What states offer the best NR tag values

Durango Mike

Another thread brought up MT, how about other states, what is the best strategy to obtain quality non resident trophy hunt tags? It has always been a probability game so making multiple applications makes sense, but what strategies keep costs in line in the application process. I have always applied in AZ, NM and my home state CO because the cost was pretty reasonable, about $500 total for mule deer, elk, antelope, in all, with moose, goat, sheep in CO only, with a 1 time only white sands NM hunt for Oryx. How are additional chances added and what is the implied value of accruing the various "preference" add ons in a "trophy" area draw?

Not for trophy potential maybe but for opportunities and length of seasons as far as big game go it’s Montana . U get 11 weeks to fill your big game tags , and tons of public and bma’s. The deer archery tag in ND is good too I believe for a NR it’s about $270 , and 4 months long season .

As a ND resident I think that archery tag for NRs should be $500+ . Not sure why they don’t raise it

I guess no one has a strategy that they want to share for trophy draw potential, not asking for your favorite GMU or honey hole, just on the economics of making multiple entries.

Not a trophy hunt, but some reduced price cow elk tags in WY let you hunt five and half months. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.
That is a good deal for sure, and elk in the freezer is always a good deal. I was on a nice WY grass lease for cows, bovine, and pushed out 20-30 bulls while I was gathering, the best ten were all in the 330 plus class with one giant that looked like 360 plus, paid me no mind as I was on horseback and had a half dozen bovine cows with me. It was the most bulls I had ever seen together and it was pretty cool. How are the cow tags allocated? do you have to pick a unit or is it broader?

That is a good deal for sure, and elk in the freezer is always a good deal. I was on a nice WY grass lease for cows, bovine, and pushed out 20-30 bulls while I was gathering, the best ten were all in the 330 plus class with one giant that looked like 360 plus, paid me no mind as I was on horseback and had a half dozen bovine cows with me. It was the most bulls I had ever seen together and it was pretty cool. How are the cow tags allocated? do you have to pick a unit or is it broader?
Yes, for reduced price cows you have to pick a unit.

I think when one states quality non-resident trophy tags the water gets murky. Bonus points vs preference points. Your age and how much skin you ultimately have in a particular hunt when and if you are ever drawn. I have had some great hunts being drawn with preference points but at my age, when I burn them that state tends to come off the list (except Arizona and they changed the rules to the disappointment of many). My hunting career will end with a sizable investment in points that will never get used. I prefer bonus points now as you still have a chance to draw a premium trophy hunt with little or no points. I remember a thread about point creep, number of hunters with x number of points and the reality that many will never draw the premium hunts in some states before they age out of the game.

I think when one states quality non-resident trophy tags the water gets murky. Bonus points vs preference points. Your age and how much skin you ultimately have in a particular hunt when and if you are ever drawn. I have had some great hunts being drawn with preference points but at my age, when I burn them that state tends to come off the list (except Arizona and they changed the rules to the disappointment of many). My hunting career will end with a sizable investment in points that will never get used. I prefer bonus points now as you still have a chance to draw a premium trophy hunt with little or no points. I remember a thread about point creep, number of hunters with x number of points and the reality that many will never draw the premium hunts in some states before they age out of the game.
I get it, at 73 I sometimes don’t even buy green bananas! Scheduled for a nice new titanium knee in January so figure drawing a good opportunity will give me a chance to test it out.

Has to be Wyoming. Even the special draws are cheap compared to how many fees you would pay in some other states like AZ, where it'll take you 15 years of app fees to draw. Not knocking my home state, they do a great job with the resources they have, just love how wyoming gives you opportunities

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back