What's a degree worth?

Yeah, I've got lots of people with degrees working for me. ;) They're great.

HAHA !!! Thats funny, I don't care who you are !!! Even funnier when you don't have a degree ;)

I was told several times that I won't make it. Was destined to be a Blue collar minimum wage type guy. Wanted to Play to much. To bad of grades, YAddy yaddy. Something about school was more then Chicks, parties and sports. I'm not sure what those people are doing now that said that and actually studied... but I loved school for the 3 things mentioned above :) :) I took a 2 year degree in school and was voted least likely to succeed. Not a bad deal, I think I got that diploma in some drawer somewere. The only Degree I hang is the Hula Degree I got this year in Hawaii for compleeting the Hula class. Thats kind of important !! . I'm doing OK for someone thats not suposed to make it I guess ;).. OOPS, I spelt a few werds wrong,......:p

IMO...a person need specialized education/training to make oneself of value.

Whatever floats your boat, engineer, neuro surgeon, accounting, plumber, auto body tech are all good.

In my case, my diploma was well worth the time and effort.

Certainly there are many careers that require a degree, and many others were a specialized education is the only way to success. That being said, there are plenty of paths to achievement without a collage degree.
The people who succeed in life, what ever their goals, are those who are self motivated. People who understand what it means to give 110%, to do their best to achieve a goal. Because completing a higher education and obtaining a degree requires this kind of dedication, people with degrees tend to be more successful in life.
Is it possible that the numbers regarding income are misinterpreted?
Joe has a degree in XYZ, and makes six digits. Does Joe make good money because of his degree, or is it because he applies the same dedication to his job that it took to get his degree? Certainly it depends on the specific job, but most of the successful people with degrees would be successful without that degree.

The above article completely full of self serving bullchit. I suggest that if those who have achieved a degree still need this type of self delusional ego massage, perhaps they need to see a mental health professional and explore their self esteem issues.

it is also the route to achievement, enrichment, knowledge and success.

What part of this does not apply to hard work and an open mind, degree or not?

Most important of all, education makes dreams come true.

Is the author implying that those without degrees never see their dreams come true, and everyone with a degree will? I’m sorry, even Walt Disney didn’t believe such fairy tales

the college experience can be both life affirming

life affirming, did he really say “life affirming”, I am laughing too hard to comment on this psycho babble crap

The classroom and the coursework expose you to diverse people and ideas.

You could say that about washing dishes at the food court.

They open up a world that challenges and stimulates you in ways both big and small. You'll discover new interests or pursue familiar subjects with passion and depth
Along the way, your knowledge base expands, your critical-thinking skills become sharper and your confidence grows. .

Spend a weekend hunting upland game

A career that is professionally satisfying and intellectually stimulating; one that taps into your potential and challenges you to perform at your peak.

Do you have any idea how many people with degrees work as night managers at Denny’s?

A profession that is in demand with upwardly mobile opportunities.
An arsenal of skills that empower you to control the pace and direction of your career
A secure future that comes with a steady profession that can ride out any economic rollercoaster.

So it’s kind of like farm labor?

a just-completed survey conducted for the Chronicle of Higher Education

Isn’t that kind of like the Bush administration conducting a survey of Halliburton executives on the war in Iraq?

Fire away collage boys

IMO...a person need specialized education/training to make oneself of value.

When One talks like that, One looks like a Retard :D :D

Thats BS T-bone. You have a Kick A job because you have good people skills and work hard. Don't give me that Physco babble BullChit about those firms in Reno, vegas or South Dakota giving a Ratz a$$ about what paper you have. They know what you know, They know you work hard, (Not partaking in Hookersand Alchohol probably helps too ;) ),, And want you for that. Please correect me if I'm wrong. Or you can tell me like every one else does, Moosie, you're right again. Would one be right in saying such ?!?! ? ;)

Fire away collage boys
LOL!!!:D :D

In earning a degree one thing you might have learned is how to spell "college".

It's always entertaining to watch someone who can't spell denigrate education.:rolleyes:

Those who try to belittle a degree should try reading the article again, but slowly this time. It's not about exceptions to the rule, it's about the indisputable fact that
men and women without a post-secondary degree are losing ground. The Department of Labor reports that employments for those with bachelor's degrees grew by 1.8 million during the past 10 years compared to a loss of nearly 700,000 jobs for those armed with a high school diploma.

And here I thought the good jobs were going away and nothing but service industry jobs were available. Could it be that more jobs are requiring bachelor's degrees that did not require them in the past, simply because they can?

Some MacDonald's franchises are requiring a bachelor's degree to become a shift supervisor.

Oh Ithaca, you and 1.7 million fast food workers have really nailed me on spelling. I guess I'll have to wallow away in the mud of ignorance while you and the local Taco Bell night shift manager fly away on the wings of enlightenment.

Maybe you should re read my post slowly, I don’t “denigrate education”, only the educated who need this type of self serving mental masturbation to attempt and inflate their own egos at the expense of others.

Oh Ithaca, you and 1.7 million fast food workers have really nailed me on spelling. I guess I'll have to wallow away in the mud of ignorance while you and the local Taco Bell night shift manager fly away on the wings of enlightenment.

Maybe you should re read my post slowly, I don’t “denigrate education”, only the educated who need this type of self serving mental masturbation to attempt and inflate their own egos at the expense of others.

..and vice versa for un-degreed tycoons with chips on their shoulders.

rofl.gif

I think it really has to do with what ones circumstances are at the moment on whether they need the extra education or not to achieve their goals

Most kids coming out of high school really shouldn’t be in the higher places of learning, they just aren’t ready

The colleges like it because they get tons of kids wasting their time while filling the coffers of the college

As was mentioned earlier, depends on where your lot in life lands you

I have a cousin who is pretty high up the ladder with a company

He's just barely sitting at a ninth grade education, but he did have some very good mentors when he was coming thru the ranks and the ability to get ahead

While the facility I just quit has people with PhD's and are barely eking out an existence

I think there’s too much emphasis placed on school any way; it’s the teacher that makes the individual

We have people on this board that who don't have a ton of school behind them, but are probably some of the most learned and sharing people I know, while in the same breath, we have people here that have had a lot of education and are about as tight with it as an old woman with her money who’s living on Social Security

..and vice versa for un-degreed tycoons with chips on their shoulders.

You know why they have chips on their shoulders ? Because people like ithica say they need a collage education to be successfull... We like to remind them, (the ones with the edjucation), about the suck-cess people that don't have an Edjikation or that can't spell as well as the educated ones, make it.... and make it well.

Ithica, Tell us about your Schooling and how your assets and financial portfolio looks. I'm just curious, Thanx !!

Trying to get on the exclusive list, eh Moosie. You got a ways to go to bump me out of the number one position.

Even though my "collage" career was inspired by Animal House, I still can remember a few important details from my "Risk Management" class. Did you ever study risk management, Moosie? Or is that something you're going to learn through the School of Hard Knocks?

Because people like ithica say they need a collage education to be successfull...

Ithica, Tell us about your Schooling and how your assets and financial portfolio looks. I'm just curious, Thanx !!

Does someone need a "collage" education to be "successfull"? Absolutely not. Not sure if Ith said that, nor do I care to check. On the flip-side, I don't measure ones success by the value of a portfolio.;)

Miller- I agree with you. Success can be measured in many ways but it is undeniable that colleges have been an integral part of society since the time of Ancient Greece. If you don't believe me...look at almost all of the technology advancements (medical, political, economic, engineering, etc., etc.) and let me know where they came from. Even Moosie sitting down in the morning reading his Wallstreet Journal saying how he doesn't need no college education getting stock tips has a college or university to thank as most of the people writing for or analyzing for the Wallstreet Journal went to college. I don't know how many of you feel safe going to an optometrist, dentist, doctor, lawyer or surgeon that says "I got my education from the school of hardknocks, everyday is a learning experience, next..."

A degree may not make you "rich or famous" in itself...hell, it may not even get you a job. What you do with a degree and the education you recieved is important. It allows you choice...Ask anyone working at a mine for 20 years when the mine shuts down...most will tell you, "I wish I had a degree to fall back on..." Again, it allows you choice not success.

Miller- I agree with you. Success can be measured in many ways but it is undeniable that colleges have been an integral part of society since the time of Ancient Greece. If you don't believe me...look at almost all of the technology advancements (medical, political, economic, engineering, etc., etc.) and let me know where they came from.
Absolutely. I would think we would all be in agreement on this one.

I don't measure ones success by the value of a portfolio.;)

Tell me what makes someone successfull then ? Good wife ? Great kids ? alot of hunting time ? Lots of world wide trips ? Great job you're happy at ? Having your cake and eating it too ? Sure.... successfull ? Thats making money and living life. You dont need a Collage edjikation for that. tell me what makes someones successfull mtmiller ? Is someone still successfull if they go to school for 4 years and then works at Jack in the box ?

Let's relook at the topic :

Every so often we get someone here in Hunt Talk who tries to tell us a college "educashun" isn't important!

Collage to me wasn't important then, and it isn't now. Why would I need more ? To learn to spel betr ? Ahhh, thats the awesome part. I have guys working for me that spell better. I have a partner I teamed up with that has a 4 year engineering degree that spells worse.

BHR, I'm learning life by hard knocks. I learned that by looseing tens of thousands in the Stock market and other investments. Would I have hade those mistakes if I went to school for 10 years ? Maybe not, but I'm guessing so. Now I'm making tens of thousands by life lessons I learned. Lifes risky by nature. risk management is applying more then an Education but some Sweat off your nuts to get things done. Guys with 4+ years of Schooling usually work for companies, not own them. Saftey is first. You either sit around with your nose in a book learning it that way, or you go out and live it like it should be learned. I've chosen my path and really like it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back