Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Whats your daily driver?

2007 Honda Fit Sport (yes, that means I have a flappy paddle gear box). Good fuel mileage, honestly a ton of fun to drive in the 0-40 mph range. Outside of some Les Schwabb tire issues it had its first mechanical issue this summer when the AC went out at 168k

'19 F150. By far the newest vehicle I've ever owned. Zero complaints. Decentish mileage, comfortable ride, kids' car seats fit great in backseat w room for adult human in between. Awesome family road trip ride.

Screenshot_20211206-230654_Gallery.jpg
Slightly mismatched junkyard aluminum topper gets applied for hunting trips and such...

2000 Honda Accord 2 door V-6 with 265K miles. Bought it new and it was without a doubt the best vehicle I've ever owned or driven in nearly 2 million miles of driving. I say "was" because two years ago this month some stupid young female thought she could beat me through an intersection and totaled my car, popping four airbags and nearly rolling me over. (Hussy was driving with no insurance).
Now driving a 2016 off-lease CRV and so far so good.

Thanksgiving Colorado trip just under 1400 miles...averaged just under 18mpg. '18 2500HD GMC Duramax. Toyo Open Country, Cognito leveled, recently installed cold air induction. 74K.. recalls & service only. We take it most road trips in lieu of Ms Harleys coupe cage. It does around 16mpg stop and start town duty.
Should of held out for silver on mine bought white and kick myself everyone I see one in silver.

2004 Ford F-150. I drive 6 miles one way to work and most of its gravel. When I drove further I had a 2007 VW Jetta. I liked that car. It was roomy for its size, had some zip to it, got good gas mileage and did good in the winter.

2007 silverado 1500 here. 240k miles and counting. Drove 10 hours one way to the black hills in SD for a wedding this weekend. 20 hours of driving and like 1400 miles and no issues! Definately not as nice as a new truck, but it's paid for. For what used vehicles are going for right now I'll be patient a little longer
There she is in all her glory. 4 years ago I took a wire wheel to the nasty looking corroded aluminum wheels and cleaned them up and spray painted them black. Worked out pretty well!

Attachments

• 20211207_090422.jpg
    20211207_090422.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
1999 GMC Jimmy. I bought it 13 years ago in Kalispell. Over 300,000 miles. It's also my hunting and fishing rig. I have a hitch carrier as well as full length+ cartop Thule carrier. If conditions are right the deer will make the trip to town on carrier although many, including this year's buck, go on top next to the Thule. I very much like the Jimmy's tailgate to stand on when loading a deer up there. The dogs are comfortable riding in back but if it's really cold on return trip from Montana, I drop the back seats and move the barrier forward so they can get closer to the heater. A few winters ago their beds at back end froze to the floor of the cargo area! I like having the dogs where they can tell me if they need to do their business. Beats scraping poop out a crate in the back of the truck. I see that a lot! During the summer the Thule comes off so I can put my Kevlar canoe on top. Therein is the only drawback to this outfit. The canoe sits so low I'm constantly thumping my head on it walking around the back of vehicle. One other complaint is no 4x4 light on the dash array. Just the tiny one in centre of the slightly larger 4x4 shifter button. And no tranny indicator in dash array. I have to look down at shifter console between seats to see what gear I'm in. Eyes are too far off the road. It is a great vehicle for road trips. The ride is surprisingly smooth for a small rig. I salvaged electric seats from a wrecking yard and that helps immensely with long drives. It's not bad on gas mileage but not as good as one might think. I can pull my 19' tandem axel camper trailer but generally only short trips (though twice I pulled it five hours over Marias Pass). This rig really shines for daily use. Very easy to navigate and park in busy city. I can haul full sheets of plywood with back seats and tailgate down. Anything longer can go on the roof racks. Hatchback is a deal breaker for me and that seems to be all that's made in SUVs anymore so I plan to nurse this outfit till the end of my days.20201025_134929.jpg
Oh, another plus is the wrecking yards are full of these so finding parts in a hurry is easy ... like when a deer decides to take out the hood and grill.20211122_075408.jpg
Forgot to mention the greatest plus of all: just the right size. I can egress without balancing on one leg while folding myself in two (i.e. Suburu) or hauling out a step ladder (most 4x4 pickups).

Last edited:
2006 Nissan Xterra. It takes me to work, so I take it fishing and hunting and camping. >200Kmiles, stick shift (theft protection), and mostly pretty easy to keep running. Would like something newer, but not at today's prices.

Corolla…262k, perfect sized trunk for a whitetail.

Good gas mileage, and when something breaks parts are stupid cheap.
Ah, I miss my mid 94Corolla wagon some days. We drove the living shyte out of that car. Towed with it, drove it places that we really shouldn't have.... It was our only vehicle for a long time and it was bullet proof!

1999 GMC Jimmy. I bought it 13 years ago in Kalispell. Over 300,000 miles. It's also my hunting and fishing rig. I have a hitch carrier as well as full length+ cartop Thule carrier. If conditions are right the deer will make the trip to town on carrier although many, including this year's buck, go on top next to the Thule. I very much like the Jimmy's tailgate to stand on when loading a deer up there. The dogs are comfortable riding in back but if it's really cold on return trip from Montana, I drop the back seats and move the barrier forward so they can get closer to the heater. A few winters ago their beds at back end froze to the floor of the cargo area! I like having the dogs where they can tell me if they need to do their business. Beats scraping poop out a crate in the back of the truck. I see that a lot! During the summer the Thule comes off so I can put my Kevlar canoe on top. Therein is the only drawback to this outfit. The canoe sits so low I'm constantly thumping my head on it walking around the back of vehicle. One other complaint is no 4x4 light on the dash array. Just the tiny one in centre of the slightly larger 4x4 shifter button. And no tranny indicator in dash array. I have to look down at shifter console between seats to see what gear I'm in. Eyes are too far off the road. It is a great vehicle for road trips. The ride is surprisingly smooth for a small rig. I salvaged electric seats from a wrecking yard and that helps immensely with long drives. It's not bad on gas mileage but not as good as one might think. I can pull my 19' tandem axel camper trailer but generally only short trips (though twice I pulled it five hours over Marias Pass). This rig really shines for daily use. Very easy to navigate and park in busy city. I can haul full sheets of plywood with back seats and tailgate down. Anything longer can go on the roof racks. Hatchback is a deal breaker for me and that seems to be all that's made in SUVs these days so I plan to nurse this outfit till the end of my days.View attachment 204467
Oh, another plus is the wrecking yards are full of these so finding parts in a hurry is easy ... like when a deer decides to take out the hood and grill.View attachment 204468
I had a jimmy but don't remember what year it was. Same color as yours. Was a nice vehicle.

2006 F350 Lariat club cab 4X4. 8ft. bed rigged with a gooseneck for our 5th wheel. 247,000 miles and has been a turd on wheels. Started breaking down 6 months after warranty. Every 2-3 years I dump $3-5,000 into the latest episode. This year it was almost $7k a week after the Utah archery elk hunt.
I have max AAA towing coverage and we're on a first name basis. If we didn't have the 5th wheel, I'd dump it. Wife insists on keeping the 5th wheel...ugh. The only good part is that it's the most comfortable vehicle I've ever driven.
Even with my 800+ FICO score, it would cost over $1,000 a month to replace it plus insurance. Nope, I'll just keep fixing it when it breaks.

My wife has a 2008 FJ Cruiser with 137,000 miles and we haven't had a single problem. It's murder on my back though.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back