What is the 1 rifle you regretted buying or wished you never had bought?

Scarey

I purchased a cheap hunting rifle for my first rifle ( Remington 770). It was a .270 win and it shot straight but good luck feeding shells. Only good thing I got from it was my first deer and a respect for a .270 win. I still own the rifle because I can' t bring myself to selling that hunk of metal to anyone and feel good about it. My question is this, I don't care what the reason was but what is the one rifle you wish you never would have purchased and why?

I purchased a custom barreled 270WSM that shot bugholes with everything I loaded and have since sold it. This started me on the custom path and now I can’t help but like to build and try different custom rifles.

I've owned two Ruger M77's. One stainless MKII and a classic blued Mk1. Neither gun seemed to fit me well or shoot to my satisfaction. I think Ruger makes great products but I probably won't buy another M77. I want to like them, but I just can't.

Ruger Precision Rifle. Shoots great but should have waited 6 months for an X Bolt Hells Canyon which was the other rifle I was considering at the time.

Right after college I bought a RRA Varmit AR-15. Great rifle, will shoot 1/2” groups with range ammo, but the bull barrel makes it so damn heavy it’s almist impossible to shoot from anywhere but the bench. Really fun for the first year or so, but I’m bored with it. I’m considering selling it and funding a .28 Nosler build.

Investarms .223. It was the first rifle I bought myself as a kid. I was so excited to have my very own ground hog gun. I put a tasco world class on it. I was too impatient to let dad help me mount the scope. When I was adjusting the scope back to my eye I just slid it in the mounts that we're already snugged up. Left a giant scratch down the side of the tube. No biggie just superficial. Problem was, the gun only did 2" at best. I was typically blamed for the bad shooting until I finally made dad shoot it. It didn't shoot that good for him. I gladly traded it off where I bought it and never thought twice. I think I swapped it to dad for the .243 I was using for deer and he bought a Browning a bolt.

TC Dimension in .223. The idea was you could change barrels and for cheap. It didnt shoot very well, and it was ugly amd looked cheap. Was glad to get $300 for it when I did.

TC Dimension in .223. The idea was you could change barrels and for cheap. It didnt shoot very well, and it was ugly amd looked cheap. Was glad to get $300 for it when I did.
I was offered $100 for my Remington 770 and I couldn't bring myself to feel okay with selling a rifle that won't feed shells

browning x bolt stainless stalker, POS, never did get it to group. 7 rem mag caliber, but maybe a Tikka t 3 lite in 25/06, never got it to shoot better than a 3 inch group at 100 yards, gun got sent back to factory, they replaced it with another that did 2" at 100 yards, down the road they all went

Remington 7400 carbine in 06. Could not get that thing to group at all. I think the best group I ever got was about 6" at 100 yards. I killed a couple of whitetails with it but the day I missed a buck with 3 shots I damn near gave that gun away.

Savage BMAG in .17 WSM. Felt very cheap, shot terrible. Sent scope back twice before convincing myself it was the rifle. Also had problems with the casings cracking so I suspected the tolerances were not very tight and that the casings weren’t sitting tight in the chamber because the only time I’ve ever seen case crackings was when a guy shot a .270 out of his 7mm mag at the range.

I think the only gun I almost regret buying is my S&W AR15. It's a nice gun as far as AR's go and shoots fine, I'm just not a fan of the platform. The LOP never feels right, the noise in the buffer tube, just the overall feel. I'm not at all anti-AR and doubt I'll ever get rid of mine, I'm just a bolt guy and my AR will most likely just sit in the safe.

browning x bolt stainless stalker, POS, never did get it to group. 7 rem mag caliber, but maybe a Tikka t 3 lite in 25/06, never got it to shoot better than a 3 inch group at 100 yards, gun got sent back to factory, they replaced it with another that did 2" at 100 yards, down the road they all went

Ever contact Browning? Have a friend who had great success with their customer service.

I have a Savage 16 in 204 Ruger bought used that never really shot all that well and it has major extraction/ejection issues. Savage said I could replace bolt parts and fix the issue but still can't get it to eject empties. The barrel is about burnt so the whole thing will get an overhaul and probably end up as a 220 Swift.

I also have a Traditions inline muzzleloader that shot 1" groups all day long and something happened and now it won't hit the same place twice. Replaced scope, rings, bases, changed powder and bullets but still won't shoot. I have more into trying to get it to shoot again than I did in the original purchase. It has been retired and replaced with a slug barrel for one of my 12 gauges.

I have a Savage 16 in 204 Ruger bought used that never really shot all that well and it has major extraction/ejection issues. Savage said I could replace bolt parts and fix the issue but still can't get it to eject empties. The barrel is about burnt so the whole thing will get an overhaul and probably end up as a 220 Swift.

I also have a Traditions inline muzzleloader that shot 1" groups all day long and something happened and now it won't hit the same place twice. Replaced scope, rings, bases, changed powder and bullets but still won't shoot. I have more into trying to get it to shoot again than I did in the original purchase. It has been retired and replaced with a slug barrel for one of my 12 gauges.
I know the feeling. I have a 7mm-08 I used to be able to play all day in a thumbnail @100yds. Now it is all over the place. Really thinking it is the scope. I had a problem with the screws coming loose on the rings recently. I tightened everything up and now I am lucky to group in a softball. It is staying consistent vertically but all over the palace horizontally.

Back