MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

When will wood prices go back down?

I have a bunch of pine that needs to be thinned badly but the mills are not even buying it and if they are the loggers aren't getting paid enough to pay me anything worth letting them cut them. Messed up.
Yah my buddy just got a quote to log his 80, the price was hardly worth it, totally messed up

Yah my buddy just got a quote to log his 80, the price was hardly worth it, totally messed up
I am tempted to buy a small woodmizer or harbor freight sawmill and saw up a bunch of 2x4 and other lumber. There is enough people looking for stuff to build things like chicken coops and other projects that do not require kiln dried wood that a guy can make use of his trees and at least make something out of your trees. I myself want to put a second level in 1/3 of my equipment shed and do not need top notch lumber and sure as hell don't need to spend what the stores are getting for it.

I am tempted to buy a small woodmizer or harbor freight sawmill and saw up a bunch of 2x4 and other lumber. There is enough people looking for stuff to build things like chicken coops and other projects that do not require kiln dried wood that a guy can make use of his trees and at least make something out of your trees. I myself want to put a second level in 1/3 of my equipment shed and do not need top notch lumber and sure as hell don't need to spend what the stores are getting for it.
I've been thinking about this, too.

Building a raised bed for my wife. Cedar is expensive

Attachments

• 9F91C722-12DC-439D-A9FC-617C0FC3217A.jpeg
    9F91C722-12DC-439D-A9FC-617C0FC3217A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
Got my order in @ local mill, before they stopped taking new orders.

I have not seen a kiln dried stud in a store in 30 years. Lucky if you can find a dry one,let alone be straight enough,for blocking....lol

It's not just lumber prices going nuts. We've seen copper and pex double in price this year. There's even a shortage of pookie (duct sealant) as well.

It's not looking like construction is slowing down anytime soon though. I'm on the HVAC and plumbing side and we're swamped with work.

An old saying in the commodity market is that the cure for high prices is high prices. Don't see why this one would be any different but hard to say when.

A few of the recent comments though are interesting though that the mills are not interested in it. Can't say I know much about that.

I own a construction business and dont think prices will ever drop much once the public is used to higher prices even when cost go down the price will stay where it is or a slight drop

Around here, I think a guy could sell all he was willing to make.

When corporations suck in the mass remote/teleworking workforce Covid has presented, wages will dump along with housing, small town economies turned on their ass...

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BullelkSD
Back