What's a degree worth?

Ithaca 37

Every so often we get someone here in Hunt Talk who tries to tell us a college "educashun" isn't important!:D Usually it's down in Sportsmen's
Issues or Current Events.
-----------------------------------------------------

Your Best Career Investment: College
Any way you measure it, a college degree is the best investment of your life. In today's dollars, a bachelor's degree is worth more than $2.1 million over 40 years. "Having that post-secondary diploma can make such a difference in lifetime earnings," said Washington, D.C.-based Employment Policy Foundation President Ed Potter.

During a recession, obtaining a college degree becomes even more crucial. According to the U.S. Department of Labor, all seven of the job categories that are predicted to grow faster than average during the next decade require a college diploma. These careers, which include teaching, healthcare and technology, will account for 42 percent of the nation's projected job growth by 2013.

The Path to Opportunity

Conversely, men and women without a post-secondary degree are losing ground. The Department of Labor reports that employments for those with bachelor's degrees grew by 1.8 million during the past 10 years compared to a loss of nearly 700,000 jobs for those armed with a high school diploma.

But earnings are only part of the benefits. A college education enriches your life in ways that cannot be measured by dollars. "Education is power," Frederick Douglass observed nearly 150 years ago. Today, education remains the path out of poverty toward opportunity. It is also the route to achievement, enrichment, knowledge and success. Most important of all, education makes dreams come true.

The Rewards Are Endless

Whether personal or practical, the college experience can be both life affirming and career enhancing. The classroom and the coursework expose you to diverse people and ideas. They open up a world that challenges and stimulates you in ways both big and small. You'll discover new interests or pursue familiar subjects with passion and depth. Business, history, literature, teaching, medicine, technology, the arts -- the list is endless. Along the way, your knowledge base expands, your critical-thinking skills become sharper and your confidence grows.

And once earned, a college degree is forever, as the payoff from higher education can never be erased, broken or laid off. Here are a few examples of that payoff:

A career that is professionally satisfying and intellectually stimulating; one that taps into your potential and challenges you to perform at your peak.
A profession that is in demand with upwardly mobile opportunities.
An arsenal of skills that empower you to control the pace and direction of your career.
A secure future that comes with a steady profession that can ride out any economic rollercoaster.
A Foundation in Unstable Times

Even during a recession, the U.S. Bureau of Labor projects that 23 million jobs will be created in the next decade. Management-related occupations will account for nearly a third of the total, according to the Employment Policy Foundation, a non-profit, non-partisan research and educational foundation focusing on workplace trends and policies.

In addition, a just-completed survey conducted for the Chronicle of Higher Education shows that despite unease with the economy, Americans faith in higher education is unwavering. The nation continues to have confidence in the value of a college degree, with more than half of respondents saying it is "essential for success." Your future depends on it.

If you work for wages/salary and not yourself... its invaluable... Truth is "any" degree will get your foot in the door.... that being said you may end up doing work not even related to your field of expertise... but to recruiters it shows you put out the extra effort to further your education and that you have the inititive to learn.

But I believe "experience" is also very valuable

If I need production "RIGHT NOW" give me the guy with "experience"

But overall Ithaca your post is correct for the masses.

Skewl is for people that have no Ambition, self modivation, people skills, or Drive. You know, Like Lawyers and Engineers :)

Some professions you need schooling but others not so much. Most of the money is in "street smarts". Sales and making money off of other people. I would rather make $1 off of 100 people then be making $100/hr myself.

"Education is power,"

I agree with that. thats exaclty why I don't like school. You learn technical ways to do stuff, not practical. Just like teachers. Most teachers teach a profession because they can't make it in the real world doing it.

Moosie, will you encourage or discourage your kids from continuing their formal educations beyond high "skewl"?

:D

I will support them in whatever they decide. Depending on what they want to do. Unfortunately having a 4 year in certain area's is needed. I say unfotunately because I think on the job training is better. I'm all for Internships and on the job training.

No matter what they're going to get into, I will have tought them about practical money too. I've already sat downand calculated my company's % billable and profit loss statements with Little "O". He understands buy low, sell high, and how to make money work for him. He's 9. Most people don't know that in their 30's.

I think there should be investment and money business class's at school too. Maybe one to learn to budget as well. Sure, knowing info about the civil war might be cool to some people, but for the average joe in life, it's worthless. And yes, I'm sticking to that :D

I think there should be investment and money business class's at school too. Maybe one to learn to budget as well. Sure, knowing info about the civil war might be cool to some people, but for the average joe in life, it's worthless. And yes, I'm sticking to that :D

I'm not sure what's offered in high school these days, but I agree that there should be more classes on investing and money management in general.

Ok, as far as my education goes, it was top notch. The cool thing about both of my degrees is that they required internships, and campaigns. For my degree in Public Relations I had to take several marketing classes, as well as classes that taught how to use the money that you were making etc. Now as far as professors who teach because they can't make it in the real world I would have to disagree. Most of mine spent their summers doing consultation for businesses in the Houston, Dallas/Fort Worth and Austin areas. They weren't the little businesses either. One of my business professors even viewed college as job training, and the way that he taught reflected that.

It was cool to actualy produce a press release, use it to develop an advetising strategy, use case studies I had written papers over as background information, then implement the campaign based on what we learned. Overall it is very beneficial.

I also have to say that learning the history of this country through my general education courses produced a better understanding of who I was trying to sell things to, and where to focus my advertisement. Taking speech classes aided me in the development of my communication skills which in turn has allowed me to talk to employers. Classes that taught me how to use a computer and manipulate photos has also taught needed skills for most employers.

I do believe that the right on the job training is important, but education done right will provide the same benefits as well as a much more well rounded experience.

It is strange that some of the stuff that should be taught in public school is non-existant... including,why not to pollute/litter etc.

Moosie makes a great point... I`m thinking he likes "street science too";)

I guess the importance of education is really based on what you want out of life, what are your goals and aspirations. If you are happy with the path you’ve taken and where it’s gotten you, then you probably have several other things going for you or you are a just a lazy slacker. (Just kidding)
I spent 12 ½ years in the U S Nuclear Submarine Navy straight out of high school (enlisted) and did pretty darned well for myself (E-7). When I got out on a medical discharge though, I applied for equivalent level work at commercial nuclear power plants and found it a little frustrating to say the least.
My commissioned officer friends had much less difficulty finding the working they were looking for. I did find a job at a lower pay grade and spent a year or so working my way up. Thank goodness my new company had a tuition assistance program and during that year I completed the remaining requirements for my 4 year degree in Nuclear Technology. I have since received a degree in Business Management. It has taken longer than most folks but I am pretty happy with my life. Since the company is now paying for it, I don’t have too far to go til I get the “Masters”

P.S Having an education doesn’t necessarily make you smart or give you the gift of common sense. Some of the PhD’s I work worth can’t be allowed to go to the convenience store by them selves. Many of the non-degreed folks I work with are the smartest and most competent people I know.

While I agree that there is a huge portion of the 'skilled' jobs out there that can be performed by anyone with a little ambition, and willingness to learn there are quite a few that will take a few years of school to get the background to even be able to understand day to day problems. There is a learning curve in any job, but IMO someone that at least has an undestanding of what they are supposed to do will pick it up much fast than someone with no clue.

I went to school, got a degree in Mining Engineering and presently do Civil Enigneering work. I feel like I have a pretty firm grasp on what I do on a day to day basis, took me 5 years, but I feel pretty confidant that I can either figure it out on my own or know who to talk to if need be. The majority of what I do was learned at work. I had very little background in Civil engineering.

What my wife works on in day to day basis would take 2-3 years worth of college level math just to keep up, not only basic Calculus, but understanding the theroy behind the equations she works with on a day to day basis. I don't care how ambititious you are, there is not really anyway you can learn that type of math with out going to school for it in some form or another. I suppose you could try to learn it from a book, but you would have to be a VERY motivated individual to figure it out. Not to mention have the brain power to understand it. I don't have either, thats why I'm not an Electrical/Systems engineer. LOL

Moosie, how did you get the job you had before you started your own business? Did you take any classes? I would say you are an exception rather than the rule.

I think every ones 'success' threshold is diffrent. Personally we live comfotably andget/do/have pretty much anything we want. About the only thing we need 'more' of is vacation time. LOL

Do I think school was a waste of time? Not at all what where you doing the first 4-5 years you graduated from high school? I spent a pretty decent chunk of that playing in the woods.

If a person isn't motivated to go on to secondary education, why would they be motivated to excell in thier job?

It isnt worth Jack Shit if you get a degree in a dead end Major. It also inst worth jack if you are an idiot who only has a degree and no motivation.
Just because you can become a career student, that doesn't mean you will be rolling in cash.
That being said, I hope my Son decides to make something of himself and go to the higher schools of learning, but if he wants to do skilled trades that is fine too. Always good money for electricians and Tool and Die makers, and the likes.

Those college degrees are OK I guess ..... hell, this dumb azz HS grad employ's quite a few.

I'm with Moosie on this. Although I understand the importance of a degree, I sure see a lot of folks that pizzed away 4,5 or 6 years of mom & dad's college money for some dead beat degree that does'nt pay as well as a skilled trade.
Give me a nose to the grindstone, hard worker with some good basic math, reading and writing skills and I don't care if he has a degree or not, he will be able to make a buck.

I also agree that some basic money management skills should be required in high school.

Two things:

1. Just because one has a college degree doesn't mean they can't have common sense or be a hard worker.

2. College is not just about getting a degree to make money. IMO, there are many other benefits to going to college...and yes some were fun!! :D

If I had completed my degree out of High School, I would have had more Income by now but I worked my way up through the ranks at work and now I am going back because Like Idaho Muley the company pays for it. I was originally an Arospace Engineering major but have slowing been working for my Business Management. I have to agree with the drive part. We have employees with Masters Degrees that are Bill Collectors because degrees in SandScript isn't useful in the real world. We have one site that I work with where 95% of our employees are college students the sad part is some have been in school for the 9 years I've been with the company and making 9 bucks an hour.

I guess the importance of education is really based on what you want out of life, what are your goals and aspirations.

I like this statement, it defines it very well

When it comes to working around people, I find generally those who work on their education to fill in the gaps of what they're missing from work related issues, seem to be more well rounded and make better trouble shooters than those who have only one or the other

Those who are indoctrinated with school first take longer to grasp basic concepts of the inner workings of a topic then those who have been in the trenches for even a short time

Those who haven't had the schooling usually end up being very good foremen or superintendents, but can't seem to make that next step into upper management

....if not tempered with common sense & work ethic, it's worth minimum wage at Circuit City....of course if used in combination with nepotism, political connections, or exhorbitant inheritance it's prolly a plus.

We've beat this horse to death.

Uhhhhh..... Nowhorelay, You lost me again :)

1. Just because one has a college degree doesn't mean they can't have common sense or be a hard worker.

I agree 100%, jsut like saying that someone doesn't go to the higher learnin' won't let them get out of life everything and more. there are people in both cases.

... Although I can tell 1-pointer has a good degree... ;)

Uhhhhh..... Nowhorelay, You lost me again :)

I agree 100%, jsut like saying that someone doesn't go to the higher learnin' won't let them get out of life everything and more. there are people in both cases.

... Although I can tell 1-pointer has a good degree... ;)

...sorry Moozeighty.:)

...sorry Moozeighty

redcard.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back