Spotter Talk

Rev. J

Someone talk to me about spotting scopes.

I currently run Meopta MeoStar binos. Right now, I don’t have the funds to buy a top end spotter, but I’m getting anxious. I’m getting tired of chasing elk/deer/antelope with only my 10X42s. I’ve been successful without a spotter, but I’ve also been in a few situations where I really wished I had one.

I’m pretty sure I’d like something in the 65mm range because I do my share of hiking. Do I wait until I can afford Swaro-class glass? I’m also considering Leupold GR or the new SX4. I have access to a great deal on a Cabelas Krotos, but I’m hesitant. It’s hard because I don’t have access to test a lot of these either.

So help me out HT. What’s a guy to do in my situation? Hold out for top-tier, or snatch up a mid/lower tier spotter? Thanks all

I have the Leupold Gold Ring 15-30x50mm spotting scope and I really like it a lot. You say you like to hike. This one a really nice size to carry in a daypack.

I'd rather have a well used high end spotter than a brand new mid-grade spotter, no question. Some good values in 60-65mm spotters IMO, that you can find for under $1000: Nikon ED Fieldscope, 62mm Leica APO Televid, Non-HD Swaro (might be little over $1000). The 50mm Nikon ED is OK too, sub $500 used on forums, and it weighs nothing. I'm sure the gold rings are fine too, only looked through one briefly last year.

I owned a couple lower and mid spotters before Swaro. I’d buy what you can until you can afford a high end scope. Your glassing will be effected without a spotter.

For a smaller spotter I used a 12-40x60 Gold Ring for a long time and I liked it a lot. My dad has it now and serves him well. I wanted a little more horsepower so I’ll be looking through a Swarovski this fall.

For me, I can't hardly tell the difference between $2k scope and a $700 one optically except in the last 15 minutes of light, long after I would ever shoot anything. Even then, it's not like I can see in one and not in the other, it's that I can actually decipher a difference. I could still spots critters with either one. Now if you live behind glass or maybe have better eyes then maybe save for a higher end. Either way, I would shop used, ebay, rokslide, and occasionally here.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll keep my eyes open for deals. Let me know if any of you want to part with your spotter ;)
Does anyone know how the SX4 fits into the Leupold line? How does it compare to the GR series? I just haven't heard much about them.

Talk to @schmalts he'll set you up

I've bought through Pat before, and I welcome his optical knowledge. Good guy, great company/prices.

I used to have a 12-40 golden ring. The 15-33 is kind of pathetic compared to the 12-40 imo. You can find them used for around 700. That being said, I eventually wanted more and went to the meopta s2 spotter and couldn’t be happier. But it’s not lightweight. Still happy to pack it when the hunt calls for it.

I dont have one so take with a grain of salt but I've had my eye on the athlon ares 15-45 ×65mm . Great reviews, seems to be quality bang for your buck mid level spotter. Just throwing the suggestion out.

Have you tried using your binos on a tripod yet, I like them so much I have considered leaving my spotter at home.

Have you tried using your binos on a tripod yet, I like them so much I have considered leaving my spotter at home.
I have done this and that's probably the main reason I haven't bought a spotter yet. I even considered just getting some 15x binos, but I think I'd have more use for the spotter than the 15s with the way I hunt. I figure even with a spotter, I'd be behind binos the majority of the time.

I used to have a 12-40 golden ring. The 15-33 is kind of pathetic compared to the 12-40 imo. You can find them used for around 700. That being said, I eventually wanted more and went to the meopta s2 spotter and couldn’t be happier. But it’s not lightweight. Still happy to pack it when the hunt calls for it.
The 12-40 is the one I was considering.(y) I love my meopta binos and I briefly looked at their scope. It looks like a biggun:oops:

The 12-40 is the one I was considering.(y) I love my meopta binos and I briefly looked at their scope. It looks like a biggun:oops:
It is big. Meopta makes a compact spotter but it does not sell well because it is not considered to be waterproof.

I actually owned a Swarovski spotter for a couple years. After running it side by side with a leupold 12-40 gold ring for a season I sold the Swarovski. I love the eye relied on the gold ring

Back