Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Yet another spotter question

pilsner

As a vet I get a pretty great discount on Leupold and Vortex optics so please keep the replies to those 2 brands.

Have my first real backpacking elk hunt this Sept in Colorado this year. Got binos, tripod, bino harness dialed in already.
Looking for the lightest spotting scope I can find that will also double as my rifle range spotter (range in the front pasture goes to nearly 800 yards).
Have a Leupold GR 15-30x in my shopping cart but want other suggestions before I pull the trigger. Any good options that I'm overlooking?
Thanks.

With todays rifle scopes I have a hard time justifying carrying one more piece of equipment like something as small as a 50MM spotter when I have a rifle I can put a 56MM scope on to combine weight and will pick apart a set of antlers as good as a 50mm spotter. If it was me I would stick to a 65mm spotter, or put a big azz scope on my rifle. Archery or muzz, that is different since you do not have a big scope. A decade ago a 50mm spotter made more sense to me, and I have a couple and they have not been used in a.... decade

That Leupold 15-30x50 is probably one of the most underwhelming pieces of glass I've ever used. I had one for a few years and finally just sold it. The only good thing I had to say about it was that it was light. Of the 2 brands mentioned if you truly want compact I'd go with the 50mm Razor. If it were me and I was limiting myself to those 2 brands and wanted something for packing as well as range use and presumably use from the truck I'd pick the 60mm gold ring every time. The additional weight is minimal and the increase in performance isn't.

I use the vortex Razor 11-33×50 on a weekly basis and love it. That being said, you can often find them used for the same price as on expertvoice. Since you aren't supposed to resell Vortex products bought with the veteran discount it also provides a little more flexibility if you decide to go a different direction.

Found out that Maven also has a discount for vets/guides. Since I'm both I went with a Maven 15-45x 60mm
Now I'm waiting on the Brown Truck Santa to deliver it.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back