What the heck is it?

KipCarson

0E08342F-C0DB-408D-B07A-D35FBA3249C8.jpeg

What in the world is this thing? My brother came across it on a recent scouting trip in southern Colorado. I can’t remember ever seeing anything like it. Some sort of gauge station to measure something? Maybe a back country hippie art installation or communication antenna used by the local fruitcake that’s trying to contact space? I’m confused.

Center tube is about right dimensions for precipitation measurement. The rest of it ... ?

https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/SnowNews/2012_photo_contest.htm

1.jpg

What is the purpose of the metal slats hanging down?
Let me guess. To provide a uniform amount of shading/convection throughout the day for more accurate measurement of snow accumulation. Or possibly to provide protection from wind disturbing the accumulation measurement.

Well I’ll be darn, it is a gauge for measuring something, not nearly as interesting as the hippie cult trying to contact space. Definitely don’t have those in Louisiana!
So someone actually gets way back in there mid-winter and takes measurements off that contraption. I’ll have to look into how that works. Thanks a ton guys, when he sent me the pic of it I told him, I know a group of guys who will have someone who knows what that is!

To keep the cows from rubbing up against it...
NO

I think it stops the winds from filling it up with blow snow or to stop the wind from blowing the snow out.
Correct, suppose to help block blowing precip from giving a false reading.

I've installed a few of these gauges. When they're active, they have propylene glycol in them to provide a liquid precip measure in the winter without freezing.

Yep, rain gage with wind shields. As noted, the shields stop updrafts around the collector from affecting the precip accumulation in the bucket. Appears to be non-recording, and installed in a poor location. You want to maintain 2X the distance from a vertical object as the object is tall. The trees around that one will block wind-driven rain (sideways rain).

To make you ask questions. (Yes, I'm a parent. ;) )

QQ
I'm a parent too. I was going to suggest that was the purpose for the whole structure as I've seen it asked before. We guessed snotel but couldn't figure out the slats.

It’s a government mind reading device disguised as a precipitation gauge.

Better double up on the tin foil layers when I’m out there now!

Back