When to use a bipod

peterk1234

Watching some Freshtrack vids this morning. Sometimes there is a bipod on the gun, other times not. What is the determing factor?

Randy mostly quit using them after a few seasons of the show. I think he mentioned on a podcast episode that using his pack as a rest worked well enough.

I gave up on my little Harris bipod for anything other than at the bench. I do have one that is quick on/off that makes it into my pack or stays on the rifle when it could be useful.

Use mine for antelope where shots tend to be longer and less walking. Elk, deer it comes off and I can use my pack

Slinging and carrying is way less comfy with the bipod on

I really enjoy mine. I don't have strafe hands so it's nice to have extra support.

I find it easier to use my pack or my gloves/mittens rolled up on a support like a fence post or tree.

I often have one, but almost never have it mounted until needed. I am content to shoot out to @ 400 on game with the pack as a front rest and no rear bag. It’s usually pretty obvious if it’s going to come in handy on a final stalk in the types of places I hunt.

Beyond roughly 400ish I prefer to have it and a rear bag both. If the shot is that far I almost always have enough time and cover to snap it on and get set up rock solid. For high angle shots a bipod is a HUGE difference maker.

Just how I do things.

For years I used either my pack or tripod. This year I tried a 13-27inch bipod. Let’s me get seated and use my pack for rear support. As stable as prone but fits in way more situations. Less messing around than off the tripod switching heads and such.

I don’t take tons of long shots, but I like to be able to if the wind is reasonable.

Does anyone have a brand they would recommend for a youth? I took my boy elk/pronghorn hunting this past week and he thought a bipod would have really helped. It made matters worse that his scope got knocked out of alignment the first day.

Harris are reliable and simple to use.

We used to use them for antelope hunting. However, I found that it hindered my shooting more often than it helped. In most scenarios grass, sagebrush etc were nearly always too tall for me to get a clear shot off a bipod even from a sitting position. I prefer the flexibility of using shooting sticks, backpack or other available rest rather than carry the weight of the bipod around.

As with most things, it is highly dependent on personal preference of the individual.

I find it a lot easier to stay concealed when belly crawling without a pack. It would also be difficult to take off without revealing yourself. The bipod also keeps the muzzle out of the dirt.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back