PEAX Equipment

What is the 1 rifle you regretted buying or wished you never had bought?

When I was younger and not paying attention to details I bought a Smith & Wesson rifle in 270 Weatherby that someone had cut down to 21 inches. It was a noisy pile of crap that would not group and probably did not offer much over a reg 270 win with that short barrel. I eventually traded it off but have always regretted it.

Remington 597 .22 that jammed constantly, ruger 10/22 that sprayed bullets, Remington 770 in 30-06 that seized up after about 8-10 shots, a savage 116 weather warrior with accu-stock that was anything but accurate, savage 220 bolt slug gun that had the stickiest bolt I've ever worked, Tikka superlight in 308 that had a constant firing pin that produced light primer strikes, a TC omega that rusted no matter how well you cleaned it. I could probably think of more if I thought about it more.

I once bought a Ruger American in a .308. I was looking for a lightweight hunting rifle I wouldn't mind getting dinged up on rocks and whatnot. I know others have pretty good things to say about the RA, but I couldn't get that silly thing to group for anything. It really soured me toward Ruger. Which is unfortunate. If there were another Ruger product I wanted, I'd really have to work to talk myself into it at this point.

I would have to say the only one I wish I would have never bought was Kimber Hunter in the 6.5 Creedmoor. They claim its sub Moa gun I have one load that may be considered 1 MOA that it shoots. I sent it back to Kimber even they said I had to shoot 143gr Hornady Match Ammo out of it to get sub moa. I guess my complaint is if they advertise its a sub Moa rifle it should shoot most ammo under an inch.

My only regret is one time I bought an H&R single shot in .22-250. I wanted something cheap to mess around with on groundhogs. Never could get the gun to shoot with anything close to varmint rifle accuracy. It was a cheap gun though so I wasn't too upset or surprised.

I have some that I regret selling and some that I regret not buying

Remington 597 .22 that jammed constantly, ruger 10/22 that sprayed bullets, Remington 770 in 30-06 that seized up after about 8-10 shots, a savage 116 weather warrior with accu-stock that was anything but accurate, savage 220 bolt slug gun that had the stickiest bolt I've ever worked, Tikka superlight in 308 that had a constant firing pin that produced light primer strikes, a TC omega that rusted no matter how well you cleaned it. I could probably think of more if I thought about it more.

Man, I hope you buy a lot of guns to have that many problems. If not, you've got to be one unlucky gun buyer ... Lol

I didn't buy this rifle but I talked my cousin into buying a Remington 770. It never shot worth a damn and I felt bad for giving him some bad advice.

One other rifle I had that I wish I didn't get was a TC Pro Hunter. The thing shot well, I had 2 barrels for it. It was a gun that I could never love, I don't know if it was because no matter how many barrels I got it still felt like one gun or the plastic stocks. I was sure glad when I sold it.

First rifle was a Remington 742 in -06. Only firearm I've ever had slam fire, and that was enough for me to unload it for next to nothing to a gunsmith. Unfortunately, I was gifted another one years later, and passed it on to the same smith. I understand that series of rifle is popular back east, but I just can't get into them, or trust them again.

About 10 years ago I found a Weatherby Accumark in 270Win and a Mark V Ultralight in 257 Wby, both on consignment. I buying the Accumark, I wish I would have bought the Ultralight in 257 Wby. The Accumark, really isn't that accurate, and the cartridge really doesn't do anything exceptional compared to my other rifles.

Hi-point 9mm carbine. Cheap, but after I bought it, what was the point? It doesn't reach out for much distance. Bugger to clean. It's a pistol round. I'm not someone that goes out and shoots for "fun" just to put tons of rounds out. For that matter, my AR too. I bought it thinking the price would go up and I could resell it. Trump gets elected and that shoots that plan. Now I have an AR that I don't shoot because I don't like to throw tons of money down range blowing through ammo.

I understand that this may distress some members, but for me it was my worst purchase.....Ever. A Marlin 336, in 35 Rem.

Absolutely HATED the cross bolt safety. Always seemed to cross over on it's own accord at the worst possible time. Hammer went 'Clunk", deer gone!

The lever was too small to fit all my gloved fingers, only fit three, uncomfortable over an extended period.

Heavy for such a short 'Brush Rifle'.

Now, let it be known, I loved the 35 Rem cartridge! I'd take it any day over a 30/30. I wish it were offered in another configuration. I'd snatch one in a heart beat. (still looking for a Rem 600)

Traded it for a 14' Jon boat & motor. I caught about the same weight in fish as I shot in deer, but had a better time of it, so I guess I came out ahead in the long run !

Mod 7 aspersions not going away....what are the issues... Don't think I've ever read this many complaints on em.

Man, I hope you buy a lot of guns to have that many problems. If not, you've got to be one unlucky gun buyer ... Lol

I've bought more than my share of guns throughout the years. I am actually more of a shotgun guy myself and I've never had one issue with any of the shotguns I've purchased.

Kimber montana 7mm-08. Awesome to carry but I struggled to shoot it accurately while practicing field situations. Light rifles require good form

Winchester Model 70 in .243 WSSM. I was 16 and was a birthday present I paid for with my own money at the time. I put a super cheap Simmons 6-24x scope on it. Not sure what I was thinking really, especially putting such a dumb optic on it for MN. Anyways, I traded it in for a new shotgun a few years back.

Kimber montana 7mm-08. Awesome to carry but I struggled to shoot it accurately while practicing field situations. Light rifles require good form

Really liked that rifle but, like my youngest grandson, could not keep it still.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back