Caribou Gear Tarp

What's a degree worth?

OK, I'll try to sum it up for you "BRAINS". I think sometimes you guys try to think WAY to far up in space. When you go too far up you run out of oxygen. Sometimes smart thinkers just don't know when to stop and they create these absurd, all-encompassing, high-level pictures of the universe that are all good and fine, but don't actually mean anything at all. (Yah, I read that on the net and thought it fit well here ) :D

Here's my take. Yes, When I hire someone I want then to have a Degree in the area I hire them for. When doctors go to apply they can't have jsut Ambition. They need schooling. Even with a "collage" degree in my field, I want them to have experience. It has been my experience that someone that has been out in the real world for 2 years has learned more then someone in school for 6 in the area that I need them.

READ SLOW PLEASE : Even all the jobs requiring college degrees want more then just a degree. I, and other employers, want experience.

Washington hunter, I won't argure that education is important. College isn't. People should be smart enough to do the job they do.

Moosie,

You pretty much answered the question. Warren having the degree was CRITICAL to your success in your new firm. You are the first to declare how important the degree is.

Thanks for finally "learning".....

Even Borat thought it was useful to get some instruction from a humor coach.

I hope all you guys who are trying to point out exceptions to the benefits of having a degree or further education after grade school aren't advising your kids to drop out of high school and make up for it by working hard.:D

Have you ever thought about the more subtle benefits of college courses in literature, botany, art, history, etc. even if you're never going to work in any of those fields?

Some Idahoans think Camus is a prarie.:D

Aren't you being especially enigmatic by spelling all the words in that last post correctly?:confused: :D

Is that Albert Camus, Death Camus or the Wild Camus that grows native out there...

The first was a French philosopher, the second is one of the most poisonous plants in North America and the third is one of the most edible...

Each has their place, I prefer the later as it is the most useful to treks or quests...

PS, non of my collage time learned me this... :eek: :D

Jose, The success of the firm is coming from running it right. Not his degree. I'm going to beat my drum again but I will be successfull without a Degree.

Have you ever thought about the more subtle benefits of college courses in literature, botany, art, history, etc. even if you're never going to work in any of those fields?

Thats exactly the part I think is a Waste of time. Having to take a Fetching Art class and know who some art person was 240 years ago to me means Jack crap.

I hope all you guys who are trying to point out exceptions to the benefits of having a degree or further education after grade school aren't advising your kids to drop out of high school and make up for it by working hard.

Sometimes I wonder why you even post Ithica ? No one ever said that ? For so much Education I can see why you lack talking skills :) Come back down buddy, the air is fine on earth.

Experience.

Sure , I went to Highschool, It sucked. Except for the Chicks. I didn't like going to school every day and wanted to do something else so I left (Graduated early) after 9th grade. I went to switzerland, did some Construction, learned german, lived 2 years there and then came to Idaho were my parents lived. I started a 2 year Design Drafting program but the top students in the class had no common sense and jsut pissed me off with their brown-nosing. So I looked into what I wanted to do, left school and went that direction. If you think any one in this Valley will give a Rats ass what paper I have when I sit for an Interview for what I do you're mistaken again.

I know the point you're trying to make, and although a good direction, You can't use me as an Example.

hope all you guys who are trying to point out exceptions to the benefits of having a degree or further education after grade school aren't advising your kids to drop out of high school and make up for it by working hard.

I do not believe that a single parent here will ever discourage a child from becoming more educated. Whether that involves college or specialized training. Hard work is a part of that.
My middle son wants to attend a college we will make that happen somehow.
The youngest is not a book learner but is exceptional when working with his hands and mind together...what do we do with him? Send him to classes where there is a course taught by a assistant professor with 300 students so he would be frustrated or maybe he somewhere where he would get hands on training for something that actually interests him ? Which would serve him better?

Not all of us want to sit on our ass to make a living:D

Good teachers....

I know for a fact there are far better teachers walking the streets doing their jobs teaching those behind them than those sitting in the halls of higher learning

There are a few on the board who fit this mold on the good side and the bad side

While the professors can show you how some thing works on paper, they can’t trouble shoot a real issue, so do the students they have taught

I have yet to see a set of blue prints that could be put to use with out the people on the ground (most of which don't have much education) fixing up the mistakes the so-called individuals of higher learning have set into motion

Good teachers....

I know for a fact there are far better teachers walking the streets doing their jobs teaching those behind them than those sitting in the halls of higher learning

And where is this "fact" that you just pulled out of your butt? You don't know that as a "fact".

Jose, The success of the firm is coming from running it right. Not his degree. I'm going to beat my drum again but I will be successfull without a Degree..

Moosie,
Yes, the success is from running the firm right, but, if you did not have a Licensed engineer (who must have the degree on the wall), you would not have a firm to run correctly. The degree opens the door for you to have the opportunity to run the firm correctly.

Your success is not going to be the result of a lack of edjumacation, your success will come from your ability to use your people skills PLUS your degree of risk you can assume and still sleep at night.

If you had less edjumacation, would you be more successful?

LMAO guner/sybil

Some one found you out in the place you work

http://www.hunttalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30585

What I'm saying in regard to people with out the benifit of higher learning have had to learn more things over a longer period by more people in the same or related trades seem to have a far better and deeper understanding of the topics at hand than those who sit in their esteemed chairs only learning from what others publish

LOL!!!

In earning a degree one thing you might have learned is how to spell "college".

It's always entertaining to watch someone who can't spell denigrate education.

It's that exact Better than you because I can Spell college and have a piece of paper attitude that pisses me off. I never said I'm against education. Matter of fact, I think all my posts state that people should know their profession. I just don't think you need have to have a piece of paper to be successfull. Page 2 and 12 of my will actually state that my trust will pay for skewling. I still don't think that's the best way to learn most professions, but support my kids, I will do.

If someone wants to argue the part that you need to have a degree to be successfull, Bring it beotch's, Otherwise I'm heading to the office to right a "successfull" proposal for my uneducated self to win a bid against someone with a "COLLEGE" edjikation that doesn't have a chance :rolleyes:

Having to take a Fetching Art class and know who some art person was 240 years ago to me means Jack crap.

See, that's where you might be surprised. I didn't have much interest in art until I discovered Maxfield Parrish. Then I started learning everything about him I could and turned it into a very lucrative part time hobby buying and selling his prints, and even a couple originals. There were some prints I paid $5 or $10 for and sold for $500+. Bought one original sketch for $2000 and sold it for $15,000 five years later.

When my home mortgage got down to about $40,000 I sold about 60 prints I had paid less than $5000 total for and retired the mortgage.

The surprising thing to me was that I never had any interest in art and only took the course because it was supposed to be a gut and I couldn't get into a couple other classes I'd rather have taken. Then I found an artist I never had heard of and thought his art was really interesting, started picking up his antique prints at yard sales and antique shops to hang on my walls and eventually realized I could make some $ selling them. As I traveled all over the country in my job I'd visit shops and galleries and find his prints to add to my collection, all the while upgrading, trading and selling. I eventually accumulated one of the best collections in the West, then decided I was overdosed on looking at it and sold most of it. I still get called by antique dealers and collectors to help them appraise Parrish prints.

The point is; I might never have found out about Parrish if I hadn't taken the course and I probably never would have turned that knowledge into a very enjoyable pastime and part time career.

Here's some art by Parrish, America's foremost landscape artist. Take a look! You've probably seen some of it somewhere:

http://images.google.com/images?q=maxfield+parrish&hl=en&um=1&sa=X&oi=images&ct=title

What I'm saying in regard to people with out the benifit of higher learning have had to learn more things over a longer period by more people in the same or related trades seem to have a far better and deeper understanding of the topics at hand than those who sit in their esteemed chairs only learning from what others publish

Translator, anyone??????

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowglimadness
Back