What's New This Year?

I unexpectedly got a new GPS this weekend!

...after losing my old one at work on Friday. :mad:

basic tent stakes like these, the pine duff was way deep there. I thought it would be a problem so I even put rocks on top of the stakes. No help.

Attachments

• mountainsmith-tent-v-stakes-aluminum-pack-of-eight-in-see-photo~p~4363c_99~1500.jpg
    mountainsmith-tent-v-stakes-aluminum-pack-of-eight-in-see-photo~p~4363c_99~1500.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 815
I had bought 4 like these to use if I wanted to tie the sides of the tent out and they seemed to hold much better. The stakes on the front right side of the picture where like these and held. Not sure what direction to go with different stakes. But I'd like that to not happen again.

Attachments

• kelty-nobendium-ii-gold.jpg
    kelty-nobendium-ii-gold.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 561
Which one?
GPSmap 62st. Wish would have had more time to look. Thought about the touch screens, but either didn't like the price or the short battery life.

Have already found a few things I don't like about this one over my old 60Csx.

Only a few things added to my gear list this year. After 10 straight days of rain on my AZ archery elk hunt last year, I picked up some good rain gear, the KUIU Chugach jacket and a pair of Sitka Stormfront light pants.

Wasn't planning on adding to my tent collection, but mentioned to my dad that while taking one of my kids javelina hunting with me this last year my Bighorn II tent was too much for just the two of us. He decided my kids needed a Reliable Tent Co. 10x10 Teton tent.

P1040747.JPG

P1040750.JPG

I think this tent will be great for quick weekend scouting/hunting trips with me and 1 or 2 kids. Sets up and takes down quickly and easily.

GPSmap 62st. Wish would have had more time to look. Thought about the touch screens, but either didn't like the price or the short battery life.

What things don't you like about the 62st vs the 60CSX?

Ron

Interesting take on the stakes. I use the same ones (I think, are they MSR?), and have had zero issues. Not sure anything would hold in duff, similar to tundra moss crap. I usually dig down if I can, anchor with a rock like you did. I also tie off my tent to a bush or tree to make sure it hasn't blown away when I come back at the end of the day.

We used a tipi last fall on our moose hunt, strong winds in the 35-45mph a few days. The stakes we had pulled out as well, even with rocks. The stakes were the round ones that you said held. I didn't think there was any comparision between them and the MSR ground hogs... night and day.

Attachments

• DSCN0614.jpg
    DSCN0614.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 489

I lost my 60csx this spring as well and figured I'd be replacing it with the 62st. What don't you like about the new one?

I bought a Garmin Rhino 655t.... By "I Bought", I mean my firend bought 2 and I can borrow one of his..... (Says the guy, to his wife, when she asks if thats new.........) ;)

Here's my short list...

Double Bull blind
another salmon rod and reel
Binos for the Kid
Tikka 308 Win.
small Canon camera

Big Agnes Fly Creek 2
Under Armour Cold Gear (camo)
QAD Ultra Rest
Ugly Stick Ultra light
Vortex Diamnondback 10x42 for the wife.
New Camo's for the wife bib and jacket
Eberlestock x2 for the wife.

Looking at new GPS/Sleeping Pad/Sleeping bag/Jet Boil

M1 elevation turrets on my 30-06 with the fixed 6 power and the 300 wsm with 3.5-10 power.

Peep sights for both muzzleloaders.

12x14 wall tent with stove from Davis Tent.

2012 Toyota Tundra.

I need to quit spending $ now.

2012 Toyota Tundra.

Welcome to the darkside. Bought mine in '08. I've had trucks all my life, and the Tundra is on an entire different level. Just over 60,000 miles, driven all over the country, and haven't put a penny into it. Other than tires and one set of brake pads.

Welcome to the darkside. Bought mine in '08. I've had trucks all my life, and the Tundra is on an entire different level. Just over 60,000 miles, driven all over the country, and haven't put a penny into it. Other than tires and one set of brake pads.

Might want to change the oil too sometime........ ;)

I only added a few items, but they weren't that easy on the wallet. A Hilleberg tent to keep me dry during AK's less than stellar weather conditions and a used 14' self bailing Sotar raft for transporting myself, camp, and game downriver on float hunts. Add on the $100s I spent customizing the raft and rowing frame to end up with the set up I really wanted.

Can't wait till September when I use them on the same trip.

My 7 year old got his 1st real bow. A new to him, 'gently used' Mission.
New boot laces for the Mendls. (Doesn't really compare to a 2012 truck?!)
New O/U.

What things don't you like about the 62st vs the 60CSX?

I lost my 60csx this spring as well and figured I'd be replacing it with the 62st. What don't you like about the new one?

Pretty minor things, and stuff most probably don't care about. Keep in mind that I've only used it for 4 days, and may simply not have some of this figured out yet.

1. No "Welcome" screen where you can program your name, phone #, etc. That got my 60Csx back to me in the past when I lost it.

2. I liked the belt clip on the 60 vs. the carabiner clip on the 62. The GPS swings a lot on the carabiner.

3. If you turn the backlight on so that the screen lights up every time you use the keys, the settings stay the same even if you turn the GPS off. The 60 would default back to no light if you shut the unit off, preventing you from running the batteries down more quickly the next day if you didn't realize that the backlight was on.

4. I use Nat. Geo. TOPO to manage data that I upload to my GPS. With the 62, I don't get the "notes" associated with my waypoints when I upload them. This is huge for me. I've tried to convert my data to a file that BaseCamp will recognize with no luck.

5. You cannot interface with the GPS while it is plugged into the computer. The screen just shows a "connected" page. Also, when you disconnect it from the computer, the unit shuts off immediately. With the 60, you get a 30 second warning that allows you to cancel and keep the unit on.

6. The battery level is not shown on the map screen, unless you add it as a data field. I prefer no data fields on the map, as they take up a lot of room. On the 60, there was just a small battery symbol in the corner that showed you how much battery was left.

Those are a few of the things I have found so far. Like I said, pretty minor (except the data issue for me). It is a nice unit, and I'm sure that I'll get used to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back