Caribou Gear Tarp

Where is your outdoor paradise?

Oh man is that ever gorgeous! Gives me goose bumps!! Nic Picture Ironbuck

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-04-2004 08:43: Message edited by: pawclaws ]</font>

Thanks, Elkhunter...

I really need to re-shoot some of the earlier photos taken around Silverton, Colorado due to image quality. Those were with my first digital camera (a Polaroid). I ended up giving that one to one of the kids in the family to get him started in photography. Just didn't have enough "oomph" for what I wanted.

Nice photo you posted, Iron Buck,

Lots of antelope over on that side in the plains areas. I've always wanted to explore the area around La Veta Pass and to the north of the Highway 160 above Ft. Garland (Mt. Blanca).

-RW-

RW, when we went through Silverton, I was mighty impressed. That whole area seems great. I would not hesitate to reside in Silverton. Another place I would not mind is just outside of Cooke City.

Only problem with Silverton is being snowbound quite a bit of the winter. Most of the people you see up there close shop for the winter and reside in Durango until the tourist season begins in late spring. If you ever go back with time to spare and a 4WD, head north up Main Street, Silverton and on up the trail to some of the old mining ghost towns. One that has been preserved is Animas Forks. Still has a lot of the old buildings standing. Whole area is a trail-rider's paradise. Huge herds of elk winter in the meadows south between Silverton and Durango in the vicinity of Purgatory Ski Area. I was able to show my 90 year old aunt her first elk when she came out on a visit. She lived on to reach 98, but never stopped talking about that trip!
smile.gif

-RW-

Gotta love those old mountain towns that never got real big. Those are my kind of towns. The drive from Durango to Silverton wasn't too bad but from Silverton to Ouray you can have. First and only time on thea road was when I went from a small truck to my Dodge 3/4 ton and it scared the crap out of me driving on that road. When we got to Ouray, I needed a drink real bad.
wink.gif

I think a little North and West of here, just to put me more in the mountains than I already am...
But this is a pretty good area...
Employment really sucks around here though if you don't come in with talents already perfected...
biggrin.gif

Elkhunter,

I guess taking you for a Jeep tour of Black Bear Pass would be over the edge then? (pun intended...read on) North of Silverton, on the "Million Dollar" highway near Red Mtn. Pass, there is a turn-off west of the highway (if you know where to look). It goes across a high mountain prairie with beautiful scenery and wildlife all around for a way. Then you come to a 3000' precipice that overlooks Telluride, CO. There is a series of switcherbacks in the road headed down. Some so tight that you have to make a three-pointer in a Jeep! This road is only one vehicle wide, so it is one way...DOWN! On the way, there's the ruins of an old gold processing plant and Smuggler's Basin Power Plant which was built in the early 1900's. It gets it's power from the water force of Bridal Creek as it drops over the 3000' ledge. This was the first AC power plant in the USA, designed by Nicola Tesla, and still produces power.

Funny thing...I've a terror of heights, but the mountain roads don't bother me that much. Guess it's because I grew up here and got used to it.

-RW-

Those type of roads are for horses.
wink.gif
I hate friggin hieghts. When we were on our way to Ouray, they were towing up what was left of a truck, it was the camper shell. That was rather comforting.
eek.gif
I love seeing new country, but I have my limits to how i access it.
wink.gif

Mine woild have to be the Sellway Bitterroot Wilderness Area in Eastern Idaho. I hunted it once 25 years ago, and it was the prettiest place I have ever seen. Last month My 102 year old Grandmother passed away, and after the funeral, I told my kids that when I die, I want to be creamated, and spread out over the Sellway. My son told me that he was going to save some of the ashes and load them into a 30.06 shell and take me hunting one more time! Is that a good son or what?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

John, that sounds cool. I would love to be loaded up and given 1 more chance at a bear. I might just put that in my will, hell my family thinks I'm nuts for living here anyway.

There are a few good places in Montana. I saw some "paradise" when I was hunting in Absaroka-Beartooth wilderness. Not the greatest pic, but here is some of the scenery.
Goat_peak_1.sized.jpg

If i had to pick a place i would both live and hunt it would be here.. reason why? its great scenery, warm, and year round hog hunting at its finest. Lots of blacktail deer for fall hunt, turkeys, Tules elk, varmits.... California girls too!! this is an area i hog hunted near Paso Robles CA this spring and i fell in love with the place.
charlies%20land.jpg

ca%20ranch.jpg

pighill2.jpg

You do know that the area around Paso Robles will be 115 degrees and everything will be brown by the end of June? We used to stop hunting by 9 AM, head into our trailers and turn on the AC, fans and the blenders until almost sundown.

As far as tule elk go, unless you have $15,000 or more, you'll be waiting a loooong time for a tag. I've been hunting here for 35 years and still haven't gotten drawn.

This place was pretty cool.
Kwajalein, Marshall Islands
DSC00236.sized.jpg

Anyone wants to see other pics I have some here
Mojave's Kwajalein Gallery

That place just rocked. I practically never wore anything but a swimsuit....and I was there in November.

Lanai, Hawaii!!

Axis deer, Rio's, Erckels, Tuna, Dolphin, Marlin, Hula, Wahenee's...... OH Man, There Just Ain't like no place on earth to compare!!!!!
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-05-2004 18:03: Message edited by: Gunner46 ]</font>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Calif. Hunter:
You do know that the area around Paso Robles will be 115 degrees and everything will be brown by the end of June? We used to stop hunting by 9 AM, head into our trailers and turn on the AC, fans and the blenders until almost sundown.

As far as tule elk go, unless you have $15,000 or more, you'll be waiting a loooong time for a tag. I've been hunting here for 35 years and still haven't gotten drawn.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep, still a great place to spend the winter, fall and spring still. I can always come home to wisconsin if i need a dose of cold weather.

Wow, Mojave...that's awesome! I had a grade school friend who's dad was in the military. They got transferred to Kwajalein back in 1968 and I lost track of them. When I saw that place-name it triggered memories of childhood mischief!
biggrin.gif

-RW-

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back