2017 Elk Hunt - Lessons Learned from a 1st Timer

Great content! Thanks for sharing your experience... I most valued your adapt based actions.

Their nose is the death of my hunts most of the time and often I am in too much a hurry to get to the next spot that they catch onto me way before I catch onto them... That has been my biggest challenge. moving too often. There is a good line between adapting, as in your case, and the constant movement in my case... heh!

Again, great activity, good choices and quality adapting to the setting, from my less than stellar elk hunting skills. :) Nice pics as well! Solo, look into the InReach sat devices. A lot to be said for the comfort they provide.

You learned in one season what took me about 5 years! good on ya. The one thing that took awhile for me was being able to give up on a spot if it's not panning out. It's easy to hit a spot you're comfortable with, its way harder to pull the plug and go to a new place especially with only a few days to hunt.

The thing that really stands out about your story is that there were lots of opportunities for you idea and your hunt to become derailed. None of it seemed to phase you, or slow you down. In my experience, persistence goes a long way in hunting. I think you've got what it takes.

Congrats on an awesome trip. Very enjoyable read. Hats off to you, for doing a solo hunt. I really don't if I could have done a solo on my first trip out west. I'm from MS also, and man I can't wait to get out there. We just found out my wife is pregnant, so 2018 isn't in the cards, but I'm already looking forward to 2019.

Congrats on an awesome trip. Very enjoyable read. Hats off to you, for doing a solo hunt. I really don't if I could have done a solo on my first trip out west. I'm from MS also, and man I can't wait to get out there. We just found out my wife is pregnant, so 2018 isn't in the cards, but I'm already looking forward to 2019.

Congrats on the pregnancy! It may seem inconvenient this year but 6-7 years from now when you catch them dressing up in your camo and stalking imaginary critters throughout the house makes it all worth it.

Thanks, and congrats on the little one... PM me if your interested in discussing strategies for your 2019 hunt as I'm in the Jackson area.

Thanks for the kind words. I'll definitely be posting next years hunt as well.

I literally could not have done it without your help. Thanks for all you do, and I really appreciate you and your team for producing these materials, amazing stuff.

I don't contribute much to this site since 2018 will be my second year elk hunting. I did the same thing you did in 2017 with my own elk hunt, and I currently live in Texas. With out Fresh Tracks, Meat Eater, OnX, and Gohunt, I would have given up by now trying to plan any trip out west hunting. Reading your story brings back those memories of "is this going to work" and "That doesn't look too steep" and all those other things a person worries about, that turns out weren't near as critical as what you see once you get up there.

Great write up.

Great write-up! Great attitude! Great results for a first-timer! Your experiences will only get better. Keep after it!

Wow, you did a lot of things right on your first try and put in a great effort. That sort of thing pays off. I'm a Mississippian too. I've lived in West TN for more than 25 years and love it here, but when people ask where I'm from, I always say MS. Been out west after elk a few times and had some success. I'd be happy to discuss things I've learned any time. Good luck and stay with it.
HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back