Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

What's on the smoker today?

Do we get a review?

i messed up by eating too much lunch too late yesterday, so it was a little ruined by not being as hungry as i could be.

there is some mexican food that i don't want sour cream any where near and enchiladas are one of them. just my preference. they should largely speak for themselves.

which brings me to the cilantro, can't go wrong with cilantro anywhere IMO and this is the first time i've put cilantro on enchiladas and they absolutely added goodness to them, but i also find myself thinking at the same time maybe they stay off enchiladas. let enchiladas be enchiladas. top them with white onions and be done with it. debated adding the onions halfway through the bake and coldn't decide. I'm overall a big fan of very fresh crunchy onions, so i opted to add them right before serving. the hatch chiles were a good touch, shoulda put more on the top. shoulda rolled them into the middle actually.

they were fantastic. cant' wait to eat more for lunch here in a few hours. pan on the right is all you @BackofBeyond whenever you come over for dinner.

IMG-4188.jpg

I'm overall a big fan of very fresh crunchy onions
I have a rule with onions - if they’re getting cooked, then it’s yellow onions or sweet onions. If they are served raw, then it’s white onions or red onions. The former have more sugar and do better cooked. The latter have more brightness and crispness which is better raw. YMMV.

Those enchiladas look amazing regardless of what type of onions those are!

i messed up by eating too much lunch too late yesterday, so it was a little ruined by not being as hungry as i could be.

there is some mexican food that i don't want sour cream any where near and enchiladas are one of them. just my preference. they should largely speak for themselves.

which brings me to the cilantro, can't go wrong with cilantro anywhere IMO and this is the first time i've put cilantro on enchiladas and they absolutely added goodness to them, but i also find myself thinking at the same time maybe they stay off enchiladas. let enchiladas be enchiladas. top them with white onions and be done with it. debated adding the onions halfway through the bake and coldn't decide. I'm overall a big fan of very fresh crunchy onions, so i opted to add them right before serving. the hatch chiles were a good touch, shoulda put more on the top. shoulda rolled them into the middle actually.

they were fantastic. cant' wait to eat more for lunch here in a few hours. pan on the right is all you @BackofBeyond whenever you come over for dinner.

View attachment 295072
I make chili with shredded meat from shanks that are smoked and then braised. The meat winds up being incredible.

Those look really good!

Giving it a try tomorrow. Have a cheesy potato dish to try out as well. Results to follow.
Who's idea was this, anyway? I got a late start but thought no big deal, we'll eat late. Hard to do anything very early with having to wait for the wife to wake up and take care of her. So. I got things rolling and even though I cut rounds and split several to sit out in the sun to help dry out it probably wasn't enough. Damn hard to keep the temp up where I wanted. Plenty of smoke! I added some old apple to keep a good burn going. It wasn't a big roast, actually ended up being 2 small roasts in the package so I just slammed them together side by side to act as one. I wrapped them in paper when they hit 145. It took FOREVER to get past the stall. We normally eat around 5 but that wasn't happening. Finally got pissed and cranked it up. It was up to 300 at one point. I shouldn't have, but I wanted to just get done. It finally got up to 195 and I went out to wrap it all up in a towel to rest. Unhooked the smoker probe so I could keep the meat probe connected and monitor the temp as it sat and started wrapping things up. I had the firebox lid open to stop the smoke rolling through the racks and give me a little light. Flipped the package over and went to tuck the towel ends in when I saw the probe wire at the edge of the box. Grabbed the wire and BOOM! My transmitter popped off and landed right in the middle of the red hot coals! 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

It's sitting on the counter wrapped up in the towel and I'll throw it (no pun intended, but close to actually doing it!) in the fridge for tomorrow. I have no clue how it turned out and right now don't really care too much. Just my luck I ruined it by cranking up the heat. 🤷‍♂️

My chuck roast(s) turned out as expected. Not great. Dried around the edges and a bit dry. I sliced it cold and put the slices in a pan with a splash of water and covered with foil to slowly steam as it warmed in the oven. Edible but not real proud of the results.

Got on EBay and snagged a dual probe ThermoPro for $22.99 to replace the one I burned to a crisp. I'll split a few more rounds to get them drying more before I cook anything else. Lesson learned.

Sister invited us over this weekend I asked if I could bring anything she said "how about a brisket". Smoked at 180 overnight cranked it to 225 around 8am then wrapped in paper around 10am took it off when it hit 196 about 3:30. Slices, pulled, and some really good burnt ends.20231007_163336.jpg20231007_181542.jpg

I smoke at 160 degrees for 2 hours then reverse sear on the grill for a few minutes per side then wrap and rest for about 10-20 minutes. Comes out medium rare if I do it right.View attachment 295645
I see, I've always just seared the hell out of it then moved to indirect heat till around 130 then rest. I'll have to try reverse sear sometime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back