Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Where is your outdoor paradise?

T Bone

Lets say you're given the choice to live ANYWHERE and have a job that gets you enough $ to satisfy the needs and most wants of you and yours.

Where would it be and why?

My vote would be Salmon-Challis area of Idaho.

The Missoula MT area would be a close 2nd. (HUGE bull elk for the taking
wink.gif
)

I almost would say southwestern Alaska, but having never been there I can't say for sure.

I live in Northern Nevada. I like it here, can't complain. Mountains and wide open spaces. Mulies, antelope, sheep. Great upland birds, predator calling. Good trout fishery, a short drive and I'm into great salmon and steelhead. But my #1 passion is archery elk in the rut. Nevada has big bulls mind you, but carefully managed so that no OTC tags are available.

T Bone

I'm not really sure as I've not yet been enough places to find THE PLACE. But, I'm thinking somewhere in MT would be nice as there's plenty of elk and whitetails to hunt, my two favorites. AK would be nice to help cut down on $$$ for certain species. Heck, I just hope I get to sample a few more places so I can have a better idea.
confused.gif

I would probably go for somewhere in New Mexico or SE Arizona. The weather is not as severe as Montana or Wyoming, but there is good hunting for elk, deer, javelina, varmints and birds. As I get older, and based upon my parents' search and criteria, I realize that good helathcare availability is a very importnat factor. That is one thing that I liked about the Show Low-Springerville area of Arizona - a real good regional medical center.

Another prime consideration is the state tax structure. I would think that Nevada, with all the income from gambling taxes, would be good in that regard. I'm not sure how New Mexico is in this regard. California, of course, stinks - high state income tax, high property taxes, high sales taxes, etc.

I don't know enough about the areas I think I would like to go. But I am thinking Idaho. When I drove truck I drove thru the west a little, and I think Idaho would be pretty neat. All depends on the deer and elk herds. I don't hunt no dang ducks.

Yukon Hunter,

Are stone,dall sheep, moose tags available over the counter to residents, or are they a controlled hunt?

T-Bone-
All available over the counter at a VERY reasonable price- e.g., Moose is $5.00, 'bou is $5.00, Sheep (Dall, Stone or Fanin) is $10.00, and Grizz is $25.00 (all resident costs). The only permit- only species we currently have is Bison. While we have fairly healthy deer and Elk populations, they aren't here in huntable numbers yet.

Its not really in a state or a city yet, it is my paradise. I have a log cbin like house, a buncha property butted up against national forest land ( so I have deer and elk to hunt). I think I want it in either Montana or Wyoming maybe Colorado. Oh yeah and you can't forget about my dog. It will be a pure bred black lab, just like the one I have now.
Quick Draw

Yukon Hunter,

You're killing me. Care to adopt me? (I come with a wife and 3 kids)

You are wise and(or) fortunate to live in such a place.

As 1 Pointer said, I think it would be great to sample more places. Live 3-5 years in NWT or Alaska, Alberta,etc, etc.

I am pretty happy right where I am at. Beautiful mountains and plenty of game. There is still a lot of country here that I want to explore. I bet there are a lot of place as good or beeter than here that I could call Paradise, just haven't found them yet.

Yukon- When you getting your guide/outfitters license??? I'd be willing to do some cheap hunts so you could have some trophy pics for you brochures!
wink.gif

BTW, does B&C recognize Fannins and Stones as the same species?

Bozeman would be a good start, and then Missoula, maybe.

Idaho is a horrible place, and nobody should want to live here. The wolves ate all the Elk, the dams killed all the Salmon, and Blue Tongue killed all the deer.

(Hey T-Bone, What about McCall? Great Lake, good Elk, good rivers for floating (Payette and Salmon), and great fly-fishing back toward Yellow Pine. Good restruants, even a movie theater..
shhh.gif
)

Gunner,

McCall would be a great choice, but the property prices are too high to be realistic. Cambridge/Council would be nice and small townish.

You're right about Idaho. The wolves have eaten all the mature bulls. All thats left are spindly rags and spikes.

I think the cats ate the sheep. The teenager from Poky killed the last good ram in the state, with a frontloader no less.

All the big mulies were run out by the mangey whitetail.

Its just a matter of 1-2 years before the metalheads and salmon die off.

Still, if given the job and pay that I have here, I'd move back
smile.gif

Coeur d'Alene /Hayden area is nice too.

As if it wasn't obvious...

MainAKBig.jpg

(Alaska really is big!)

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12-26-2003 22:35: Message edited by: Ovis ]</font>

Having spent a few years living on a 7 sq mile island in the Great Berrier Reef and before that on the island of Maui I am now looking for my true mountain paradise and looking at somewhere in Idaho. Will choose just where next year when I get to come out for a month to look around the area. Will be looking for something like QD mentioned earlier backing or surrounding National Forest so I can dissappear from the Mrs.when sent outside for chores
wink.gif
Have been interested in the Pend Orielle area but not to sure of the mule deer hunting for the area.Just as long as I get out of here "Middle East"
mad.gif
and back into the mountains
biggrin.gif

Happy trails

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back