What's on the smoker today?

Decided to try smoked beef cheeks and bologna burnt ends this weekend. Was gonna do a smoked turkey, but the wife is away, too much food for just me. Burnt ends were ridiculous, easy and yummy. Made barbacoa with one beef cheek last night, made a sandwich on a bun toasted in beef tallow, with kimchi and a spicy Korean BBQ sauce tonight. Wife doesn't know what she's missing

20231015_174435.jpg20231013_152725.jpg

Everyone is cooking and recommending wagyu briskets. At $14 a lb, seems cheap for wagyu, but a chunk of money considering it's a 15lb slab of beef. Guy yesterday said prime is a waste of time, wagyu is the only way to go. I'm having a hard time believing that, though I have never actually tried wagyu. Is it really 3x better than prime? Should I give one a go this weekend?

Also, to anyone is Denver, I stopped by Proud Souls in Littleton and was very impressed. Very friendly staff, lots of rubs, sauces, woods, pellets, accessories in stock. I'll be trying one of their duroc pork butts in the near future.

Everyone is cooking and recommending wagyu briskets. At $14 a lb, seems cheap for wagyu, but a chunk of money considering it's a 15lb slab of beef. Guy yesterday said prime is a waste of time, wagyu is the only way to go. I'm having a hard time believing that, though I have never actually tried wagyu. Is it really 3x better than prime? Should I give one a go this weekend?
Go ahead and try it. Then report back on your decision if it was worth it or not. Meanwhile, Kroger here has whole brisket for $2.99

Sounds like those guys can't make good brisket anyway. I noticed a nice uptick between choice and prime, but I'm already trimming a bunch of fat off a prime brisket and it's still very juicy and moist at the end. This coming from a guy that doesn't wrap the brisket either.

Briskets cooks a long time to render fat and connective tissue. Wagyu is supposed to be tender and render easily already. Seems like one doesn't need the other. I guess if you're doing just a brisket flat it might make a material difference. If you do it at least put a pan underneath to catch all those smoky wagyu drippings.

Go ahead and try it. Then report back on your decision if it was worth it or not. Meanwhile, Kroger here has whole brisket for $2.99
I'm jealous, hard to find brisket at out Kroeger. $4.50 ish for prime at Costco though, still a good deal. I'm gonna have a hard time pulling the trigger on waygu, but who knows

Back