Caribou Gear Tarp

Where does all the rifle BS come from?

Math don't kill stufff. mtmuley

You obviously didn't take some of the classes I did...it was touch and go several times.

I feel like (and kind of hope) you're being deliberately obtuse, but it goes without saying that shooting, and rifles, and bullets, and loads, and ballistics, and accuracy, and everything that goes into making shots is not, in fact voodoo magic. It actually is the physical result of math.

Meh, weak argument. Not legal and besides we all know of many deer head shot with .22s and they dont wonder off, they drop dead.

Ok then, if accuracy was the only aspect that matters, then we'd all hunt with the smallest legal caliber. Point is, yes, you have to make the right hit, but you also have to do it with enough energy to deliver the desired results in a responsible time frame. As for head shooting deer with anything and having them drop dead, I have a collection of pictures of deer with noses, and bottom jaws blown off by the "clean kill or clean miss" crowd. A couple of them standing in water dying of thirst...so no they don't always drop dead.

Rockin
What’s your bullet of choice for big game? Also do you prefer a high shoulder shot or behind the shoulder?

The rifle I carry in the mountains is a .300 win mag, and currently I'm shooting a 200 gr accubond from it, and I prefer to shoot behind the shoulder. The lungs just seem a more reasonable and efficient target than the brachial plexus, and normally contributes to less waste it seems to me.

Speed is a factor. Kinetic energy is 1/2 mass X velocity squared, which means velocity plays a big part, but if the mass is too small, it becomes a limiting factor as well.

And to answer your question, I'd rather be hit by a semi rolling at 1/4 mph than your car at 40 mph...

Lets put that equation in perspective for folks who may not be that into math. If you have two bullets traveling at the same speed and one bullet is twice the weight, the heavier bullet will hit with twice the kinetic energy. If you have two bullets the same weight but one is traveling at twice the speed, the faster bullet will hit with FOUR times the kinetic energy.

Lets put that equation in perspective for folks who may not be that into math. If you have two bullets traveling at the same speed and one bullet is twice the weight, the heavier bullet will hit with twice the kinetic energy. If you have two bullets the same weight but one is traveling at twice the speed, the faster bullet will hit with FOUR times the kinetic energy.

Real life example of what Greyman is talking about... these are approximates, using different powders, don't get your panties in a twist.

Generally speaking a super hot cartridge like the 6.5-300 weatheryby is going to have more energy than a heavier, slower load in a larger caliber, eg. the 7mm rem mag.

The key factor you have to look at in ballistics is that proportionally we are varying the bullet weight far more than velocity, so even though velocity is squared, often, increasing bullet weight in a caliber increases energy. Even if doing so decreases velocity slightly.

Last edited:
I love the internet. When I first used it, I learned the cartridge and bullet combo I'd killed a dozen elk with was inadequate. So glad I didn't have that on my mind. mtmuley

Reactions: Guy
I love the internet. When I first used it, I learned the cartridge and bullet combo I'd killed a dozen elk with was inadequate. So glad I didn't have that on my mind. mtmuley

This was the prehistoric way of spouting shit on the internet.

Another demonstration would be that the man bun (6.5 c) shooting a 140 grain bullet will stay above 1000 ft/lbs 100 yards further than a .308 shooting a 175 grain.

There is no question that shot placement, bullet construction/performance/mass, and a bunch of other factors play into the lethality equation, but speed plays a huge role as well.

Then you could get into a whole other discussion about how bullet construction and mass contribute to speed...

I thought you were a big speed guy? Long barrels, every last fps, etc?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back