Caribou Gear

What to cook first?

What should the first thing cooked on the new Traeger be?

• 16 oz ribeye

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • BBQ Ribs

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • Whole chicken

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Venison backstrap

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Homemade pizza

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • $.99 hotdogs

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Leave it in the box and don’t use

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Something else…mention it in the comments

Votes: 3 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
@Gellar howtobbqright on YouTube will become your new friend. Anything that guy makes is amazing. Also check out pit boss charcoal pellets. Sometimes I want to search with mine and dont necessarily want the wood smoked flavor. They are perfect for that taste just like charcoal grill, they sell em at walmart.

A brisket is a pretty high $$ hunk of meat for the first cook on a traeger. That would be a terrible thing to ruin. :cry:
Brisket used to be the bottom of the "preferred cuts" list.
I can remember when a brisket was 10 cents a pound and nobody wanted them.
John would buy them, bring them home and run them through his grinder.
Decent gound beef was 49 cents a pound!
Last brisket I bought I had to put on lay-away! ☹!
Almost $50!
...and to find one that doesn't have a massive "fat cap" is almost an exercise in futility. 😠!
Do you know how to pick a decent brisket?

For the best flavors and meat that soaks up spices and stays flavorful and moist, you can't beat pork!
But a lot of folks just won't touch pork.

I'm going to get pulverized here but anyone else not that big of a fan of brisket? It's good but I dont crave it. Smoker is for pork and poultry, Beef is for the grill imo. Go easy on me.
I like a good brisket, but I find other cuts of meat more appealing, more from a dollar aspect than just the cut of meat.
Pork, to me, is THE ultimate bbq meat.
Tastes better, spices up extremely well, stays moist and is much more forgiving grill wise.
I make a venison kielbasa with beef suet instead of pork. That's my second favorite "smoked" meat.
I do like bbq'd chicken if it's well seasoned and well done.

I shy away from brisket because of cost.

I'm going to get pulverized here but anyone else not that big of a fan of brisket? It's good but I dont crave it. Smoker is for pork and poultry, Beef is for the grill imo. Go easy on me.
I’m not going to lie. I feel the same about brisket. When it’s done right it’s phenomenal, but in my opinion I’ve only had a few that were that level.

Great choice! I did vote rib-eye as
a- it’s one of my favs and
b- hard to screw up a steak trying a new setup unless you cook it to death

Back