What Mittens does Randy Wear?

Great thread! I save elk hides when the pack out won't be too bad and then have them tanned hair-off into leather. I just had these gloves and mittens made with one. I was very pleased with the turn-around time and the quality of the finished items. They do a lot of other stuff too, but if you're looking for mittens or gloves from your own leather, don't hesitate. http://www.clpuber.com/mittens.html

View attachment 66195

Very nice!! Addy & name noted. I have a couple I would like done.
I do have a pair of BF type elk choppers & ragg wool liners.I like fleece glove inside too.
Have some new thick warm wool mittens but need a XXL chopper now for those & subzero conditions,Hah.

@Big Fin, I realize I'm resurrecting a very old thread. I noticed that the Amazon link you gave in this thread years ago is to a North Star brand, but you've recently been wearing Frost River. Is there any difference between the two other than cost?

Frost River is the highest quality chopper I've ever found.
what is the coldest temps you've used these in and how are they with water?

I had a set of 'Arctic Mittens' that didn't keep my hands nearly as warm as I expected. I was actually just looking into these Choppers again when I saw this pop back up!

I've used them down to -35F on a bison hunt. When used properly, they are super warm. Combine with hand warmer packages as temps dictate.

Like all leather, they are not waterproof. Get them wet and they will lose their insulation performance. If wouldn't use them for super cold water beaver trapping, as they will not be as waterproof as some of my Gore-tex mittens. When dry, they will be warmer, but not when wet.

Thanks Big Fin!
I want a pair for winter up here in Fairbanks, I was wondering how they would do Snow Machine Hunting during the extreme colds. Its almost -30 right now.

But I also need something for the Cold Rains in September for Moose. I wasn't sure if I could waterproof them and use them for glassing.

Thanks again for all this and for being so active and responsive!!!

I've worn chopper mitts for decades. I have treated them with a liquid silicon base waterproofing product. It doesn't make them 100 % waterproof, but does help. If it gets below 0F, drop a handwarmer packet in them.

I grew-up wearing “buckskin choppers” in Upstate NY (and always chewed on the salty thumbs when I was a kid). My wife is a South Texas and North Florida girl. She thought I was nuts when I gave her first pair, but she would never part with them now. They become better with age.

i know mittens are warmer than regular gloves but arnt they not very friendly usable?
They're all I've cold weather hunted with in the last 20 years. Even in situations where I need to get them off in a hurry I can flick them off my hands very fast. Frost River are great.

My youngest son and I watch Fresh Tracks almost daily. My son told my wife that he wants mittens like Randy wears on the show. Anyone know where he got them from?
I bought some very similar from Murdochs and they are fantastic while also won't break the bank.

I want to get me some Choppers before next season - my biggest concern though is simply the waterproofing. Moose Season here in September sees a lot of rain with cold wind and slush.

I want to get me some Choppers before next season - my biggest concern though is simply the waterproofing. Moose Season here in September sees a lot of rain with cold wind and slush.
These are the choppers I have.....I got them because they are moose hide and from a mom and pop shop in Ely, MN. I have conditioned the with the Obernauf's I use on my boots. It has darkened them a bit but have kept them supple and repels the moisture(they are about the color of the darker ones on that page). I got the wool inserts and when it gets really cold I will drop hand warmers inside if I am sitting still. I have used them down to -20 like that with no issues. I can post a pic if you like. http://www.henrysshoerepair.com/moosehide chopper mittens.html

These are the choppers I have.....I got them because they are moose hide and from a mom and pop shop in Ely, MN. I have conditioned the with the Obernauf's I use on my boots. It has darkened them a bit but have kept them supple and repels the moisture(they are about the color of the darker ones on that page). I got the wool inserts and when it gets really cold I will drop hand warmers inside if I am sitting still. I have used them down to -20 like that with no issues. I can post a pic if you like. http://www.henrysshoerepair.com/moosehide chopper mittens.html
I’ll check them out.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back