EOY ‘23 - What Worked, What Didn’t?

Worked:

Wiser Precision Quik-Stiks, I’ve have them on my trekking poles for a couple years now and they work great to turn your poles into shooting sticks quickly.

3L Platypus Big Zip water bladder, I drink a lot of water and this has held up well and is easier to clean/ get into a pack than other bladders I’ve used before this.

180gr Trophy Bonded tip from a Savage 16 in 308. The groups from my rifle are great and terminal performance has been great on everything they have hit for me.

Sitka Kelvin Aerolite jacket, great packable jacket for a little extra warmth. I stumbled my way through a bunch of very thick newer growth trees one day this year expecting at least some small holes or rips but it came out unscathed.

Need to upgrade:

I have an old Bushnell Scout 1000 rangefinder and its reliability past 250-350 yards or so is spotty. I’ll probably upgrade to an Sig Kilo 2200 or better for next year.

What worked for 2023: Western Mountaineering Antelope.

Just wish I would have done it sooner.
I've been using the same WM 40 degree bag since 2001, it absolutely killed me to spend that much money in high school but for some things you get what you pay for...
I could put this in the "what worked" category for upwards of 30 nights a year for 22 years now...

Worked:
  • Kudu Broadheads, but wasn’t a fan of the blood trail, going to try the Evolution Outdoors Hyde next year.
  • Warbonnet Outdoors Diamondback 10-degree quilt. Thing is very warm, in fact I just picked up a Snugpak Jungle Blanket that I’m going to use instead for early archery.
  • Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400, very comfortable to hike in and 400 is a good insulation for cold weather for my hot feat.
  • Floorless shelter camping, it was hot enough at night that I couldn’t sleep in my quilt or bivy, so ended up with some bug bites and crawlies in the middle of the night, but overall, really liked that style and just ordered a tarp to sleep under next year.
Didn’t Work:
  • SEVR broadheads, don’t buy them.
  • Lowa Renegade boots, blew out on me at a seam. Don’t have that many days on them.
  • Montana’s mule deer management over the last 20 years.

Worked-
Benchmade saddle mountain s90 steel, cleaned 4 elk and 6 deer with only very minor sharpening.
New favorite sock, smartwool performance full cushion crew. This sock is best of the best for my feet and what i wear 80%+ (extreme heat/cold diff sock). I have become a sock snob!
Wool hoodies, kuiu pro merino 200 worked ideal for what i wanted.
50oz camelbak nalgene bottles, standard size wasnt enough and 1 liquid IV is just enough flavor.

Didnt work-
Hanwag alaska, boots are exceptionally well made but gives my feet problems on longer hikes and in their 2nd season done with them.
Driving over a cattle guard with a piece of steel sticking up definitely didnt work (both times).
Done with change blade knifes (gerber vital)
Going to add a fullzip hoodless fleece as a carry extra outer layer.

Last edited:
Worked:

Sunwayfoto SM-76 Saddle Mount. I have been drooling over the RRS VYCE mount but I just could not justify the $380. So, I gave Amazon $60 for the Sunwayfoto. It worked great for my daughter on my nearly 30 year old CF Gitzo tripod.

View attachment 305187

I love that the stuffed animal is along for the ride. Having two little girls of my own, I can definitely see this being me in a few years.

Worked:
  • Kudu Broadheads, but wasn’t a fan of the blood trail, going to try the Evolution Outdoors Hyde next year.
  • Warbonnet Outdoors Diamondback 10-degree quilt. Thing is very warm, in fact I just picked up a Snugpak Jungle Blanket that I’m going to use instead for early archery.
  • Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400, very comfortable to hike in and 400 is a good insulation for cold weather for my hot feat.
  • Floorless shelter camping, it was hot enough at night that I couldn’t sleep in my quilt or bivy, so ended up with some bug bites and crawlies in the middle of the night, but overall, really liked that style and just ordered a tarp to sleep under next year.
Didn’t Work:
  • SEVR broadheads, don’t buy them.
  • Lowa Renegade boots, blew out on me at a seam. Don’t have that many days on them.
  • Montana’s mule deer management over the last 20 years.
What was your issue with Sevrs?

I’ve killed over a half dozen critters with em and really like em.

Still have a month left of deer season here in TN, but so far...

Worked:
1. First season with Schnee's Beartooths uninsulated. So far so good, but getting some Superfeet insoles soon.
2. Fjallraven Vidda Pro Ventilated pants. Tough, breathable, weather-resistant, adjustable cuffs. Awesome! ( And thankfully I found them on sale at REI)
3. Still love my Kowa 774 and Sirui tripod with VA-5 head.
4. First season shooting Barnes 150gr TTSX in my 7mm RM. Excellent and easy accuracy, worked as suggested so far.

Not So Much:
1. Mountain Tactical Tikka bottom metal. Would not release or seat mag properly even with lots of adjustment.
2. Not enough days off work!

Worked: Dexcom G7. Allowed me to effectively walk around the mountains looking for elk for the first time in a handful of years. Eased into things this fall but it built my confidence as the season went on and got me excited for next year. Really helped me understand how my body reacts and improve my snacking routine.

Worked: Dexcom G7. Allowed me to effectively walk around the mountains looking for elk for the first time in a handful of years. Eased into things this fall but it built my confidence as the season went on and got me excited for next year. Really helped me understand how my body reacts and improve my snacking routine.
Good to know. I will relay that to my friends brother who comes along with us sometimes.

What was your issue with Sevrs?

I’ve killed over a half dozen critters with em and really like em.
Blades are very weak and dull badly on impact, the blades often don’t swivel back open after a hard impact so instead of 1.5 or 2.0 inch cut you get .75 to 1 inch cut, penetration on larger animals sucks, not one bit forgiving on marginal shots, tip and blades have bent on every animal I’ve shot with them, rattle bad in the quiver, just my experience and opinions though don’t grill me for it I know everyone has different thoughts on them and I’ve tried really really hard to like them and use them they’ve just cost me a few pope and young critters now that would have been recovered with a better broadhead.. I know I know make/take better shots etc… animals move..

Blades are very weak and dull badly on impact, the blades often don’t swivel back open after a hard impact so instead of 1.5 or 2.0 inch cut you get .75 to 1 inch cut, penetration on larger animals sucks, not one bit forgiving on marginal shots, tip and blades have bent on every animal I’ve shot with them, rattle bad in the quiver, just my experience and opinions though don’t grill me for it I know everyone has different thoughts on them and I’ve tried really really hard to like them and use them they’ve just cost me a few pope and young critters now that would have been recovered with a better broadhead.. I know I know make/take better shots etc… animals move..
Interesting. Not been my experience. But thanks for sharing.

Good on ya.

Me? I'm waiting on sublingual epinephrine or an easy epi for clothes..

rHbK8L.gif

Oral epinephrine is freakin genius!
Once in four years have I used it on/for my boy. Like riding a bike, popping open a box of cereal, insert muscle memory move.

Using it on myself, ever since my rabies vaccine deal about 8-10 years ago (note-12-13 shots at once), I can not, will not, not on a train not in a house not with a fox not with a mouse do it. I have an irrational fear after that.

I bargain in my head that death may infact be comfortable...and the thought of clothes messing that up for me to do a second one, or to need the second..

...."they might have grandpa and grandma's davenport down there...i could get used to the plastic i think...."...

Make epipens a listerene strip, I'm down for living suddenly

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back