What's the craziest/coolest thing you've found in the wild?

While turkey hunting on an indian reservation I stumbled across an old cabin near a creek. I later asked the Indian guide who had dropped me off to hunt about it. He told me 4 Indian brothers lived together in it. None of the 4 brothers never married.

I'm on the way home now from Idaho from a hunting trip with a couple friends. We were driving up a two track road in the mountains before daylight. We discovered a dead black bear in the road that wasn't there the day before. Upon further inspection we realized it had been killed by a grizzly bear. There was a fight that took place on the dirt road. For about 15 yards there was claw marks in the road, blood, hair, and the ground was really tore up. The bear was partially covered up with fresh dirt and debris. A huge bed had been made next to the kill. We called the Ranger asking to keep the hide off the dead bear. He said yes just check it in and get it tagged. It was crazy the damage done to the carcass. One leg was completely broke and had a huge gash in back of neck. Pictures won't be able to describe it but I'll try. The hide had some damage to it but I'm a Taxidermist and I think I can repair it to make a nice rug and cool memory. The dead bear was an old sow. Her teeth worn down to nearly gum line. She weighed about 200 pounds.Screenshot_20191008-171916.png

Attachments

• IMG_20191002_105048.jpg
    IMG_20191002_105048.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 8
A whole lot of years ago me and another hunttalker were walking in an old skid road for an evening elk hunt on a fine Sept. day.

We had spotted the elk that morning and when we came back for the evening hunt there was a truck and horse trailer part where the old road took off. Since we were going out the old road then into the creek bottom and up the other side we figured we would be clear of the horse folks.

About a mile around the road we came around the bend to find the horses tied up, a blanket spread out on the ground and a young couple in various states of undress sipping wine.

We gave them a nod and kept on hiking. Once we crossed the draw and climbed the other side we could glass back and see them making a hasty retreat back to the truck.

I guess we spoiled the evening.

Tony, you should've taken a pic for the 'as they lay' thread.

Tony, you should've taken a pic for the 'as they lay' thread.

They weren’t quite there yet, now had we been 15 minutes later,,,,

One thing you could see, the girl giving the dude the look “you told me nobody comes here”

Several arrowheads, including a larger spear point while chasing elk in eastern ID and a small well formed point while belly crawling for lope in WY. But the coolest thing was an old pocketknife, on a very steep slope elk hunting WA. It's probably from the 20s/30s, still very functional, ended up being under a large old growth hemlock, probably a good place to stay dry during a rain storm. it's my everyday carry.
I also found a stone pedestal and mortal, on some friends ranch land in WA.
My buddy found a wad of money bird hunting, 350-ish in small bills.
IN terms of weird things witnessed...another buddy was sitting on a wet meadow during archery elk (I was sitting a different one about 1/2 mile away), not super deep but well over a mile from a road, and a guy wearing only tighty whities came walking through the meadow carrying a cardboard box, it was raining heavily.

Probably the strangest thing I ever saw while hunting was when I came across a pair of elk eyeballs laying on a down tree. Kind of a creepy looking display. On the other side of the tree, a large pile of duff covered up a lump the size of an elk. Probably a fresh cougar kill, or maybe a bear kill. Eyeballs were likely picked out and set on the tree by a bird. Mystery solved.

Probably the strangest thing I ever saw while hunting was when I came across a pair of elk eyeballs laying on a down tree. Kind of a creepy looking display. On the other side of the tree, a large pile of duff covered up a lump the size of an elk. Probably a fresh cougar kill, or maybe a bear kill. Eyeballs were likely picked out and set on the tree by a bird. Mystery solved.
Maybe they were human eyeballs,what was really under that lump?Mystery opened...Ha!,Ha! 🔥

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back