finish themselves either (cause it’s ruined if you make a small mistake)

Zeiss and there subsidiaries are in optical Glass No.1 in the world. That being said, chances are that even in some Vortex products are Zeiss glasses.

I personally don’t want Lifetime warranty, I want lifetime quality.

Love my zeiss conquest hd 10x42s. Got them on sale new for $700 a few years back. I have a vortex viper HD spotting scope and while the zeiss is more clear to my eye, I don't know enough about glass to know if a comparison between binos and a spotter is an appropriate comparison.

I'm reviving this thread because I do not have enough posts to start my own yet.

I went through the same information overload when selecting a scope for my 308, now it is happening with binos. A bit about me and why I am asking the same old question, which bino? I'm 53, have had a lazy eye since I was born, and now also wear glasses for reading and for a slight correction at distance. I have no problem using my glasses when shooting. I never really had a need for good binos because I live in Massachusetts, mostly hunt with a bow and my longest shot ever on an animal was twenty yards. Typical woods I hunt provides me with 75 yards visibility at best.

Well, that will be changing soon. I am close to retiring, or semi retiring. My family loves visiting Montana; so much that we purchased a small townhouse in Livingston, MT about a month ago. We just returned yesterday evening after two weeks out there. We did a lot of hiking and camping, what a great time. My youngest daughter just landed a job in Livingston as an accountant, although it will be several months before she can get there (finishing up MBA, and getting married). My wife and I are planning to be moved in less than a year. In the meantime, my oldest daughter will be living in our new home for now. So we have everything set to finally get out of this lunatic state for good! I apologize for the long background, but I am setting you guys up for a pile of questions regarding hunting out west. This post is just one of many things going through my brain.

Okay, back to the subject of binos. It seems that the $1000 range buys you some really good glass. Zeiss Conquest HD is on the top of my list based on all the threads I have poured through. Swarovski seems to be the gold standard but I suspect there is quite a premium for being in the top spot. Then there were some names that were not so familiar to me like Meopta. I am also heavily considering Leupold because of its strong American heritage and I mounted a VX3i on my 308 (which was purchased for eventually hunting out west). The VX3i does not disappoint. Vortex is out because manufacturing/assembly appears to be taking place in China. I will not even begin to list the issues I have with that one.

So I have a few questions for everyone. First, of the choices worth considering, are the differences minute, or does a Zeiss just blow away a Leupold? Is jumping to a $1500-$2000 bino make a huge difference, or is it a point of diminishing returns (I know I need to test them out but I think it is hard to tell by looking through them at a wall 200 feet away in a store)? And finally, given my eyes, are going high end just a waste? Basically, I have one eye that works quite well, the other provides for peripheral vision and that's about it. I have no depth perception. I wonder if there are any other lazy eye guys out there that could chime in. Basically, I have one eye that works quite well, the other provides for peripheral vision and that's about it. I have no depth perception.

Thank you all for any feedback you can provide. I think this gives me 10 posts finally! I have not been chiming much since being a member because almost everything I need is found in a search here. Great forum.

Pete

I just got a look through the new Meopta B1 Plus Meostars I just got a small shipment of. The brightness and edge to edge clarity is nothing short of spectacular. The new armor gives them a slimmer feel too.
peterk1234 and Mako are the lucky people they will get shipped to as they had been asking about them and low and behold 2 pair showed up yesterday. I hope they chime in on their first impressions next week as they have been doing a lot of research on binos recently.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back