Caribou Gear

What's your favorite rifle?

Smith and Wesson Model 1500 barrelled action in .270 win. with custom stock I made in while in high school. Fits me like a glove, and shoots inside MOA with several different loads. It has shot everything from prairie dogs and coyotes to deer and elk. This rifle is full of great memories.

Smith and Wesson Model 1500 barrelled action in .270 win. with custom stock I made in while in high school. Fits me like a glove, and shoots inside MOA with several different loads. It has shot everything from prairie dogs and coyotes to deer and elk. This rifle is full of great memories.

Had the same in 30-06...nice rifles.

The best shooter I've ever had my hands on is my son's M96 6.5x55 that I sporterized and gave to him. When he stashes it at my house during hunting season my guns stay in the safe and his gets to go play in the woods with me.

I've had a few rifles and all but one has put meat on the table, and I liked them all for the reasons I bought them. Of the ones I have in my safe now I'd say my Ruger #1 .38-55 is my favorite. Nice looking, fun to shoot, fun to carry, big hole in the barrel, big bullets, big holes in deer (though not the meat grinder my .257 was). Gotta get a scope on it 'cause my eyes ain't what they used to be and gotta get an elk with it.

Mine is a Winchester Model 64, peep sights and just a all around good gun in blacktail country where I grew up. It belonged to My Dad's uncle and my two brother's and I toted it around in the woods until we each bought our own rifle's. It is just a cool thing to have hunted with a gun that has family history and some great campfire stories to go along with it. If the gun could only tell us what really happened.:D

I had a rifle built by Kevin Weaver (.300 Win Mag), sorry no pictures yet

Its a Remington action that has been benchrest trued
26" Lilja barrel with 1/11 twist
Alaskan Ti stock bedded and free floated
Trigger set at 3 lbs
Topped with a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20X40

http://www.weaverrifles.com/

my favorite is my ruger 10\22 my father gave me when i was 12 years old.
i still have it,i still shoot it,and i will allways like it,because it has served me well when i was younger and my hunting partner,and wife of 22 years learned to shoot with it.;)

Mine would be a Remington 700 Classic in 25.06. I have had the gun for years, and it shoots like a dream.

I have my grandpa's Pre-64 model 70 chambered in .30-06. Has an a vintage weaver 4x on it. I shot my first Elk with that rifle. I dont hunt with it anymore becasue I would be heartbroken if something happened to it. Safe to say its my favorite anyway.

My pre-64 Winchester model 70 30-06, from my Grandpa! Love this gun and it shoots great. Can load it up or down depending on what I hunt. Have killed over 20 elk, 1 moose, 1 antelope, and several deer. I have missed several animals, but don't think it was the guns fault. :rolleyes:

My favorite is the TC Encore and the 7mm pro hunter barrel fitted with the match grade machine muzzle break and vortex viper 30mm tube scope. I also love the .54 pro hunter barrel with the millet red dot.

Remington 700 BDL 25-06. I worked on a ranch one summer in McKinnon WY when I was thirteen. At the end of the summer I bought it. I've had it for 27 years. It's killed countless game. From coyotes to elk. Her name is Bonnie!

Remington Classic .257 Roberts. will always be my favorite

I had one of those for many years. It was my everything gun. Thought about listing it, but eventually replaced it with a semi-custom 700/.280 which is now my everything gun ( but I didn't list it either).

HuntRme, I've considered buying a 280, but the 270WSM keeps yelling at me. Still undecided because I'm afraid that I will invest the money and continue to use the old 25-06. It's all about confidence and shot placement to me.

Kimber Montana .280 Ackley Improved - Leupold VX3 4.5 x 14 x 40mm - Talley mounts - Caldwell XLA bipod - Nosler 140 Accubonds - enough said ........

HuntRme, I've considered buying a 280, but the 270WSM keeps yelling at me. Still undecided because I'm afraid that I will invest the money and continue to use the old 25-06. It's all about confidence and shot placement to me.

Never been a fan of .270 cal for no good reason. I think there is a limit to how much zing you really need. One reason I got rid of the .257...it was so zingy it really made a mess if you hit a deer near the shoulder, and there was a limit to penetration I didn't like. Probably a hazard of shooting deer up close here in Western Oregon as much as anything. I needed something that would cure those two problems. Don't know how it compares to SMs, but out there a couple of hundred yards it (.280/150) shoots flatter than a standard .270/130 and has more energy than a .30-06/180. Recoil isn't bad coming from someone who thinks an '06 is the worst kicking gun he's ever shot. It shoots through an elk and doesn't blow deer to bits. Easy to handload...uses the same powder as the .257. No complaints except I need to work up a more accurate load...doesn't work so hot with factory second NP's. Thinking of switching to accubonds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back