what is you caliber of choice for antelope?

for this years hunt in wyoming,Im thinkin of using my ruger .243 with the hornady superformance sst factory loads,,,how does this combo work out at longer yardages{any input},,Im thinkin if its real windy of pullin out my 7mm mag w 150 gr bullets,but the last 2 animals i got with my 7mm really got some herendus meat damage in the shoulders,,,have shot my 7 mm out to 600+ yrds but have never tried my .243 out past 400,,,will a 95 gr .243 have enough knockdown out at say 500? the .243 appears to get wind drift much easyer than the heavyer 7mm bullets.appreciate all inputs.

Dan, from all the data I can scrape up the optimum game weight for that bullet at 300 yds. is 160 lbs. For the same bullet at 400 yds. it's 125 lbs., so following the same curve, I'd say that at 500 yds. it would be below 100 lbs., and given the average weight of a pronghorn it would require perfect shot placement (rare at 400 or 500 yds. in any wind) or just blind luck to get a solid hit on a goat and make an ethical kill. I know that stories of miracle shots have made the rounds of many a hunt camp and BS session, but I wonder how many of those shots were made with the use of a range finder, and how many were just wild ass guesses. A rifle bullet of average BC at 3000 fps MV will lose 56% of it's energy at 2000fps (about 325 yds.), and 75% at 1500fps (extrapolates out to about 500 yds.), so you'd only be carrying 475 ft. lbs. of energy at 500 yds. Hardly enough to get a bullet to expand properly or break much bone.
Wind drift for that bullet at 3100 fps muzzle velocity and a 30 mph direct crosswind with a range of 400yds is appr. 50.8 inches, (103" at 500). One good gust of a higher speed or brief lull along the bullet path could throw that off by a foot or more. 3100 is what I load my 95's to. Hope that helps in your decision.

Last edited:
Whatever you can hit an antelope with.

Yep. Whatever you shoot well. Antelope are easy to kill and need nothing special. I really like my Rem 700 6mm. I shoot100 grain Hornady Interlocs at 3000 fps muzzle velocity (chrono'd) and it is more than enough for those little guys.

tarheel....would you please stop confusing us with the facts??;) The .243 is a great antelope rifle, just not out beyond what Usain Bolt can run without running out of breath.

tarheel....would you please stop confusing us with the facts??;) The .243 is a great antelope rifle, just not out beyond what Usain Bolt can run without running out of breath.

Sorry, so much about guns and hunting is subjective, but the truth can be found in what's quantifiable. Too many years with tech data and research! Fire away and listen for the thump. Isn't that the way it's done?

A good share of antelope country is broken country that allows for good stalking. Most of the time there is no earthly reason to be shooting at them at 600 yards. HUNT and don't just SHOOT!

A good share of antelope country is broken country that allows for good stalking. Most of the time there is no earthly reason to be shooting at them at 600 yards. HUNT and don't just SHOOT!

+1!!!!! That is why I switched to only bowhunting them almost 15 years ago!

My choice for antelope.

I like the .243 for antelope. I haven't had the chance to go 'loping in the last few years but I look forward to getting the chance this fall.

thanks tar heel and upper deck,I think i will plan on my .243 if its not too windy and reasonable distance,but will have 7mm mag handy also,,,my 243 is much lighter and easyer to pack on hikes,,,my 7mm is about 10 lbs,,Ill just have to see what conditions look like once im there.I think the 7mm will be in my hands at least while im after my prong buck,then maybe the .243 for my 2 antelope doe tags to fill.thanks for the knock down data.

Oh Hell. if we're going for a new rifle, why don't we just go with a classic .257 Roberts, or maybe a AI ? !00 gr NP and good to go! Otherwise .....and I'll say it One More Time... 7mm/08. The 120 TSX Barnes is hard to ignore.

These folks didn't read the info on optimum game weight or energy. The 243 seemed to work on elk... ;)

http://youtu.be/hY0w1c-gf18

I've personally used the 223AI, 30-06, and 338 Win Mag on pronghorn and seen a 270 in action. All have worked quite well. They are not too hard to kill if you put the bullet in the right spot, but can go a LONG ways if you don't.

Last edited:
obviously, im hopin to close within 200 yrds if posible,sometimes it doesnt work,,,Im just thinkin about max yardages ,.243 vs 7mm mag,my 2 rifles i own,I know the 7 will get it done but have really torn up some meat with it,the .243 with a 95 gr bullet wouldnt tear things up as bad.

I'll be taking the Rem 7mm mag w/ 120 gr and the Howa in .270. Haven't got the Howa sighted in yet, but, I love the feel of that gun. Buy whatever feels good to you. . .you will know. Good luck.

My RUM and a 200 grain Accubond has ruined the safety of a bunch of them. Gonna give one a 190 VLD on October 6th. mtmuley

It is a personal choice decision. Any rifle will work well. If all you are going to shoot is antelope, then a 6mm Remington or .243 is all you will need. Just pick a caliber that you like and go for it. Antelope need nothing special.

.338 Lapua Magnum. When they run out onto the middle of the hardpan flats where they think they're safe, they're really not.
That is funny!! I know I've been taunted by pronghorns standing in a flat or large basin.

You might be the only person I know who takes a 260 on a grizz hunt and a 338 after pronghorn. :D

ruger77

ruger 77 in 308, used one for30 years .shoots3/4 in groups with hand loads and killed, antalope,deer, whitetail and mullies, black bear, mt. goat and bighorn sheep . would even use it on elk up to 200 yards.

Hmmm....I dont know. I've shot 4 antelope and each one shot with something different. I've shot them with .270, 30/06, .300 Win Mag, .50 cal muzz

Hoping to add a Bow to the list next year

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back