Caribou Gear

What would you be thinking?

I would be thinking that the work is about to begin....What's the easiest way back to the pickup?

This small portion on the bull's antler presented a surprise to us. The previous picture shows the G-4,G-5,G-6,G-7 and tip end of a 54" long mainbeam. We knew that this bull had a huge frame but we didn't see all the extra inline points until after he was down. My son-in-law, Steve, who had the tag and shot this bull, remembers me telling him on the phone that this bull I was looking at last Wednesday evening, might be the largest bull I've ever seen on the hoof. The next picture shows my setup and the valley I was looking across. The quartering away picture that I got thru my scope at 45-power, into the setting sun, is the clearest picture I got of him.
IMG_0590v.jpg

006-001.JPG

On opening morning Steve headed up the ridge we agreed might give him a chance to se the big bull and his raghorn buddy out in the open at day break. Turned out that the two had migrated quite a ways to the north and up higher on the mountain from where they had originally been spotted. Steve headed down into the creek bottom and up the other side where he was able to close the distance without risking being spotted. However, he was looking at a long poke across a basin when he would finally get to the planned point to shoot from. About that time an amazing stroke of luck occurred when a third bull crossed the basin between Steve and the other bulls. This guy was on a mission or moving country to get away from some other hunters. He headed up the back side of the ridge Steve was working his way out and crossed just to the north of Steve. Well, the big guy didn't just stand up to watch this other bull, he started in the direction of the spot where the bull crossed over the ridge not far from Steve. Steve staying behind the crest of the ridge worked closer to where the other bull passed. Then he saw antler tips heading up the hill almost straight at him. With shell in the barrel and safety off, Steve could see his whole head then his neck and finally his entire chest. With one shot at about 50-yards, from his 30'06 the bull slumped. Mortally wounded, disappeared over a rise. Steve waited a bit and then moved over the rise and found his trophy down the open slope a ways and down in the stand of young trees in the first picture.
IMG_3854.jpg

IMG_3858.jpg

IMG_3860.jpg

What would I be thinking? "Hope the editor can bleep out some of this excitement, 'cause things are gonna get colorful if that bull is as big as he looks at first glance."

You have probably noticed this big guy has a bunch of points on each side. His right antler has 8 inline points. The left antler has a non typical arrangement in the vicinity of his third tine (G-3). He has what could be called a small G-3 up close to his forth tine but he also has a broken stump of what looks like might have been a larger G-3 lower on the mainbeam near his second tine. This stump was clearly broken off fighting or when thrashing the forest in preparation of the rut. Anyway, counting the 1 1/2" broken stump, he has 9 inline points on his left side. He had definitely been fighting with numerous scars on his body and a nasty looking wound above his eye which was oozing puss. I find it interesting that there must be other large bulls in the area to create enough competition among them for a bull of this size and age to have to fight to keep his harem.
IMG_3857.jpg

My son, Tyler and I used our horses equipped with saddle panniers so that we could ride them in
to the kill sight, put the Panniers on and load up the meat. Then lead them off the mountain and back to the truck.
013.JPG
IMG_3863.jpg

Last edited:
Good grief Mike, what a handsome bull. I need a friend like you to scout them out like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back