Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

What's on the smoker today?

What casings are you using, and what fat do you mix with antelope meat?
Just a 8lb pork butt, the rest is lean antelope scraps. With the water, cheese, and seasonings 25lbs of meat ends up around 30lbs. I did one batch yesterday of 21mm casings. These casings are 16mm and 1.5” smoked casings from Waltons.

I am experimenting with this new smoker. I used the racks yesterday and had some in the center that didn’t cook the same as the outside. They were almost there but not quite. I’ve never been able to hang them before, so that was todays attempt.

IMG_2383.jpeg

Here is the final before cutting and packaging. Hanging definitely works better. As far as the smoker goes, a vertical for snack sticks is way better. There was zero loss unlike when done on a horizontal grill. The horizontal always burns around the outside edge. The vertical does get done more on the edges but nothing is burnt. This particular smoker fluctuates temp more than I care for 15 degrees most of the day. It may just be mine but that seems excessive with a PID controller.

IMG_2388.jpeg

Question for you folks that have smoked a beef chuck roast. Seasoning? Served sliced like a brisket? Probably not since the grain is vertical. Sides?

We have a few days of upper 80s now before it drops to the 60s and I thought about doing some smoking to keep some heat out of the kitchen.
I stick with a simple salt, pepper, garlic powder mix for anything beef. Heavier on S&P than the garlic.

You can slice it if you want, mine tend to fall apart like pulled pork because of the vertical grain, so I just let it.

My favorite side is a big pot of beans, jalapeño poppers, and a chunk of cheddar cheese.

Recipe por favor? It looks like a perfect filling for tamales.

Pretty simple with what was available. Avo oil salt pepper for the smoke.

For the crock, some beef broth, additional oil, like 6 cloves of garlic, ancho Chile mixture, one can of chipotles in adobo, additional salt & peoper, cumin, and was gonna do hot diced hatch chiles but the baby will also be eating this meat so those will go individually into the enchiladas instead so he doesn’t get over spiced.

This is the good stuff right here

IMG_4181.jpeg

Last edited:
I stick with a simple salt, pepper, garlic powder mix for anything beef. Heavier on S&P than the garlic.

You can slice it if you want, mine tend to fall apart like pulled pork because of the vertical grain, so I just let it.

My favorite side is a big pot of beans, jalapeño poppers, and a chunk of cheddar cheese.
Giving it a try tomorrow. Have a cheesy potato dish to try out as well. Results to follow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back