What Ya Changing Up This Year

My wife will be bowhunting for her first time. And we will spend more time at the Wallow and the Secret Meadow. Also taking a Mainer on his first bowhunt for elk!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 613
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 609
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 621
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 615
Going to give Montana a try for the first time. Early November rifle. Buddy seems to think he needs to finish corn harvest before we go. :rolleyes:

Kifaru Mountain Warrior replacing a Badlands pack and ditching the GoLite Shangri La 2 for a Half Moon Designs Gatewood Cape (shelter/poncho in 1). That move let me cross a threshold I've flirted w/ for years. 40 pounds for a 7 day mobile bivy equipment list - includes weapon, boots, pack, 1 day water, 7 day food, everything. Hope to come out HEAVY again in '16!!!

Son and I will be two instead of our usual four. SIL is slammed with young kids and work since season before last, hopefully he can go with us next year. Our other long-timer has health issues and didn't apply. I'm looking fwd to the time with Ken Jr. but am reminded to heed to Fin's money/time signature...

I bit the bullet and bought a new bow. Mathews Halon. Expensive but man is it a big change from my ten year old Switchback.

Also, I'm hunting out west for the first time this year. I can't wait.

I'm not going to change much. My schedule has dicatated that I won't get to archery hunt much outside of the weekends so I'm planning to rifle hunt more than before.

Hunting my first draw unit for archery. Hoping to get that first bull on the ground this year.

New bow.
Basically repeat spot but planning on spiking out several nights to save daily 'dark miles' of walking this year.

I'll be hunting deer for the first time. I've never even applied for a deer tag before this year. I'll also be taking my kids (6 & 3) along on their first antelope hunt.

Going to make it a point to do more upland/small game hunting. Have a dog that turns 1 in Oct that needs work...

This will be my first year with a bull tag....always cow before. Also hunting same unit, but new area we've never been to.

This year Im not going. I'd love to even if it was just calling for someone else. But my group didnt get the bow tags, rather last rifle in New Mexico. Buying a house I was worried about my finances. Was looking into Idaho But don't want to drive 30 hours by myself. So I'm SOL. Sucks. I guess I'll enjoy the just finished house with the bull on the wall envious of everyone sweatin their ass off and having fun doing it.

I've got a B whitetail tag, so I plan to pot a freezer doe and hold out for a mature buck. And I will NOT accidentally shoot a spike this time and have to burn my A tag. Nope. Not gonna do it. I have learned that lesson...

2 new states / species for me.

Also first time hunting fall bears. Maybe I'll actually kill one.

My dad and I are headed to Colorado for muzzy bulls on our own. Our two prior trips were with a couple guys who'd hunted the state several times before. This time it's just us.

I have had a couple of friends pestering me for a number of years to go to Canada on a whitetail hunt with them, so finally this is the year. And maybe a cow elk hunt in Nevada, depending on what my scouting trip yields next week. Anybody have the lowdown on Late rifle cow in 231?

I'm going to stop feeling sorry for myself and telling myself I can't physically do it and suck it up for a sweet archery mule deer tag with an overlapping bear tag, plus 2 elk tags and 2 antelope tags and a second tag for a whitetail. I'm sick of being broken and feeling like a pu$$y, so I'll take my time and go slower and haul lighter loads and get it done. I've done it near the truck (within a mile or so), so now it's time to get in further in rougher terrain. If I don't do it, Haji might as well have killed me in Iraq, so I can do this.

Last edited:
The only thing I'm changing is the target species. I am trying for a mule deer (and elk) this year, which I am super excited about. Same general location, same bow, same long trip to get WY. If I have half as much fun this year I'll be happy.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back