Caribou Gear

What's your favorite rifle?

I have spent enough money on rifles to buy a NICE house in my quest for that "perfect" hunting rifle - 7mm mag, 30.06, 325 WSM, 270 WSM, 7mm WSM, 338 WSM (wildcat), 338 win mag (4),280 AI, 300 win mag, 7mm/300 win mag (wildcat), in ABolt, model 70, model 700, Sako, Tikka, Kimber, and I am poised to drop the hammer on another ABolt 300 win mag, eat crow and backtrack - I think that will be the most versatile and pleasing of the bunch - "IF" my budget allowed (it surely would have had I been more wise in my spending) I'd own and cherish (I'm sure) a Forbes Custom in 300 win mag or 7mm mag - I surely do LOVE to fondle and handle my old 32 special model 94 though .......

Its hard for me to pick a favorite. Would it be my first big game rifle, a Remington Model 700 in 30-06? Im not sure how I managed to kill my first and second bucks with it, shes a kicker! My wife also managed to take her first deer and antelope with it, but she cringes at the thought of shooting it again. Maybe it would be the pre-64 Model 70 Winchester .257 Roberts that I picked up at a Fairbanks gunshow back in 2000 for $300. An action as slick as glass and the most wonderful trigger i've ever felt. The man I bought it from had a very nice looking pre-64 .264 Win Mag for the same price, but on a PFC's pay I could only pick one. I went with the .257 'cause grampa had one, and dad shot his first buck with it. Perhaps it should be my dad's early 90's Model 70 .338, since Im hard pressed to remember a year when it didnt help him bring home an elk. The last elk it claimed for him was his biggest, and one known very well by me. I also drew blood with it at 14, when I took a cow moose, and since I bought it from him, several cows, a nice buck and a mountain goat. I cant leave out my old Browning A-Bolt either. I decided I needed a .338 of my own, so I bought a new one with a BOSS. I killed lots of deer with that rifle, a few elk, and a good bit of my hearing too. I put alot of hard wear on her, and missed a nice bull on my last hunt with her. She lives at my dads now, a friend offered to buy her, but I counter-offered to loan-er instead. She will find her way back home to my safe.

lena002.jpg

This is exactly like the rifle i just purchased at a buy back, mauser 30-06 Belgian made commercial, grabbed some Remington cor-loks form sportsmans and it shot .77 of an inch 3 hsot group 100 yards with an awful scope on it. I was floored! it's my new second favorite rifle.

Remington Model 700 BDL Custom Deluxe in 7mm Rem Mag, pretty much out of the box factory form (other than it had a scope added to it). Given to me by my wife as as a wedding gift 20+ years ago and was my only gun in our early days. It's hands down my favorite and usually the only gun I use unless I'm hunting in AK, then it's big brother in 375 H&H get's to go with me!

I'm an odd duck, as I have no desire to own more than one rifle. In college I scraped up enough money to buy a Tikka T3 in .270 WSM. Coupled with a Leupold VXIII 2.5-8x scope and Barnes handloads it has been an awesome gun for me. At 100 yards my three shot groups are touching. I've taken whitetail, moose, wolf, and many other critters with it in Minnesota, and a mulie in Montana. Someday it will get me an elk and antelope. I love that gun and have no plans to ever buy another. There are no animals in North America I would be afraid to hunt with it.

Back