Which Is The Best Tasting Critter?

shrapnel

There is always the favorite or least favorite game animal and everyone has an opinion. The 2 best you can get in the fall is without a doubt, elk tenderloins and blue grouse breasts and thighs.

It is always entertaining to hear what someone else likes best, but there is nothing to beat blue grouse and elk. Feel free to add to this short list, just know in advance that any disagreement is wrong...

75B9017C-473A-4684-87E0-652131668E96.jpeg3B1617E1-7A99-406B-BA20-DA28454C084B.jpeg

I like bear better than deer or elk. But if i had the option id eat lion more than anything, its just hard to acquire. But all animals considered, at land or sea, i dont think theres a more edible creature out there than the yellow eyed rockfish.

I like bear better than deer or elk. But if i had the option id eat lion more than anything, its just hard to acquire. But all animals considered, at land or sea, i dont think theres a more edible creature out there than the yellow eyed rockfish.

Wow, I have to agree with you. A good fall bear is hard to beat. I even tried eating a summer grizzly I shot when I was a kid, but the soup would bend a spoon.

Mountain lion is better than most ungulates as well, it’s just the thought of eating a cat that makes it questionable. Rock fish is also better than the other white meat, halibut.

Good line up of tasty critters...

I like it all, not picky, I’d probably lean towards elk though because of the effort that usually goes into the hunt, something about it makes it taste better! My wife, daughter, and mom would all say antelope hands down though.

For me, whitetail, mule deer, elk, bear, rabbit, squirrels, moose, rainbow trout, mahi mahi are all the best tasting. Why? Well because those are the animals I've harvested or helped a friend harvest, all the time, money, blood and sweat that goes into harvesting them, make the meat from those game animals all the best tasting! Plus, the bonus is that you have the memories made.

I tend to like most if not all wild game. Usually if I don’t like it, it is due to a cooking error on my part. One of my all time favorites was some fresh yellowfin sashimi....prepared right on the boat on our way in. Like others have said, I like how a meal can bring you right back to those memories made afield.

You guys are going to laugh at me. Venison ribs. Barbecued and smoked. I throw it in the pressure cooker for a few minutes first to tenderize and melt off some of the fat. Then use my own rub and the 3-2-1 smoker method. My wife says they are better than beef and pork ribs.

Moose, Elk, Properly cared for Antelope, Ruffed Grouse, Turkey, Whitetail, Bear.
As far as fish go... Just as long as its not store bought its delicious. Having grown up eating fish several times a week from the local waters. I don't think I had commercial fish until after I had left home as long as I you don't count school fish sticks.

Back