PEAX Equipment

What Ya Changing Up This Year

New sleeping mat since my BA went flat, again. No more BA sleeping mats ever.

New is the klymit static v luxe(i think). Insulated and extra large but rolls up small. Have 8 nights on it so far - comfort is great and it has already lasted three times longer then the BA's. If this thing holds air all year it is a definite winner compared to the other mats I have used.

New water filtration. Tired of pumping the katadyn at night so trying the life straw system. Not used it yet.

New sleeping bag. Used a light weight down bag for years. Froze my butt off and dealing with moisture pushed me to try the new MTN hardware lamina z. Synthetic bag that is very compressible. Wide enough to allow me to sleep on my stomach and roll over. Really like the fit vs the minimalist coffin bag I have been locked into. Have 2 nights in it and such a better nights sleep.

New outer shell jacket. I like giving the new guys a try. Ordered a skre hardscrabble jacket. Impressed with this jacket. It is light but seems about perfect for layering in MT. Pit zips, athletic cut and great zippers. This will be in my pack year round and used heavily.

Sitka timberline pants. Been layering up under assent pants but needed more weather resistance.
Killed this years spring bear the first time I wore these so they are now my "lucky" pants :)
Very happy with the timberlines.

Season is getting close - good luck to all!

I plan on applying what i have learned from Randy and this site to find more bulls and bring one home for the freezer.

Not everybody has it dialed in MTMuley ;)

I'm traditionally a bow hunter and this year we had plans during the UT general archery season so I changed it up and applied for a general rifle tag. I haven't shot a deer with a gun for over ten years but I'm excited to get after it because I have a tag in my pocket!! I shot a smaller buck with my limited entry tag as well last year, not disappointed.. Just ready to hold out for a better one this year. I'm not super picky when it comes to mule deer.

Adding a new spot that I found during the archery season last year. It's not far from my other spots so it will be good to give it a try. Should be a good spot to sit on after work and it's fairly easy to get to. Other than that, I plan on filling my freezer with an Elk this year instead of a Moose.

Hunting early cow season in northern Bighorns with a new friend tagging along to help pack if we get lucky and shoot a cow elk.

I'm going to stop feeling sorry for myself and telling myself I can't physically do it and suck it up for a sweet archery mule deer tag with an overlapping bear tag, plus 2 elk tags and 2 antelope tags and a second tag for a whitetail. I'm sick of being broken and feeling like a pu$$y, so I'll take my time and go slower and haul lighter loads and get it done. I've done it near the truck (within a mile or so), so now it's time to get in further in rougher terrain. If I don't do it, Haji might as well have killed me in Iraq, so I can do this.

Damn right you can! Good luck buddy

Wyoming antelope for the first time.

Also plan on spending a lot more time behind the glass than I normally do.

Updated my old Dana Design pack with two Kifaru med side pockets(now have room for meat in the pack), a ov innovations lumbar pad(comfort for the heavy pack out) and a kuiu quick release bow holder(I tried to deal with one I rigged myself, bad idea). Total was about $100.

New unit.

Went to an Exo pack and sold the Kifaru frame.

Different GPS.

And new truck that my wife is still pissed about.

One thing I am changing up this year is I am going to finally go elk hunting and I am going to hunt with a rifle for both elk and antelope. My dad bought me a .270 when I was younger and we are finally going to go on a hunt to use it. I have killed a couple coyotes with it and some hogs but that's the only big game I have ever killed with a rifle. All my big game has been harvested with shotgun, muzzleloader, and mostly archery. Needless to say I have shot my rifle more this summer than ever before in my life.

Birds and bunnies for me. One year old chessie retriever that needs my company.

New rig for bunnies: Marlin 35 Rem shooting 125gr Ranier Plated pistol bullets over Trail Boss. Williams receiver sight.

Last edited:
1. New rifle coming for this year! Haven't bought a rifle in 16 years.

2. Taking my dad and my brother out for antelope. Brother has never hunted big game, and my dad has tagged along with me twice, but never had a tag of his own to hunt on.

Gonna kill me a big bull in Wyoming this year. Was there in 2012 with my buddy in the same unit and he killed a 340 bull. Hopefully it will be just as good this year.

I have set a goal to get a nice Indiana public land buck--hopefully with a bow--but if I can't get it done by December, I will be out and about on public ground with my muzzle loader. I have had no luck yet on public ground, but have moved within a 15 minute drive of a state forest. I never felt that confident before about where I was, but now I'm using the onXhunt app for Indiana, and can hunt some less pressured areas without worrying about trespassing. I have found some abandoned logging roads, closed to vehicles, and have been mountain biking in to scout areas farther away from roads than before.

I'm introducing a newbie to western mountain hunting in a big way with a elk hunt in NW Wyoming griz country. I drew a great bull tag and he picked up a cow tag. He's been a great student and has really geared up and got ready. We will hunt the archery rut and pick up a rifle in October if we don't score with our bows. Ive gathered some good info & we should do fine.

I also went to floorless shelters with a Seek Outside setup and got a new Long Range Rifle setup complete with a Gunwerks G7 rangefinder. I upgraded my arrows & broadheads and sold all my old backpacks and got a new EXO 3500.

Lotsa changes for me this year.
I hear lots of good things about Exo packs! Got a friend that loves them. I really want to do one of these wilderness hunts in NW WYfor elk but I'm a NR and I've never hunted Grizz country either. but I sure do want to see that country and hunt it. I love the remoteness of it.Hope yall have a great hunt!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back