Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Spotter Talk

I purchased a Spot Shot attachment to use on my spotting scope and I am liking it a lot. Here are some pictures I took with it attached to my Leupold 15-30x50mm Gold Ring compact.

Bison at 350 yards roughly.
Bison bull  350 yards.jpg

Cow & calf about 150 yards
bison cow - calf.jpg

Top of the ridge from my house at 1.1 miles according to On X Maps.
1.1 miles .jpg

I have done this and that's probably the main reason I haven't bought a spotter yet. I even considered just getting some 15x binos, but I think I'd have more use for the spotter than the 15s with the way I hunt. I figure even with a spotter, I'd be behind binos the majority of the time.
I use my 15s all the time to glass. My spotter comes out to look at individual animals. 90/10 type ratio.

You are already spoiled with your MeoStar binos, no use rocking the boat, and not getting a Meopta Spotter. I have the MeoPro and couldn't be happier. It is full-sized and I'm not sure I would want to be going up and down mountains with it, but maybe if I had it I wouldn't be doing so much hiking?

I just bought a Kowa tsn 553, 15-45x55. Arrived Friday and I've been looking at everything near and far with it. Looks damn good for a compact model, but I won't be able to give an actual field report till after this Fall's seasons.

I bought the Athlon Ares 15-45x65 and am pretty impressed thus far. Schmalts has a great price on them.

The Krotos is not a bad set of glass depending on what your budget currently is, it is the athlon ares scope set in a cabelas printed package. I have one and am willing to run it rough compared to my swaro that stays near the truck.

I have the Leupold Gold Ring 15-30x50mm spotting scope and I really like it a lot. You say you like to hike. This one a really nice size to carry in a daypack.
This one looks really nice. I tested a vortex viper15-45x65 during a cow elk hunt in WY last year. I returned it after the hunt because it was too heavy and bulky for me. Do you know if leupold does price control or can you find better deals than MSRP?

This one looks really nice. I tested a vortex viper15-45x65 during a cow elk hunt in WY last year. I returned it after the hunt because it was too heavy and bulky for me. Do you know if leupold does price control or can you find better deals than MSRP?
I do not know about that. I believe I paid about $400.00 for mine or just a bit more. I did not get the whole set-up with the hard case, soft case, and tripod. I sure like it.

I have a 85mm Swaro but kind of wish now I'd spent the money on getting my eyes fixed. I can glass an elk a mile away now but can't see one at 100 yards.

Jokes aside, I did just that. Was kind of scared at first because after the procedure my eyes were a mess. Now, six months later, they are coming along really well. As part of the deal I got, there will be a lazik touch up done to help my lenses completely adjust. I'm thinking my eyesight, which is 20/20 now, should be crazy good after the lazik adjustment.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back