What's a degree worth?

Tell me what makes someone successfull then ? Good wife ? Great kids ? alot of hunting time ? Lots of world wide trips ? Great job you're happy at ? Having your cake and eating it too ? Sure.... successfull ? Thats making money and living life. You dont need a Collage edjikation for that. tell me what makes someones successfull mtmiller ? Is someone still successfull if they go to school for 4 years and then works at Jack in the box ?

I think all of the aforementioned can make a person successful. Yes Oscar, I think you are successful.:D I don't know Ith other than what he types on this board, but seems to be successful in his own right.

Does his education make him more successful than you? If your portfolio is twice the worth as his, are you twice as successful? Seems like a couple silly questions, but I think this is what I am hearing from a couple of these posts.

As for the the burger flipper at Jack in the Box, who knows? I won't base it on his college degree or his $5.25/hr job. Would you?

You dont need a Collage edjikation for that.

Exactly, I think I mentioned that a few posts earlier in this thread.

Ithica, Tell us about your Schooling and how your assets and financial portfolio looks. I'm just curious, Thanx !!

Moosie, Got a degree in Business Administration from Univ. of Vermont. Been successful enough to live the way I want and have retired twice. Now I have two businesses and work is more fun than ever.

Every so often we get someone here in Hunt Talk who tries to tell us a college "educashun" isn't important!

That post was made to fire up those of us that don't have the 4-10 year degree's. Plain and simple. It's like putting up posts about ATV's and Game ranch's.

It's silly to put stuff up like Doctors, Engineers and lawyers need schooling. Sure they do. I will never say schooling doesn't have it's place. No one has ever argued that. Education is valuable. Some get it different ways.

My point is, and always has been you don't need a 4 year Edjikashun to do well.

T-bone, My post to you wasn't a slam, it was a compliment on how hard you work. Companies want you to work for them. Let me know if someone that applies with 4 more years of schooling will beat you out of a job ? Not unless they work as good as you and have the drive. I would bet everything I have on that and I will beat that drum all day long.

A-con broke out enough quotes of that post to make my point. But comments like :

Most important of all, education makes dreams come true.

without a post-secondary degree are losing ground.

That type of attitude makes me want to slap the writer. Comments all through that article says if you don't have "Higher education" you're losing ground and can't make it against someone that does. Those types of comments get my response.

Ithica, you are correct, my bad.... Avon and Amway are business’s , Please order my #234 but this time I want Lavander, not lilac ;)

So has Whoring. Whats your point hump
LMAO!!!

For what it is worth success to me comes with whatever makes a person happy!

The State of Idaho does not require a degree to get your license in Land Surveying. Fortunatley for me I passed the exams and am licensed, but in 2010 the state of Idaho is requiring a 4-yr degree in an approved surveying curriculum. I think that sucks cause I believe the best surveyors are the ones with the on the job experience. I have a AA degree (2-yr degree) in surveying/geomatics and I think that should cut it. I will say this about college...I think it made me sharper and taught me how to "Think" better.

We'll see if the 4-yr degree rule lasts more than a couple of years...I've never heard anyone out of high school say "When I grow up I'm gonna be a land surveyor!" The only reason it happened for my was cause I started working on a crew my sophmore year in college and liked it. I went from focusing one a 4-yr degree in Landscape Architecture to a 2-year degree in land surveying with emphasis in civil design. But the real reason I went to college was to play baseball! Best years of my life!!! I gave up my last two years of college ball to get married...stupid mistake!

I agree with Moosie. I have no debate with the concept that schooling can be worth a lot. It can also be worthless. Do I wish I had a degree? Sure, but being number 1 in the draft lottery, three years in the service and three trips to Viet Nam and the effect it had on me, did not allow me that luxury. I spent a year or two afterwards bitching about "Poor me" and wallowing in self-pity before deciding to put it behind me and move on. Which I did, quite well, thank you - without a degree.

The part I have a problem with is the people who need to show off their diploma to feel better than the unwashed masses. Yeah, I want my doctor to have a degree. At the same time, I'm not gonna let him work on my Porsche. What's the point? ;)

Fowl, I would guess that Surveyors (PLS, not rodmen) will be paid higher then most engineers in the near future. The market is demanding more and more surveying and like you said, there are less and less people going in. If my kid was getting out of school this year, I would direct him, and bribe if I had to to go that route. The 4 year schooling requirement will make it that much more in need.

Betcha a dollar the guy that designed your Porsche had a degree......

Betcha 2, that Calif. Hunter without a degree makes more than the guy that designed his porsche.......

I'm just a loser without a college education. Without any self esteem I had zero motivation to try and better myself. It helped with being basically a lazy no good bum. But at least I am around so others can be proud of themselves.:cool:

I love reading these discussions. Both sides will state that an post high school education is not mandatory to being successful. Each side will then point out examples from that prove their point (no college & lots of money vs. lots of college and lots of money, etc).

I really like my job. I could have gotten the job without any graduate education. Do I regret getting that degree? Nope. Do I get paid more because of it? Nope. Do I think it was a worthwhile endeavor? Yep. I guess I don't see education as a means to an end. Getting a degree doesn't garantee one anything, that is still up to the person, but it can often make the path a bit easier.

The original article explains it all very clearly, but here's more:

Is Earning an Executive M.B.A. Past the Age of 50 Worth It?

Answer: It's never too late. So say directors of executive M.B.A. programs at several major business schools. But deciding whether to invest in an executive M.B.A. degree--more than $100,000 at some top-ranked schools--is obviously not quite that simple.

Certainly, there's personal enrichment from continuing education. In terms of career advancement, however, a lot depends on the individual's expectations. There will be fewer years left to reap the career and salary benefits of an executive M.B.A. degree, meaning the return on the tuition investment could be less for a 50-year-old than for a graduate in his 30s or 40s.

Still, people in the post-50 generation seek the degree in hopes it will be their ticket to a promotion. Kathie Amato, assistant dean for executive M.B.A. programs at Duke University, finds that some older students still aspire to be a senior executive at their companies, while others are already in line for a high-level position through the succession planning process. "But to get there, they feel they need the knowledge and leadership skills that an executive M.B.A. can offer," she says.

The degree could prove especially valuable to people hoping for a major career change. "Some students are retired from their first career and want to use the M.B.A. to start a second career, perhaps in teaching or consulting," says William Kooser, associate dean of executive M.B.A. programs at the University of Chicago. "Some want to start their own businesses."

Robert Owen, vice president for information services at Microchip Technology Inc. in Chandler, Arizona, received an executive M.B.A. from the Thunderbird School of Global Management last year at the age of 55 and now feels "a renewed sense of limitless capabilities." He says he gained general-management skills, as well as a better understanding of such areas as legal, global finance, supply-chain management and manufacturing. "I believe in lifelong learning," he adds, "and for me this was the right choice at the right time."
http://spotlight.encarta.msn.com/Fe...ning_default_article_IsEarnExec.html?GT1=9279

Ithica...... What do you want ? A cut and Paste Debate ? Is that what you learned with your Higher Education ? Arguing on the net is like winning the Special olympics ....... Yet educated and non educated people are posting. Those that stopped are truely the smarter ones :p

I'll play, Bump set spike :

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/Careers/11/03/cb.nodegree/index.html

(CareerBuilder.com) -- Many think the only way to succeed is through education. While piling on the degrees can earn you piles of dough -- and debt -- it's not the only option.

Some of today's most successful people don't have a college degree. But what they lack in academic credentials, they make up for in tenacity, brains, guts and strong business sense.

Richard Branson -- In 1970, Richard Branson founded Virgin as a mail order record retailer, and not long afterward he opened a record shop in London. Two years later, the first Virgin artist, Mike Oldfield, recorded "Tubular Bells." Since then many household names, including Ben Harper, Fatboy Slim, Perry Farrell, Gorillaz, Lenny Kravitz, Janet Jackson and The Rolling Stones have helped to make Virgin Music one of the top record companies in the world.

Barry Diller -- Barry Diller started his career in the mail room of the William Morris Agency after dropping out of UCLA after one semester. He was hired by ABC in 1966 where he created the ABC Movie of the Week, pioneering the concept of the made-for-television movie.

At age 32, he became president of Paramount Pictures, which produced a string of successful television shows (Laverne and Shirley, Taxi, Cheers) and feature films (Saturday Night Fever, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Beverly Hills Cop) under his helm.

Matt Drudge -- Pundit, blogger and radio personality Matt Drudge is best known as the proprietor of the Drudge Report Web site. "The only good grades I got in school were for current events,"

Janus Friis -- Named to Time Magazine's 2006 list of 100 most influential people, Janus Friis holds no formal education.

Here is a quiz (since education is the topic):

What do the following people have in common?
- Bill Gates, co-founder of Microsoft Corporation.
- Paul Allen, co-founder of Microsoft Corporation.
- Larry Ellison, co-founder of Oracle Corporation.
- Michael Dell, founder of Dell Computer Corporation.
- Steve Jobs, founder of Apple Computer Corporation.

Answer:
1) Each (co)founded one of the leading I.T. businesses in the world
2) Each has a personal net worth over $4 billion
3) None of them have a degree

Exceptions. One in a hundred million.

Ithica, You are makeing statements that aren't true. Please provide some documentation to backup your statement. Internet link, some research or something. Otherwise you look like a liar.

(HEHEHE, were have we heard that before boyz and girls ?!?!)

Let's look at others .......

Rich, Richie

04.jpg

Net Worth: $10.7 billion
Source: Inheritance, Conglomerates
Marital Status: Single
Hometown: Richville, U.S.A.
Education: Richville Elementary
http://images.forbes.com/media/lists/fictional/2006/04.jpg

Clampett, Jed

05.jpg

Net Worth: $7.7 billion
Source: Oil & Gas, Banking
Marital Status: Widowed, one child
Hometown: Beverly Hills, Calif.
Education: Ozark Elementary, dropout

McDuck, Scrooge

03.jpg

Net worth: $10.9 billion
Sources: Mining, Treasure Hunting
Marital Status: Single
Hometown: Duckburg, U.S.A.
Education: Cluck U., dropout

Although..... If to help make your point, This next guy did go to Higher education.

Burns, C. Montgomery

02.jpg

Net Worth: $16.8 billion
Source: Energy
Marital Status: Single, one bastard child
Hometown: Springfield, U.S.A.
Education: Yale University, B.S.

Here is a quiz (since education is the topic):

What do the following people have in common?
- Bill Gates, co-founder of Microsoft Corporation.
- Paul Allen, co-founder of Microsoft Corporation.
- Larry Ellison, co-founder of Oracle Corporation.
- Michael Dell, founder of Dell Computer Corporation.
- Steve Jobs, founder of Apple Computer Corporation.

Answer:
1) Each (co)founded one of the leading I.T. businesses in the world
2) Each has a personal net worth over $4 billion
3) None of them have a degree

Moosie,

Every one of the 5 guys you listed above WENT to "collage". They all knew that going to "collage" was important, and, their going to "collage" provided them the opportunity to move to the next level.

The bigger thing you ignored on what they have in common is their title is either "founder" or "co-founder". None of those guys became billllionaires working for someone else.

If you would have gone to "collage" you would have learned about "risk and reward". Those guys all took "risk" and they all got "reward". That is how you are doing it, you are taking "risks" that, if they pay off, will provide you ample "reward". Nothing wrong with that. But you reward is not coming from your "skills" (other than your people skills), but your reward will come from you taking "risks" that many others would not take. Nothing wrong with that. The bigger "risks" you take, the bigger "reward" you should get.

If you were to read the history of Microsoft, you would know that the first product Gates sold to IBM did not even exsist. That was a "risk" that he took. If you read about Michael Dell, you would know how he started in his dorm room, and how he had nothing to lose when he started taking large risks. He got in trouble a number of times with regulators, and, if you were to look into his wealth, you would see how much he lost THIS year.

What do these guys all have in common?

Warren Buffett - University of Nebraska Lincoln, Bachelor of Arts / Science
Columbia University, Master of Science
Lakshmi Mittal -- St Xavier's College Calcutta, Bachelor of Arts / Science
Bernard Arnault -- Ecole Polytechnique de Paris, Bachelor of Arts / Science

Answer? They all have way more money than Larry Ellison, Michael Dell, and Steve Jobs and they all have degrees. IF you want to measure success by number of dollars, the guys with degrees seem to do ok.

And, obviously, Bill Gates knows the value of "collage", as he has put up $1 Billion (yes, with a "B") to fund the Bill Gates Millenium Scholarships.
Gates Millennium Scholarship

Through a $1 billion grant, to be administered over 20 years by the United Negro College Fund, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation will provide tens of thousands of young people with the opportunity to attend the college or university of their choice without the burden of tuition, to help them advance their education and to build a diverse generation of new leaders in the United States.
Do you think Gates see the value in "collage"?

Actually... Jed Clampett didn't go to collage. :)

Jose, you and Ithica are argueing wasted points again. He started off by saying "tries to tell us a college "educashun" isn't important!" It's the bait to get posts tactic.

NO one ever said that edjukation isn't important. .. Unless you pull it from an Argument in a quote form without the rest of the topic with it.

I will follow up by saying you dont' need schooling to do well. I will further that by saying there are alot of people that go to school that are not only "not" making it, but are losers. It gets back to the individuals. Works both ways.

Is collage important ? Sure, to some people !! So is religion. But you don't need it to make it though. (Theres a post to bait replies :D )

Ithica has always pushed, and you fall in the same catagory, that guys that don't spell aren't as good as others that can. There are people that wouldn't make it unless they had a piece of paper and there are people with that piece of paper that will never make it.

Warren has a 4 year degree. He spells worse than me. Did I need him to start the Engineering firm ? Sure, kind of hard to run a Civil Engineering firm without a PE on board ;) Would he have gone out on his own if I hadn't pushed him for years and years ?

I look at my situation and wonder if I went back to take a 4 year would that benifit me ? The answer is no. It wouldn't one bit. I don't need that paper to hang on the wall. If I want to learn more about ASHTO standards or how what the K value needs to be in a 35MPH subdivision in the sag and crest curves I don't need some Professor infront of some class wasting my time with his talks about how Technically things are made. I wan't to know Practical ways and what the contractor needs to save him money and make it work best.... in the "real world".

I understand that schooling is important because it brings education and knowing "stuff" is power. But I'll never cave that people need school to "make it" or even make it well. I will also say that the School system Sucks. I would push Vocational schools over the Common Collage's any day.

........I can hear the winds of the Religious people bringing up the afterlife and saying you need religion it to make it there.....

WOOOOOShhhhhhhh... :D :D :D

Moosie, whether it's really "important" or not, most good jobs DO require some sort of college degree, even if it's only a 2 year degree from a vocational school. So if the people doing the hiring think it's important enough to make it a requirement to apply for the job, then I'd say an education is important to be "successful." (for MOST people, you may be an exception to the rule.)

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back