What's a Decent Spotter?

Steiny

I'd like to have a better spotting scope. All I have now is a cheapo Bushnell and would like to step up to something mid to upper grade.
I've got a Leica range finder and Swarovski binos so am familiar with the good stuff, just don't want to spend top end money for a spotter. Primary use will be watching critters out the back door at 1/2 mile or less, and checking targets at the rifle range. Also need a quality, full height, stand up tripod for it.

Recommendations?

May be more than your looking for $ wise and quality but I have the Kowa TSN 664 XD. 20 x 60. Around $1500 but absolutely love this scope and always have. I was looking for something top end quality and I found it in this scope and a bit cheaper than the other top end brands too.

What's your price point? Vortex Razors are a great value and you can find them on a sale once in awhile.

I have a Theron Saker for a very similar purpose and think it does great for the money. I'm looking to upgrade so I might be willing to let mine go pretty inexpensively.

I've heard great things about Maven but haven't actually seen one...I think Schaff has one.

Another option is to buy a Zen-Ray...I believe it is the same scope as the Vortex Razor HD but I've read the Vangard Endeavor may have a slight edge on quality

Last edited:
I have the vortex viper and it works great. not sure of your price range but if you look around on different websites might get a deal on one. That's what I did. Good luck on your search!

Another plug for the Theron Saker. I like mine quite a bit. I have it paired with a Sinno tripod and am very satisfied. Both courtesy of our buddy Schmaltz. He is probably one of the best on here to provide some expertise.

Vortex Diamondback Scope is more than serviceable for the price point. I have one without any complaints.

What's your budget? Vortex optics are a great value if you are looking for a new one. Their razor line has excellent glass and the warranty is supposedly top notch. I have a Leica televid 77 for sale since I just upgraded to the swaro stx 95. I haven't posted it here as I just signed up. I'll pm you the info in case you're interested.

Minox 62ed with the LER eyepiece. It's done well in the worst of conditions. I've banged it around sheep and goat hunting and it keeps on ticking.

That said, there is no substitute for alpha glass.

Last edited:
I'm going to say $750 & under for scope, case & tripod.

If you will only be using it at the range and the back 40 that should be fine. If you plan on hunting and spending a lot of time looking through it, I am sure you know, there is a BIG step up from a $500 spotting scope to say a $1200-$1600 scope.

I have a Theron Saker for a very similar purpose and think it does great for the money. I'm looking to upgrade so I might be willing to let mine go pretty inexpensively.

I've heard great things about Maven but haven't actually seen one...I think Schaff has one.

Another option is to buy a Zen-Ray...I believe it is the same scope as the Vortex Razor HD but I've read the Vangard Endeavor may have a slight edge on quality

Before anyone gets any silly ideas...I called dibs on Grant's Theron :cool:

I'll likely be selling my spotter in the near future...as listed above. It's used and abused, but 100% functional. Details to come.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back