Caribou Gear Tarp

what is you caliber of choice for antelope?

pseshooter300

Just curious as to what caliber you all prefer to shoot antelope with. I would like to get me a new rifle and am in the process of planning a antelope trip so am considering different caliber for this hunt I guess this is a excuse to buy another gun.

I'm still waiting to get some new glass for my 25-06, and I hope it turns out to be the one. I've shot them with my 30-06 and killed my first buck antelope this year with my 7mm Rem (a little over kill). What kind of rig are you wanting to "RUN"?(just for Oak).;)

Well I really like the looks of the remington 700 cdl but don't know anyone that has one or would like to find a older bdl one of the good ones when remington made real good guns but I will take any advice on guns anyone wants to share always open to options and advice. Thanks

I haven't been able to draw an antelope tag after years and years of putting in (Idaho) so last year I decided to beat the system and go after one with a bow. Great fun!

I'm with mdunc8 with the one gun for everything except I have a 7mm.

It depends on what you want to put into a rifle also.
Do you have any rifles now?
If your buying your first rifle, and you want to just hunt lopes and deer. You wont have to have the bigger riffle.
Are you accustomed to shooting a bigger caliber? You need to shoot what you comfortable with to. Not just have a big caliber? I don 't know all the questions and answers to your circumstance.
There are plenty of calibers. and makes to choose from.
Imo just for lopes and deer. All you need is a .270 or .308 My preference would be the .308
The bigger game, ie; elk,,.moose,bear and such I would recommend a bigger caliber.
In s nutshell here's some of questions for yourself.
What can I handle
What am I going to hunt
Where am I going to use it

As for price there can be a wide range. Also think scope , don't buy a good riffle and go cheap on it

I have rem .260 .270 bdl. rug. m77 .300 sav .30-30 win,30-30 mar.44 , 45-70 Howa .300, .308
My choice for lopes would be the Howa .308 It has never been in the field yet. I love the the way it performs though. I used the Howa .300 This year for elk, which I didn't get one. I Also used it for deer for a reason. I was into some bear and heavy brush for the deer, and wanted knock down period.

If I could only have one rifle and hunt the way I do, It would be the .300
Everyone has a different preference. As far as price you cant go wrong with them either. I bought both the HOWAS at the same time along with, scopes ,slings, and three boxes ammo each for $1680
You can check them out by clicking on their link here. As they are a sponsor of ONYA Go to a couple different dealers tell them what you want and get their price. I checked at two different ones and there was a savings of$ 240 anD the second one. They get them for less than what the web says. Good Luck

Ya I like the looks of the howa but seems everyone I ask around my area don't know much about them and no this is not my first rifle although I have not shot any of the mag guns I have never really needed much more than a 30-06 or 270 around here for deer. Just trying to be prepared and doing my research. Thanks for the info

Honestly, You have all you need for lopes then. Unless your going to do more in the next year You will want a good spotter to and other items I would use that money toward buying Quality Items on your need list. I need to do a few things be looking for a pm as soon as I can get back.

Just curious as to what caliber you all prefer to shoot antelope with. I would like to get me a new rifle and am in the process of planning a antelope trip so am considering different caliber for this hunt. I guess this is a excuse to buy another gun.

I like your way of thinking! Everyone has their favorites and their dislikes. I bought a Rem 700CDL because I loved the look and feel, I love the gun but when the weather turns nasty I wish it had a synthetic stock and stainless, so keep that in mind. I have a Savage Weather Warrior (synthetic and stainless) with the AccuTrigger, IMO that trigger is awesome. My son has a Howa, again a great gun. I'm always looking for my next gun, the other night I looked at a Sako 85 Finnlight, that gun felt like magic but has a price tag that's pretty steep. Bottom line go look at lots, handle them, test trigger pull, etc. Caliber - again everybody has 'likes' and 'hates,' if you don't reload you may want to stay with something that hopefully will always have ammo available, like the .270 Then, get a good scope, I really like the custom and load specific turrets, like Vortex's and Leupold's turrets, but there are others available too. Good luck and let us know what you go with.

I've killed antelope with my 30.06,.243, and 270.But about 15 years ago I bought a Remington Sendero 25.06.Its heavy but I consider it to be my favorite antelope/deer gun when spotting and stalking is the game.The 117 g. btsp by Federal premium has served me well,with kills to 450 yds.I look forward to using this gun probably more than the others,for some reason,with bipod and and a 4-12x scope.It really boils down to personal preference,all these calibers are sufficient,except the .243 is very susceptible to wind drift.

I really like the 243win for antelope. I use a 87gr HPBT which is fast and flat shooting. All the antelope I have shot with this Caliber/bullet combo have responded well and don't go far or just drop in their tracks. Also, it is a delight to shoot with very little recoil.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back