What states offer the best NR tag values

Has to be Wyoming. Even the special draws are cheap compared to how many fees you would pay in some other states like AZ, where it'll take you 15 years of app fees to draw. Not knocking my home state, they do a great job with the resources they have, just love how wyoming gives you opportunities
Agree from what I have discovered.

I would say a state the required a NR license to apply for a draw and has OTC options that you can use then same license and purchase a OTC tag..Idaho and AZ come to mind

Because you only give 1% of rifle tags to nonresidents so it gives us a chance to actually hunt your state. Why ND hates nonresidents baffles me
ND G&F doesn’t even like the resident hunters when it comes to elk. 1x a lifetime cow tag for the average guy, but if you have 155
Because you only give 1% of rifle tags to nonresidents so it gives us a chance to actually hunt your state. Why ND hates nonresidents baffles me
ND G&F doesn’t even like the resident hunters when it comes to elk. 1x a lifetime cow tag for the average guy, but if you have 150 acres in some elk country you can rack and stack bulls like it is your job, and you don’t even have to stay on your own land. Unit wide. What a joke. There was a time when NR’s couldn’t even shoot coyotes.

A lot of factors go into what constitutes value, and it’s not the same for everyone. Here’s what some of my factors are:
-scenic, interesting, unique, or remote terrain
-cost
-success rates
-relative crowding
-travel distance from home
-flexibility of season dates
-public land DIY

For western hunting, Wyoming pretty much takes the cake, between the female tags for deer, elk, and antelope, closely followed by their male tags where 3pp gets you general elk, 2PP decent antelope, and just 1PP for many deer options. This is especially true if you bow and gun hunt.

As a honorable mention, CO for decent elk draws in the 0-3PP range, and their fully limited mule deer tag allocation system.

WT - WI & MO. I’m less familiar with options outside the midwest

Turkey - MO, IA, NE, KS

Spring bear - MT & AK

Hates ? Who said that ? It’s quite obviously by our hunting and fishing license cost to NRs that we love you . $47 for a year round fishing license with way too generous of possession limits , cheap deer tags and cheap waterfowl hunting .

Hates ? Who said that ? It’s quite obviously by our hunting and fishing license cost to NRs that we love you . $47 for a year round fishing license with way too generous of possession limits , cheap deer tags and cheap waterfowl hunting .
I would agree with the fishing...I worked in ND a number of years ago and was camped near a lake. I remember at the time, a NR yearly license was $25...bought a license and fishing from shore, caught a half a cooler full of walleye, perch, and pike. In fact, caught a pike that was 41 inches and a football.

Always have wanted to go back and fish there again.

14 day limit on waterfowl. Multiple licenses for upland birds over 14 days. 1% of rifle tags to nonresident. 10% of mule deer tags for archery deer. No big 3. Yes the price may be with in reason but the availability to hunt is horrible.

14 day limit on waterfowl. Multiple licenses for upland birds over 14 days. 1% of rifle tags to nonresident. 10% of mule deer tags for archery deer. No big 3. Yes the price may be with in reason but the availability to hunt is horrible.
BS .... unlimited whitetail archery 4 month season . Year round fishing for $47 .

I would agree with the fishing...I worked in ND a number of years ago and was camped near a lake. I remember at the time, a NR yearly license was $25...bought a license and fishing from shore, caught a half a cooler full of walleye, perch, and pike. In fact, caught a pike that was 41 inches and a football.

Always have wanted to go back and fish there again.
The waterfowl and upland prices are probably on par with other states but the archery tags(whitetail are unlimited otc) are way too cheap $270 ish and u get 4 months to hunt .

As for fishing it’s laughable . Theres reason devils lake and all other popular walleye lakes are loaded with Minnesota and Wisconsin and Iowa people year round it’s cheap and we don’t check limits . And even if we did our possession limits are way too generous

In Alaska a non-resident can take a species of "lesser value".
For example, if you have a non-resident moose tag you could shoot a caribou or black bear on that tag in many areas.
Are there other states that have this provision? For example, shoot a mule deer or black bear on an elk tag?

Alaska has a guide requirement for Dall Sheep, Goat, or Grizzly/Brown Bear
unless the non-resident is hunting with kin.
Are there other states that require a registered guide to hunt some species?
For example goat or big horn sheep or grizzly bear?

Not that I'm aware of. In Colorado, you can hunt predators if you have an ongoing big game tag, but thats not quite the same as what you're talking about.

BS .... unlimited whitetail archery 4 month season . Year round fishing for $47 .
What is BS about what I wrote? And I forgot to mention that nonresident landowners can take all the tags before the tags make it to a draw, so most units don’t even have a nonresident tag available in the draw.

4 month archery and 47 dollar fishing doesn’t over ride all the negatives.

What is BS about what I wrote? And I forgot to mention that nonresident landowners can take all the tags before the tags make it to a draw, so most units don’t even have a nonresident tag available in the draw.

4 month archery and 47 dollar fishing doesn’t over ride all the negatives.
Residents can’t even hardly get rifle tags some wait 5+ years so we are supposed to give some to NR? Ummm no . You can’t compare ND to the western states . It’s totally different we don’t have the habitat.

And we’re are supposed to let NR come in and hunt our small needs of elk and moose ? Haha . Waterfowl , 14 days isn’t enough ???? Good grief ,

And we’re are supposed to let NR come in and hunt our small needs of elk and moose ? Haha . Waterfowl , 14 days isn’t enough ???? Good grief ,
Yes, Wyoming issues less moose permits than ND and we allow NR to draw 20% of the available tags.

Maybe its time WY takes ND's approach to moose and sheep.

Montana also issues less moose licenses than ND and NR's can draw "up to" 10% of them.

Same with UT

Same with CO

In Alaska a non-resident can take a species of "lesser value".
For example, if you have a non-resident moose tag you could shoot a caribou or black bear on that tag in many areas.
Are there other states that have this provision? For example, shoot a mule deer or black bear on an elk tag?

Alaska has a guide requirement for Dall Sheep, Goat, or Grizzly/Brown Bear
unless the non-resident is hunting with kin.
Are there other states that require a registered guide to hunt some species?
For example goat or big horn sheep or grizzly bear?
A non resident in idaho can use a deer or elk tag on a bear, lion or wolf

Residents can’t even hardly get rifle tags some wait 5+ years so we are supposed to give some to NR? Ummm no . You can’t compare ND to the western states . It’s totally different we don’t have the habitat.
And look at your deer quality compared to Montana’s. Montana could sure use some pointers

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back