What will accelerate the death of hunting faster?...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may want to look in the mirror , just sayin ! You seem to have a lot of harsh opinions but you don’t like anyone else’s unless your in agreement. Be careful I watched two sites die because a few ripped all the new guys and regular users as well. All forums survive on civil discussion ! Don’t discourage new members .

This forum has been around since 2000. I've owned it since 2009. It continues to have the traffic it has because all opinions are welcome. The delivery of opinions or the manner in which one expresses a different opinion is what gets folks shown the door.

Tags, labels, dividing everything along party lines, failure to communicate in a sane manner, all get you warned. Multiple warnings get one shown the door. Bigotry, racism, sexism, and a few other things get the hook without warning.

Your expressions in the NRA thread about how you understand other opinions and are presenting an opinion different than the many western hunters on this forum was an example of how to be a contrarian and do it with tact. I appreciate how you explained the experiences that brought you to the perspective you expressed. Not everyone will agree with any persons perspective, but there is a way to do it and a way not to do it.

Telling others to look in the mirror, as you have here, is not helpful to the tone or style of a discussion. Provide your perspectives, but when you tell someone else to look in the mirror it is no longer about your perspective, rather it is your critique of someone else's perspective that was arrived at based on their unique life experiences.

We don't all have to agree. Hell, if we all start to agree, I think the forum has lost any usefulness and we should probably shut it down and save the money/time it costs to host and operate. We can benefit from trying to understand what life experiences have brought other people to perspectives that are different from our own. For me, I can say that reading the discussion on Hunt Talk have been very beneficial in helping me bend my mind in ways I otherwise would not have.

As imperfect as it is, this forum gets moderated by me and Mrs. Fin. We have a desired tone, civility, and direction we want the forum to have. Some don't like that. Some can't follow the rules. 99% are great and add a lot of content that causes me to think about things from a different angle. I'm not inclined to let the 1%< ruin the forum discussions that the 99% find helpful.

If folks come here to achieve their daily goal of "I'm not happy 'til you're not happy," they won't last long. That's what Facebook is for.

I thought this might have been a topic - discussion on lost places to hunt or other issues affecting hunter retention, recruitment or possibly some other interesting issues.
Not really any of that for sure.

Normally we would go out to eat after church on a Sunday, but we are on quarantine so I'm making a deer roast and some roasted potatoes and sauteed spinach. Speaking of which, I better go get everything ready. I'll post some pics up later.
As promised, pics. Switched from spinach to peas. Roast was a little overdone (I had the temp on the thermometer set wrong). Still plenty good.

Attachments

• 20210117_115456.jpg
    20210117_115456.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Point of view on"high fence" hunts.
My youngest has a friend who helps run one of those (ahem!) high fence "ranches" in central Texas.
There are deer who are born, live and die a natural life and NEVER leave ranch property.
These ranches are measured in "sections" (640 acres), not merely "acres".
Kid visited last fall when a hunter came in with a very nice buck he shot.
The whole ranch crew was "ooohing" and "aaaahing", hand shaking, back slapping, gutting, skinning, caping and processing.
The hunter(?) only grabbed antlers and smiled for photos.

That's when the kid's friend explained that the "hunt" cost the guy $5k. The deer he took cost another $12k (trophy fee + inches of antler).
Since he was (ahem!) under budget, he was considering another buck he had seen that would run him in the neighborhood of an additional $10k!
Talking with the ranch manager, rich guy says, "I want to reserve a spot next season and 2 spots for my kids." ($15k + trophy fees?)

Those people have more money than sense! They want a huge head hanging in their corporate office they can honestly say "they" shot. If their client is offended, they can also honestly say, "I bought it."
They also hunt "high fence" for the success rate, the exclusivity and the privacy.
They "work" 355 days a year.
To insure success, they "buy" success, because there is no time for small bucks or not killing anything.
Success is a must, worth the price and takes very little of their "valuable" time.
Most of them are very well known.
Sen. T. Cruz (R-TX) also hunts a huge private ranch.
Can you imagine the crowd following him around on public land? ...or even on a small, private property? LOL!

I haven't lived there for over 40 years, though, just did college and grad school there, so maybe there are more opportunities than I know about. My impression then was that if you wanted to hunt in Texas and didn't have the luxury of a passed-down deer lease from your great grandfather, you had to pay to hunt on someone's ranch. Seemed like there was very little public land that was huntable.

This thread will not reach its pinnacle until a picture of a hunting hat, cheese and a hunting dog is produced.
Everything else is, “Repetition of the mundane with subtle notes of mediocrity in the aftertaste.”

This thread will not reach its pinnacle until a picture of a hunting hat, cheese and a hunting dog is produced.
Everything else is, “Repetition of the mundane with subtle notes of mediocrity in the aftertaste.”

Hey I posted a pic of a hunting hat complete with a hole. Partial credit?

“The death of hunting will be accelerated by complainers and turds.”

-Hodor The Pug, 2021

C86E9C57-B389-4902-B0E1-3EB687FA6A3A.jpeg
* “Hunting dog” may or may not be a loose term.

You may want to look in the mirror , just sayin ! You seem to have a lot of harsh opinions but you don’t like anyone else’s unless your in agreement. Be careful I watched two sites die because a few ripped all the new guys and regular users as well. All forums survive on civil discussion ! Don’t discourage new members .
If you had been around longer than two weeks, you would understand my post. Since you haven’t, keep your assumptions and judgements about me to yourself. You’ve made plenty of both lately.

I love how this thread turned dumpster fire was posted in the section-fireside(a place for friends) lol. Maybe it just got off the rails a bit but I think a new section perhaps festivus(airing of grievances) would be better.
65CEE8A6-31B9-4E1F-8EF7-E21F472D4C2A.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back