Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Whats your daily driver?

2017 F250 6.7 diesel, crew cab, long bed. Pulls great, drives great on the highway. Room to haul just about anything I want. Not the greatest to maneuver around town but I’ve been driving long bed crew cabs for almost 20 years so I just embrace the suck. Mileage varies between 17 and 9 depending on what/if I’m pulling and how fast. Bought it new, 102k right now. Front end had to be rebuilt at 37k, radio/nav screen took a dump first year, warranty covered both issues. Only other issue was rodents ate the wires to the transmission control module in New Mexico this October on my sons deer hunt, luckily we didn’t have a trailer and had a minimal load - drove the 750 miles home without 1st-3rd gears.
1639027985891.jpeg

2006 F350 Lariat club cab 4X4. 8ft. bed rigged with a gooseneck for our 5th wheel. 247,000 miles and has been a turd on wheels. Started breaking down 6 months after warranty. Every 2-3 years I dump $3-5,000 into the latest episode. This year it was almost $7k a week after the Utah archery elk hunt.
I have max AAA towing coverage and we're on a first name basis. If we didn't have the 5th wheel, I'd dump it. Wife insists on keeping the 5th wheel...ugh. The only good part is that it's the most comfortable vehicle I've ever driven.
Even with my 800+ FICO score, it would cost over $1,000 a month to replace it plus insurance. Nope, I'll just keep fixing it when it breaks.

My wife has a 2008 FJ Cruiser with 137,000 miles and we haven't had a single problem. It's murder on my back though.
May want to look into a cummins swap. Might be cheaper at this point. those 6.0 (im assuming yours is diesel consider all the issues you have had) are a pain.

May want to look into a cummins swap. Might be cheaper at this point. those 6.0 (im assuming yours is diesel consider all the issues you have had) are a pain.
Yup, a 6.0. I did look into a new engine swap for the "new and improved " 6.0 last year during its 3rd turbo replacement. $24,000. In hindsight, I should have done it because in the last two years, I'm out $14,000 in repairs. I suspect a Dodge engine to a Ford powertrain would be substantially more than $24K.

These expenses don't include the punctured tires and busted mirror powering out of a flash flood I got myself in to this year. Hey ho.

My biggest concern is that where I usually hunt, I'm anywhere from 40 to 90 miles from cell service. So far, it has taken its dumps where cell exists.

You know KB, the irony is I could pay cash for a new truck. I just can't justify forking over $85K for any vehicle, Ford, or Dodge. It's just not in my nature. I guess I'll continue to live up to the definition of insanity.

Reactions: JDH
Yup, a 6.0. I did look into a new engine swap for the "new and improved " 6.0 last year during its 3rd turbo replacement. $24,000. In hindsight, I should have done it because in the last two years, I'm out $14,000 in repairs. I suspect a Dodge engine to a Ford powertrain would be substantially more than $24K.

These expenses don't include the punctured tires and busted mirror powering out of a flash flood I got myself in to this year. Hey ho.

My biggest concern is that where I usually hunt, I'm anywhere from 40 to 90 miles from cell service. So far, it has taken its dumps where cell exists.

You know KB, the irony is I could pay cash for a new truck. I just can't justify forking over $85K for any vehicle, Ford, or Dodge. It's just not in my nature. I guess I'll continue to live up to the definition of insanity.
Ive heard of a number of people doing the 12v cummins swap for under 10k but more realistically under 12k, its just sourcing the Engine. There are companys out there that make an adapter plate to mate the ford transmission to the cummins engine. Ive thought of replacing my v10 by doing this in the future.

I...am like you in that I will always continue to live up the definition of insanity.

Should of got the v10 lol

A Garmin Inreach might be a wise investment. Sorry to hear about your truck.

2010 impala. I will go over 250k today.
Sometimes my 2004 silverado with 206k.

Got offered a loaded crew cab silverado rst 2022 for $56k out the door. That would make a truck payment higher than my house payment. Not happening.

I drove a 97 Ranger from senior year of high school until a couple years ago (age 34 now). Still have it, pretty much just haul trash a couple miles to the dump with it is all. The frame is rusted dangerously bad, that happens around here and is why most vehicles get junked.

Now I've inherited my wife's 2013 Durango with 210k. We got her a newer Jeep Cherokee.

Got a few other junkers sitting around also, but they don't get much use.

2008 Dodge 3500 4x4 6.7L cummins cab n chassis. I bought it brand new in Steamboat Springs in February 2008. It has 198,000 on it now and has been a good truck overall. Some dented doors, replaced batteries a couple times, alternator, ran it out of fuel at least 4 times, rusty flatbed, hauled out quite a few elk, etc.
Hoping to make it to 200k on the factory clutch.20200716_204159_resized.jpg

'19 F150. By far the newest vehicle I've ever owned. Zero complaints. Decentish mileage, comfortable ride, kids' car seats fit great in backseat w room for adult human in between. Awesome family road trip ride.

View attachment 204449
Slightly mismatched junkyard aluminum topper gets applied for hunting trips and such...
My pet named pieve!

I think DouglasR wants a little off road competition Grizzly! My 18 ZR2 with cold air induction, mrp exhaust, chipped and bead lockers begs to differ. My son on the top of a mountain having a good time! That’s a trophy water bottle. I almost killed him when he jumped on the hood. 😂6AB26018-0551-4BE0-B589-6A0718011F4F.jpeg

I want a tiny, fuel efficient car for trips around town and road trips back east, but the extra insurance/costs makes it hard to justify.
It probably brakes even or saves just a little what you save with the added expenses. I find it to be worth it though to save a lot of miles life off of the truck etc.

A Garmin Inreach might be a wise investment. Sorry to hear about your truck.
Thanks for the feedback Willy Dee. I currently use Spot but I'm going to Inreach next year. Don't want to but it's necessary. I don't want to hear that the pool guy or landscaper didn't show, or my wife's mother thinks she has brain cancer this week. That's what I'll probably face with 2 way communication.

Included in my current e scouting is the location and phone number of the closest tow company. Besides the "all is well " and "make room in the freezer" buttons, the 3rd non emergency button is, "broke down, call tow truck to this location".

My daily driving is split. If the weather is good enough (No snow/ice on the roads and above 25F) I ride Karl the Kawi. Fun, quick and GREAT mpg. I will have had him 2 years in the spring. When that is not possible I drive Jack, who doubles as my hunting and hauling rig. I am very happy with him so far.

Attachments

• 20200417_144354.jpg
    20200417_144354.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 20210703_150916.jpg
    20210703_150916.jpg
    694.2 KB · Views: 7
My daily driver is a 2014 F150 XLT with 5.0L. I put a set of 20" rims on it, added a leveling kit to the front for clearance & looks. It has 264k on it.

This spring when my wife pays off her car I'll inherit it, a 2018 Subaru Crosstrek. I'll add a leveling kit all the way around for added clearance and improved stance along with upgraded all terrain tires. It'll be my daily and bird hunting vehicle, allowing the truck to be used for only truck duties.

Attachments

• 20211210_185915.jpg
    20211210_185915.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 10
Only have one vehicle: 2016 F250 diesel 142,000 miles 4X4 6.5’ bed. I put the cap on it for trips. Set up for a gooseneck.

I guess I'm not 1 of the cool kids driving a 20 year yota around but I will probably steal my wife's Nissan when she wants an upgrade. 2020 ram with the Cummins. Baddest truck I've ever owned. Leveled on 37s still running around 19mpg on road trips. Just rolled 42000 miles. Was much nicer at $1.75 per gallon when I bought it but I wouldn't trade it for nothing
20210918_180247.jpg

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back