Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

What's your favorite rifle?

oldman357

I'm not talking for Elk or Deer or Lopes what is your favorite rifle period. For me it's easy my Uncle gave me a Savage 99 in 300 savage with a lyman peep on it. it's my favorite bar none.

It's either my pre-WWI Haenel 1888 Commission Rifle, or the Mauser 98 35 Whelen. both were gifts from my father. I had a lot of work done to the Mauser, including a new barrel. I need to get the Gerard scope I've got sitting around but that will require machining the claw mounts and probably changing the charging mechanism to eliminate the packet loading.

Took this during the last season sitting in a blind waiting on some does.

Attachments

• favorites.jpg
    favorites.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 1,264
This Remington 700 30.06 with a McMillan Mountain Rifle stock is my all time favorite rifle. It used to be my dad's. When he gave it to me it was just a plain old standard BDL. I added the stock and converted to an ADL, a Timney Trigger, Warn rings and mounts, as well as a Leupold with custom Turrets. It has accounted for countless deer, antelope, several bears, coyotes, badgers, and a nice bull elk. It really treats me right.
AntelopeonlyTroy06-2.jpg

I love the Savage 99, mine is not as cool as yours. I have a 99E and I am currently working on a new walnut stock for it, should have it done in a few months (a little here and there). I think this rifle has a lot of character!

Mine is a Ruger M77 in 300 Win Mag. Wood stock, blued with trigger job. Many 'bang flops' with this gun. I have many more but this one is usually the first I reach for. Found it in a used gun rack about 10 years ago for $300. It will soon be wearing a Swarovski Z3 over the current VXII.

Mine is a Ruger M77 as well. Stainless / synthetic .338 win mag paddle stock. VXII (nice taste in scopes)

My Marlin .444 that my wife gave me for our 10th anniversary is my favorite. Just something about those lever action guns that I love!

My Mosing Nagant M44 carbine. Shot my first deer with it. (I've only shot two in my whole life, so whatever that's worth...) I have other milsurps (and want more) like a Yugo 24/47 (it comes close to being my favorite), a MN 91/30, 7.7 Arisaka, but the M44 is the most fun.

It shoots a flame out the muzzle you can see on a mildly cloudy day. Kicks like a mule. Is by far my LEAST accurate rifle, but I love it. When ammo runs out I have a folding bayonet. When that breaks (or is being used to cooked hot dogs over a fire), I can turn it over and use it like a club.

Emrah

Mines a Remington 721 in .270 win. Got it for Christmas from my parents when I was 15and its been in my hands every hunting season since. A bedded walnut stock and some tweeking on the trigger are the only improvements. Serial # says it was made in 1954 and it still shoots better than I can.

Great responses! can you tell i'm stuck in meetings all day, this has been fun to check and read. Love the stories.

my favorite shotty is a 25$ pawn shop special 870 express, it's ugly but it works.

Although I've only had it about 5 years my Browning Gold Medallion 30-06 has quickly become my favorite. Already accounted for 1 moose, several bear and a ton on deer.

I've got a Ruger 77 SS with boat paddle stock that I got the first year they came out, probably 90 or 91 I think. It's a 300 win mag that just seems to always make me look a better shot than I really am. It just always performs wonderfully for me.

sporterized m96 in 6.5x55. My older son used it to kill his first deer. It's what almost always comes out of the safe at least when I'm thinking about hunting. Next favorite would be the m70 fwt my lovely wife gave me for valentines day a couple of years ago, it's chambered in 7x57 with a vxII on top. It's never let me down

My wife bought me a Mossberg Trek and i put a cheap scope on it. The whole rig cost about 340.00 bucks so i thought it wouldnt be very accurate at all but fun to plink with. Turns out i was wrong, i can consistantly shoot inch to inch and a half groups at a hundred yards. It had quickly become my favorite and took my forkie with it this year. I will probably do most of my hunting with it from now on.

Doctor Death. My late 90's model 70 standard wiegh blued with factory wood in 270 winchester. It is looking like it has been used on many of escapades.It's primary purpose is to write perscription to the promise land. Only had to write 5 this year.
Jay

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back