What's New This Year?

Thanks Oak! May give some pause due to your comments and do some more research. Like you said though, new stuff takes getting used to and you included some very good points to keep in mind.

Haven't really bought too much in the way of gear this year for me other than a couple more base layers, some Lowa boots, my first trail camera, a few turkey calls for my boys and Camo that they'll probably grow out of by the fall. Won a 300 Weatherby in a raffle, so I'm ahead.

Too many things on the list to note all of them and probably won't have the cash to buy 3/4 of them this year: new GPS (was/still looking @ Garmin 62st/Oregon 450), new scope for the Wby (if I decide to keep it), new rifle (looking at Tikka T3 in 30.06), Vortex binos... and the list is LONG!

I do have a refund check coming from CO which was already technically spent, so it's like 'found money', right? ;)

Discovered another flaw (IMO) the hard way yesterday.

If you load waypoints onto your GPS, and then decide to add more later, it erases all of the previously added waypoints from the unit. When I discovered this at work yesterday, it went something like this: :confused::mad::(:W:

Pretty minor things, and stuff most probably don't care about. Keep in mind that I've only used it for 4 days, and may simply not have some of this figured out yet.

1. No "Welcome" screen where you can program your name, phone #, etc. That got my 60Csx back to me in the past when I lost it.

2. I liked the belt clip on the 60 vs. the carabiner clip on the 62. The GPS swings a lot on the carabiner.

3. If you turn the backlight on so that the screen lights up every time you use the keys, the settings stay the same even if you turn the GPS off. The 60 would default back to no light if you shut the unit off, preventing you from running the batteries down more quickly the next day if you didn't realize that the backlight was on.

4. I use Nat. Geo. TOPO to manage data that I upload to my GPS. With the 62, I don't get the "notes" associated with my waypoints when I upload them. This is huge for me. I've tried to convert my data to a file that BaseCamp will recognize with no luck.

5. You cannot interface with the GPS while it is plugged into the computer. The screen just shows a "connected" page. Also, when you disconnect it from the computer, the unit shuts off immediately. With the 60, you get a 30 second warning that allows you to cancel and keep the unit on.

6. The battery level is not shown on the map screen, unless you add it as a data field. I prefer no data fields on the map, as they take up a lot of room. On the 60, there was just a small battery symbol in the corner that showed you how much battery was left.

Those are a few of the things I have found so far. Like I said, pretty minor (except the data issue for me). It is a nice unit, and I'm sure that I'll get used to it.

Gonna have to add a new Horse to the string since mine has career ending ringbone.

My feet grew and I'm going to need to buy some new Pac's for Elk hunting. Looking at Schnees..

The WW Stock Trailer is on it's last legs. Looking at a Maverick to replace it.

It's gonna be an expensive Summer.....

If you load waypoints onto your GPS, and then decide to add more later, it erases all of the previously added waypoints from the unit. When I discovered this at work yesterday, it went something like this: :confused::mad::(:W:

Well that really sucks, I might just watch for a used 60. I don't like figuring out new gizmo's.

Oak, thanks for the info on what has changed. Has anything improved with the 62 series? Everything you've stated makes it sound inferior...

Thanks,
Ron

Added new Kenetrek mountain 400
New broadheads, doz. arrows, and biscuit replacement
Full Sitka Open Country set-90% jacket, mountain pant, Jetstream vest, traverse gloves, beanie, and balaclava, core zip t

Oak, thanks for the info on what has changed. Has anything improved with the 62 series? Everything you've stated makes it sound inferior...

Thanks,
Ron

I'm sure there are improvements with things that I don't use, or haven't used yet. These units do a lot of things that I just don't need. I need to spend more time with this one to give a better report.

Well that really sucks, I might just watch for a used 60.

Me too. In fact, I'll check ebay to see if any Colorado sellers have a used 60Csx with some prime waypoints already punched in to it. ;)

Looks like I've held off the wife on a new house for too long and my summer might get real, real expensive in the next few weeks.

Had better luck the second time and wife likes this tent over the Hilleberg?

P1040357.jpg

no new gear for my use, however my son turns 10 this year, so he can participate in the shooting in the duck blind this year. That means I have to find a 20 gauge for him to shoot, and a case of 20 gauge shells. Other than that, I'll just have to make do with what I have, other than buying more of the state worth of maps, eventually I'll have the rest of the state if I keep it up.

Pretty minor things, and stuff most probably don't care about. Keep in mind that I've only used it for 4 days, and may simply not have some of this figured out yet.

1. No "Welcome" screen where you can program your name, phone #, etc. That got my 60Csx back to me in the past when I lost it.

2. I liked the belt clip on the 60 vs. the carabiner clip on the 62. The GPS swings a lot on the carabiner.

3. If you turn the backlight on so that the screen lights up every time you use the keys, the settings stay the same even if you turn the GPS off. The 60 would default back to no light if you shut the unit off, preventing you from running the batteries down more quickly the next day if you didn't realize that the backlight was on.

4. I use Nat. Geo. TOPO to manage data that I upload to my GPS. With the 62, I don't get the "notes" associated with my waypoints when I upload them. This is huge for me. I've tried to convert my data to a file that BaseCamp will recognize with no luck.

5. You cannot interface with the GPS while it is plugged into the computer. The screen just shows a "connected" page. Also, when you disconnect it from the computer, the unit shuts off immediately. With the 60, you get a 30 second warning that allows you to cancel and keep the unit on.

6. The battery level is not shown on the map screen, unless you add it as a data field. I prefer no data fields on the map, as they take up a lot of room. On the 60, there was just a small battery symbol in the corner that showed you how much battery was left.

Those are a few of the things I have found so far. Like I said, pretty minor (except the data issue for me). It is a nice unit, and I'm sure that I'll get used to it.

Took me forever to find where this was posted haha, but after trying to find some reviews online I found that you can create a custom startup message (e.g., if found, please call…) by connecting it to your computer and editing the Garmin/startup.txt file.

Found that on this review http://gpstracklog.com/2010/08/garmin-gpsmap-62st-review.html
maybe with some more looking one might find a detailedinstructional to do it.

no new gear for my use, however my son turns 10 this year, so he can participate in the shooting in the duck blind this year. That means I have to find a 20 gauge for him to shoot, and a case of 20 gauge shells. Other than that, I'll just have to make do with what I have, other than buying more of the state worth of maps, eventually I'll have the rest of the state if I keep it up.

One new piece of gear this year was also a new shotgun for my kiddos. I have left and right handed shooters so I decided to go with at Browning BPS Micro in a 20. That way I only need to get one, as it ejects out the bottom! It also shoots 3-IN shells. Nice little compact shotgun, it should serve them well.

Volquartsen Custom .17HMR
Minus 33 Expedition weight full hoody
Minus33 light weight 100% wool shirts and boxer briefs

Back