What states offer the best NR tag values

And we’re are supposed to let NR come in and hunt our small needs of elk and moose ? Haha . Waterfowl , 14 days isn’t enough ???? Good grief ,
ND actually has more moose tags than Montana. Quite a few more.

10% of MT Moose tags go to NR.

0% of ND Moose tags go to NR.

Residents can’t even hardly get rifle tags some wait 5+ years so we are supposed to give some to NR? Ummm no . You can’t compare ND to the western states . It’s totally different we don’t have the habitat.

If people apply all over the state it is easier to draw tags. You have more game than we do in AZ and people wait longer but are willing to go anywhere in the state to hunt.

14 days is not that many if you really think how long the season is.

As pointed out by others ND is much more stingy than other states

Residents can’t even hardly get rifle tags some wait 5+ years so we are supposed to give some to NR? Ummm no . You can’t compare ND to the western states . It’s totally different we don’t have the habitat.

That is like saying some CO residents wait 20+ years to draw an elk tag. Why should they give NR elk tags? There were whitetail buck tags that were not taken in the first four choices and went to the second draw this year.

That is like saying some CO residents wait 20+ years to draw an elk tag. Why should they give NR elk tags? There were whitetail buck tags that were not taken in the first four choices and went to the second draw this year.
Plenty of otc elk hunts in Colorado .
Yes leftover tags in unit with no access and cwd

AZ has always treated me right fair...4 rifle bull elk tags, 3 late coues tags, desert sheep, multiple javelina.

The hunting/fishing combo is also a good value. I've shot lots of quail, doves, and done a ton of fishing in AZ and even caught and held a state record rock bass there for several years. Hard to know how many thousands of warm water fish I've caught there.

AZ for quality across the board is tough to top and its a high value state for sure.

A Fresh Tracks style Arizona smorgasbord hunt is on my list. Can't beat that variety.

I’m a big fan of reciprocity. If I was king of my state for a day, Colorado residents would be first in line for NR tags.
Wyoming residents better not even look at a damn grouse in a wilderness area without paying the man.

I might have to duck after I type this; Montana deer B for $75 any day.
How is this done? I am seeing license for $1046 for combo elk and deer.

Edited to add. I do see it is a doe only license now. Still trying to figure out the logistics. Is it private land only? Still available or do they sell out right away?

Last edited:
This is easy.

Nebraska NR youth tags are $8. Hard to beat that on a per $ basis. And you can buy 2 buck tags. Go during muzzleloader season all of Dec with much less pressure and you can shoot mule deer.

What do I win?

Last edited:
I’m a big fan of reciprocity. If I was king of my state for a day, Colorado residents would be first in line for NR tags.
Wyoming residents better not even look at a damn grouse in a wilderness area without paying the man.
If I was king of my state for a day I would only allow CO residents to be in the leftover draw as they give very few tags to WY residents but due to their poor opportunities for resident hunting in CO they all come to WY to hunt/recreate. There is a huge hunting trade deficit between CO and WY so wee need tariffs, state park camping bans, etc.. to offset. I suspect there are 10 WY tags purchased by CO residents for every 1 CO tag purchased by a WY resident. Sometimes on Friday afternoons I wonder if they even have hunting, camping, snowmobiling, lakes, in Colorado etc based on the traffic on 25 and 287. LOL.

I had a funny experience the other day as my mom from colorado came up and we took her car to go walk at Hutton Lake NWR near my house. The people from county 2 plates would not even say hello to us when we walked by, and I live only a few miles away. Funny to see how the red carpet is rolled out for the CO folks when they visit.

If I was king of my state for a day I would only allow CO residents to be in the leftover draw as they give very few tags to WY residents but due to their poor opportunities for resident hunting in CO they all come to WY to hunt/recreate.
I'm detecting some sarcasm, but I'll bite :) (caveat: I for one take everything WY will give me). To say CO gives very few tags to any non-residents is false. We give more tags to NR's than all the other western states combined.

And I thought we had beaten the 'CO Resident opportunity sux because their seasons are short' horse to oblivion already?

I'm detecting some sarcasm, but I'll bite :) (caveat: I for one take everything WY will give me). To say CO gives very few tags to any non-residents is false. We give more tags to NR's than all the other western states combined.

And I thought we had beaten the 'CO Resident opportunity sux because their seasons are short' horse to oblivion already?
I never said that CO gives few tags to NR's.

I said that there are 10 folks form CO who come hunt in WY for every 1 WY person who hunts in Colorado.

And yes I was kidding around but what I said has a lot of truth to it.

Pennsylvania is great for NR tags 101$ for your hunting license that includes a buck tag and turkey in that price. Also 26$ for a doe tag and if you want archery as well 21$ for that tag. So for about 150$ you can get up to 3 deer. Lots of public land and no draws.

This is easy.

Nebraska NR youth tags are $8. Hard to beat that on a per $ basis. And you can buy 2 buck tags. Go during muzzleloader season all of Dec with much less pressure and you can shoot mule deer.

What do I win?
+1

Nebraska NR late antlerless is ~$90, can take up to 2 does. Great value!

And we’re are supposed to let NR come in and hunt our small needs of elk and moose ? Haha . Waterfowl , 14 days isn’t enough ???? Good grief ,

No. 14 days isn’t enough. It’s a 60 day waterfowl season and it’s two 7 day periods or one 14 day period, so it’s not like you can even use the 14 days however you want.

Id love it if MN only ND residents ride their jet skis on our lakes for two 7 day periods all year.

Last edited:
Back