PEAX Equipment

What's on the smoker today?

I like them as all sausage, maybe some cheese. First ones I did were a mix of 80/20 beef and ground pork, came out too dry, sausage seems to do much better.

Can just about smell it! Where do you find the curved racks on the lower shelves?
MacGyvered those. Started off as flat cooling racks, and I bent the ends to get them to fit. The regular racks had too much spacing and the smaller pieces of jerky would fall thru, so I Jerry rigged those. They still function as cooling racks as well.

What kind of smoker is that?
It’s an old Masterbuilt electric. It was my first smoker and has cooked a lot of meat, but I pretty much only use it for jerky these days since I have other options that put out better smoke. But the vertical racks on this one allow me to load up a lot of jerky so I still use it for that.

Have to imagine that it's pretty handy for hanging sausages, I've been looking for something like that
Definitely. I’d go with the one that’s taller than mine if I were hanging stuff. Downside is that there’s hotspots due to a small heating element at the bottom right, so you need to rotate things throughout the cook to get even cooking. I rotate jerky (both moving racks and spinning them) every hour for 6 hrs. The lower the smoker temp, the more profound the hotspots are since you don’t have as much airflow.

Definitely. I’d go with the one that’s taller than mine if I were hanging stuff. Downside is that there’s hotspots due to a small heating element at the bottom right, so you need to rotate things throughout the cook to get even cooking. I rotate jerky (both moving racks and spinning them) every hour for 6 hrs. The lower the smoker temp, the more profound the hotspots are since you don’t have as much airflow.
Totally agree with this.

Have to imagine that it's pretty handy for hanging sausages, I've been looking for something like that
I'll try to remember to post a pic of my smoker. It's a 1940's refrigerator that my grandfather made a smoker out of. The interior is porcelain I think. I use a couple hot plates and thermometers to keep tabs on it. Holds a lot of meat or fish. I'm 58 and I remember this smoker when I was a little kid. mtmuley

My wife said the other day...you need to smoke something...it's been a while...I said I agree....I'm thinking salmon...

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back